Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Indonesia aims to sell only electric cars, motorbikes by 2050
A move towards EVs also supports Indonesia's ambitious plans of becoming a global hub for production, as the country ramps up processing of its rich supplies of nickel laterite ore used in lithium batteries..."

Reactions: SmartElectric
Last I heard they plan on starting the production line in July. Could be they have their head down trying to make that happen on time.

Rivian started contacting reservation holders at the end of May.

They are giving 4 week delivery windows starting July 22.

Some are getting "October."

Apparently, they ask if you would be willing/ready to take delivery earlier.

First deliveries are based on location(where they are ready with service stations) and configuration/options selected.

BTW Some reservation holders have not been contacted. Some have contacted Rivian and can't get any information as to when they might be getting their truck. Nor even a guarantee it will happen this year or next.

This should be interesting.

Rivian is going to find out how reservations translate into actual purchases and revenue for the first time. You could say where the rubber meets the road. That and what their demand is and how sustainable their revenue outlooks are. Tesla had a difficult time juggling all of this while they were starting up for the first few years. There seems to be a lot of pent up demand for CT, F150, ...etc... picks-up so I think this'll be a lot smoother for Rivian should they get their vehicles out in volume and it isn't awful.

Rivian started contacting reservation holders at the end of May.

They are giving 4 week delivery windows starting July 22.

Some are getting "October."

Apparently, they ask if you would be willing/ready to take delivery earlier.

First deliveries are based on location(where they are ready with service stations) and configuration/options selected.

BTW Some reservation holders have not been contacted. Some have contacted Rivian and can't get any information as to when they might be getting their truck. Nor even a guarantee it will happen this year or next.

I think Rivian's R1S SUV is a more interesting product than the R1T pickup. The R1T doesn't have anything that you can't also find on the Cybertruck, F150, Hummer, or the Lordstown. I don't see anything else like the R1S, a long-range, tow-capable, off-road capable electric 7-seater.

With $10B in funding and 5000 employees, they better have a lot more in the pipeline than what they've announced!

I think Rivian's R1S SUV is a more interesting product than the R1T pickup. The R1T doesn't have anything that you can't also find on the Cybertruck, F150, Hummer, or the Lordstown. I don't see anything else like the R1S, a long-range, tow-capable, off-road capable electric 7-seater.

With $10B in funding and 5000 employees, they better have a lot more in the pipeline than what they've announced!
1) Rivian has quad motor vectoring and tank turns. And a gear tunnel. In addition to the frunk and bed trunk( or full size spare storage).

2)R1T R1S and Amazon Delivery Truck with 100k orders is more than enough for a while.

3)The unrevealed prototype riding around Rivian facilities is what is described as Subaru WRX STi type vehicle.

Why the heck would you put hood scoops on an EV?

I think they mean compact all wheel drive sedan rally car. Not necessarily giant hood scoops and ginormous wings.

1623722805212.png

BTW This is the car Scaringe has always wanted to build. But he knew he could not build a business case around it. But with truck profits flowing at some point in the future Rivian can build this.

Last edited:
1) Rivian has quad motor vectoring and tank turns. And a gear tunnel. In addition to the frunk and bed trunk( or full size spare storage).

2)R1T R1S and Amazon Delivery Truck with 100k orders is more than enough for a while.

3)The unrevealed prototype riding around Rivian facilities is what is described as Subaru WRX STi type vehicle.

If they came out with a hatchback version of something the size of an Impreza my partner would be interested. The Bolt is about the right size for her, but she hates GM with a passion. She's in denial I had a Buick that was still running great at 24 years old. I only got rid of it because I bought my Model S.

Rivian has quietly moved its headquarters from Michigan to Irvine, California and most of their engineering is now based in California as well. No big announcements about it. I found out while going through the job listings on their website where in the list of locations it says Irvine is now their head office.

California is both more friendly to EVs and most car designers want to live in Southern California.

What Michigan needs to do is ban non-compete clauses for employees. Sadly I doubt that state legislature will do it.

California is one of a few states that does not allow non-competes. This allows workers to jump from company to company. Established, conservative companies may hate it when experienced people go to a competitor, but the movement of workers cross pollinates ideas and methods across the whole industry, strengthening the entire ecosystem against stagnation. It was a big help for Tesla in the early days to be able to freely hire experienced engineers out of other companies, and now it's a big help for California EV startups to be able to freely hire engineers from Tesla.

Michigan started allowing non-competes in the early 1980s. Nowadays, engineers at the Big 3 and at the top suppliers are restricted from switching employers. They can't just jump straight from one company to a competitor but have to sit and wait some length of time. Obviously, this hurts startups' ability to hire experienced automotive engineers. Tesla had an engineering site in Michigan from about 2005 to 2008, but they hit the same problem and wound up shutting it down and moving that work to LA and Silicon Valley.

Last edited: