Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The consensus among reviewers seems to be the Blazer EV is overpriced, especially relative to the Lyriq.

In CA Chevy dealers are asking full MSRP for the Blazer EV.

In Flyover Country there are discounts to be found.

1702538908374.png

This came up on the sidebar when I was watching something else on YouTube. It's about the Mustang Mach E, but the narrator also talks a fair bit about the conundrum the legacy car makers are in. The legacy car makers are going through the teething pains with EVs that Tesla went through 10 years ago and when consumers cross shop a legacy maker's EV vs ICE from the same brand, it often makes more sense to go with the ICE if you really want a car from that brand.

The legacy car makers are in the same position Kodak was in when digital photography came around. A lot of people like to talk about Kodak sticking their head in the sand, but my father had a direct Kodak dealership and the tech reps who came around were telling him back in the early 90s that Kodak was in a trap and there was no way out.

Traditional photography has a long tail most people never saw. The bulk of Kodak's business wasn't selling film, but selling darkroom supplies. Eliminate the darkroom and their business model completely fell apart. Digital is a completely different path from the image through the lens to the finished product (whether you're printing it or displaying it electronically). There is zero overlap in supplies and the supplies needed are vastly less. Plus the different technology opens the door for other companies that traditionally make other products to jump into the space and they have a leg up to do better than the traditional film companies.

The legacy car makers are structured to make ICE. They've been doing that for a century. There is more overlap between an ICE and an EV than between film and digital photography, but there are large parts of the ICE tech companies have spent billions developing that needs to be thrown out. And EV tech is different. Making a reliable EV takes a different engineering approach than making a reliable ICE. Again the companies have invested lots of R&D into making very reliable ICE.

So the legacy car makers are coming out with first attempts at EVs and inevitably getting some things wrong. For what you get with the EV, it's more expensive than similar ICE from the same company. Customers are getting burned from the experience and either looking more seriously at an EV only brand or they are getting turned off EVs entirely. Customers of the major brands expect a level of reliability that just isn't going to be there in the first gen EVs from legacy car makers. Tesla is getting there, but they are still a bit behind legacy car makers in reliability of their ICE.

Much of the legacy car industry may implode leaving the EV market to a bunch of companies that didn't exist when this century began.

Full page ad in todays Toronto Star

2024 Mercedes-Maybach EQS 680 4Matic SUV 21-inch

Battery (kWh) : 108.4​
Effective Price : $181,050
EPA Range (Combined City Highway) : 280 miles !!!!!
EPA Energy consumption (Combined City Highway) : 443 Wh/mi​
Powertrain : Dual-motor peak output 484 kiloWatts​

Last edited:
EPA Range (Combined City Highway) : 280 miles !!!!!

Most Mercedes underpromise and overdeliver on range.

1703413277859.png

Most Mercedes underpromise and overdeliver on range.

It really depends how 'range' is determined.... is it from 100% to 0% ? or until the car stop moving?

I think that it would be more useful to get a 'practical' range from 90% to 10% of SoC.

It really depends how 'range' is determined.... is it from 100% to 0% ? or until the car stop moving?

I think that it would be more useful to get a 'practical' range from 90% to 10% of SoC.

90% to 10% you are depending on the algorithm to tell you the truth.

Charge it till it won't accept more electricity and drive it till it won't go any further is objective.

Anyway you slice it Mercedes tend to go farther than rated range.

It isn't just Edmunds. Out of Spec and State of Charge on Utube that do range test also tend to confirm Edmunds above.

90% to 10% you are depending on the algorithm to tell you the truth.

But that's what Edmund's IS doing. Charge to 100% and drive until 10 miles of range is displayed. Any uncertainty buffer counts against the car.

Edmunds begins with full battery charge and drives an electric vehicle on a mix of city and highway roads (approximately 60% city, 40% highway) until the battery is almost entirely empty. (We target 10 miles of remaining range for safety.) The miles traveled and the indicated remaining range are added together for the Edmunds total tested range figure. We prefer to use a higher percentage of city road driving because we believe it's more representative of typical EV use.

