Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Blacklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry to tell it like it is...

• You didn't read the contract at all.
• You are operating a business without any meeting any legal requirements
• You won't hire an attorney, nor a tax accountant I presume to set yourself up properly.

You have a lot to learn about the bare basics of operating a small business. And if you think the IRS won't find you, oh they will. You have exposure from top to bottom.

Last edited:
Have you contacted any attorneys on the matter?
Better question, how much money are you losing a month not having the cars to rent out on Turo? I don't know about you but I would think you are losing more from not getting the income then you would have spent on an attorney filing a consumer protection claim on Tesla. That is unless your story is not entirely accurate in which case you wouldn't want to spend the money because you already know that your claims don't really hold water at this point. If you were renting them out and then sold them later you would have plenty of ground to stand on and your attorney would have easy recourse, probably pursuing through a consumer protection claim at first with the threat of lawsuit. Tesla would probably allow you a small but reasonable number of orders for your business with you agreeing to not resell the vehicles in a short period of time (less than one year or something similar, etc.).

You compared yourself to Hertz but it really isn't the same thing. Hertz sells cars after they have at least 35k miles on them. The fact that you've already said that you are only keeping the cars a few months, you sold at least a couple when they were literally brand new, you are doing it under your own name and not through an LLC or at least a licensed business all leads me to believe that Tesla was making the right call. With that being said, if I am wrong then a good consumer protection attorney would be able to help you.

Forget all the legal and small business discussions. I am surprised by the severity of the ban, but the bottom line is that Elon Musk has a vision for his company and that includes the desire for Teslas to end up in the hands of end users directly. He cuts out the middle men in all he does (check his vertical businesses, expanding every day).

Maybe its possible that if Tesla was contacted BEFORE an attempted early re-sale, then maybe they could allow it (if purpose was Turo, etc).

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I received the same email today because I didn’t like my Model X plaid and sold it a few days later.

I can’t even respond to them either explaining the decision of selling. I’m actually offended they labeled me a reseller as I’m not.

Not sure what to do either aside from never buying a tesla again for the rest of my life per their ban.

I received the same email today because I didn’t like my Model X plaid and sold it a few days later.

I can’t even respond to them either explaining the decision of selling. I’m actually offended they labeled me a reseller as I’m not.

Not sure what to do either aside from never buying a tesla again for the rest of my life per their ban.

If you’re not a reseller, then why did you say you were going to flip it for a profit and re-order? I mean - that’s kinda exactly what a reseller is, no?

If you’re not a reseller, then why did you say you were going to flip it for a profit and re-order? I mean - that’s kinda exactly what a reseller is, no?

I mean if you post online in a public forum that you are going to flip it for profit and then buy another that MIGHT have something to do with it.

I said that’s a big maybe in the post and I did not re order one as I decided against it.
If they actually had vehicles for you to test drive before ordering like every other manufacturer, that would make a huge difference for prospective buyers. Either way I have a right to sell a vehicle if I do not like it.

I don’t understand why tesla wants to control what a person decides to do with a vehicle. Instead of initiating a conversation and discovering the facts, they resort to a ban.

• Funny
I mean if you post online in a public forum that you are going to flip it for profit and then buy another that MIGHT have something to do with it.
Even if I did go through with that and reorder, which I didn’t, what is it to Tesla? If I sold it for a loss, would I still get banned?

Imagine you buying any consumer good, change your mind, sell it and then are banned from ever buying again.

What if someone had the misfortune of getting layed off a few days after buying a Tesla or some other financial emergency and had to sell their new vehicle. They deserve to be labelled a reseller and banned too?

• Disagree

I am not a reseller because I didn’t order this over one year ago with the intent to flip it. That’s not my line of work or where I derive my income.

• Funny
You are becoming a dealership. We know how Tesla feels about dealerships.

I’m glad Tesla enforces this.

A Few folks doing it here and there on a few cars seems harmless. Next thing you know there are lots full of Tesla’s marked up.

They are nipping it in the bud.

I think there is wording around renting too, that’s a business they want to get into and you are competing with Tesla.

I’m sure they just set a reasonable limit to trip the alarm.

• Love
I don’t understand why tesla wants to control what a person decides to do with a vehicle. Instead of initiating a conversation and discovering the facts, they resort to a ban.

I fully support Tesla in trying to weed out resellers especially with in demand products. It's like the people that line up at Apple Stores for iPhone launches and would buy 3-5 ( before Apple put the limit of 2) for the sole intention of only maybe keeping one and flipping the others. Those scalpers now prevented 2-4 people who would actually be the end user of those phones from getting one( multiply this by how many scalpers are in line). This drives people to the scalpers if they wanted one bad enough to now pay $200-$400 over retail for them.

Now people can claim( and it is) the very basics of capitalism, but I am all for measures in trying to ensure the end user gets the product instead of scalpers or flippers.

I am not saying you are one of them. Sounds like you didn't like the car and knew you could sell it easily. But I am for Tesla, Ford, GM, etc implementing these measures. For example Ford requires you to own the Ford GT for one year before you could sell it. Doing the same with the F-150 Lightning. GM is threatening dealers that they will withhold allocations of profitable vehicles if they mark up the C8 Z06.

• Love
You are becoming a dealership. We know how Tesla feels about dealerships.

I’m glad Tesla enforces this.

A Few folks doing it here and there on a few cars seems harmless. Next thing you know there are lots full of Tesla’s marked up.

They are nipping it in the bud.

I think there is wording around renting too, that’s a business they want to get into and you are competing with Tesla.

I’m sure they just set a reasonable limit to trip the alarm.
Is it my fault that car prices are high due to inflation? Before covid, you drive off the lot and take a loss if you sell. Besides, no one is forcing anyone to buy a preowned Tesla that's marked up. You can easily order a new one from Tesla's website.

Oh wait, they increased the price of the Model X plaid by 12.5k a few days ago, but that's okay as long as they make a bigger profit. Where's the pitchforks?

• Disagree
Is it my fault that car prices are high due to inflation? Before covid, you drive off the lot and take a loss if you sell. Besides, no one is forcing anyone to buy a preowned Tesla that's marked up. You can easily order a new one from Tesla's website.

Oh wait, they increased the price of the Model X plaid by 12.5k a few days ago, but that's okay as long as they make a bigger profit. Where's the pitchforks?

Im not buying that you bought 1 tesla, ever, and ended up on a reseller list with a lifetime ban.

I fully support Tesla in trying to weed out resellers especially with in demand products. It's like the people that line up at Apple Stores for iPhone launches and would buy 3-5 ( before Apple put the limit of 2) for the sole intention of only maybe keeping one and flipping the others. Those scalpers now prevented 2-4 people who would actually be the end user of those phones from getting one( multiply this by how many scalpers are in line). This drives people to the scalpers if they wanted one bad enough to now pay $200-$400 over retail for them.

Now people can claim( and it is) the very basics of capitalism, but I am all for measures in trying to ensure the end user gets the product instead of scalpers or flippers.

I am not saying you are one of them. Sounds like you didn't like the car and knew you could sell it easily. But I am