Charge it till it won't accept more electricity and drive it till it won't go any further is objective.
That is the EPA test termination point:
In short, this is the approximate number of miles that a vehicle can travel in combined city and highway driving (using a mix of 55% highway and 45% city driving) before needing to be recharged, according to the EPA's testing methodology.

But what exactly is that methodology? First, the vehicle is fully charged and parked overnight. The following day, the vehicle is driven on a dynamometer — it's like a treadmill for cars — over successive simulated city and highway routes until the battery is depleted. The total distance traveled is then multiplied by a correction factor that the EPA has determined will more accurately reflect what drivers can expect to achieve in the real world. The value of this correction factor, which is always less than 1 but greater than 0, is determined by the number of drive cycles a vehicle is tested on.

Anyway you slice it Mercedes tend to go farther than rated range.
'tend'
Carwow did drive till it dies:
I drove EVs until they died… everyone's favourite left me STRANDED
Mercedes EQA claimed to have a range of 263 miles but in the test actually did 208 miles, 79 per cent of its claim range.
Meanwhile, everyone's favourite Tesla Model Y Long Range claimed to have a range of 351 miles but in the test actually did 285 miles, 81 per cent of its claim range.

As did Whatcar? in lowest regen
Range test: How far can electric cars really go?
Make and model Wheel size Battery size (usable) Official range Test range Shortfall Efficiency
Mercedes EQE 300 AMG Line Premium 20in 89.0kWh 365 miles 329 miles 9.7% 3.7 miles/kWh

Tesla Model 3 Long Range 18in 75.0kWh 374 miles 324 miles 13.3% 4.3 miles/kWh

• Helpful
Reactions: navguy12
I mtheir defense, Rob did say "most" in that post and "tend" in the other.

There is no ideal way to communicate range, pulling the five cycle test data from the EPA and adapting for one's own situation may be best.

I think the most appropriate number would be the Wh/mile (or miles/kWh) energy consumption, since range mostly depend of the battery size.

I think the most appropriate number would be the Wh/mile (or miles/kWh) energy consumption, since range mostly depend of the battery size.
But when range = kWh / (kW per hundred miles) both numbers are important.
A 20% more efficient car needs a pack at least 80% the size to have the same or better range.
It is sorta weird that the EPA EV range test is separate from the MPGe tests, versus ICE where range = official tank size * MPG.

• Informative
Reactions: Dayreg
The other car makers may have Osbourned themselves.

We will get new numbers next week but it seems non-Tesla BEV demand is down some but hasn't collapsed.

It could be because

1) people are waiting for NACS
2) people are waiting for immediate point of sale Federal Rebate
3) Tesla price cuts
4) higher interest rates
5) Cybertruck release taking some Lightning demand.

IF you DC fast charge a lot you might burn through adapters every couple of years if you go for a CCS car today.

IF you almost never DC fast charge then one adapter may be all you need for the lifetime of your next CCS BEV.

Reactions: navguy12
This popped up in the margin on YouTube the other day. It's a good case that buying a non-Tesla EV in North America before they all switch to the NACS is a bad idea.

The other car makers may have Osbourned themselves.
It's literally painful to listen to this guy. NACS does not use "Tesla protocols". It uses CCS. No debate on this at all. More than a half million pre-2021 Teslas are incompatible with NACS because of this. A $3-400 upgrade is theoretically possible, but I keep hearing from 3/Y owners that when they try to schedule the upgrade Tesla tells them it's not available for their car.

And why does he drone on about "every day"? Who Supercharges every day? Whenever I mention that 30 cent Supercharging costs more than filling up a HEV I get drowned in a sea of "95% of my charging is at home for 5 cents/kWh -- Supercharging is only for rare long trips". What does a typical user who takes a few long trips a year care if he has a NACS port plus a CCS adapter or a CCS port plus a NACS adapter? That's like issue #87 on a new car buyer's check list.

And why will GM's NAV s/w only be able to find Superchargers if the car has a native NACS port instead of an adapter? Nothing he says makes a lick of sense.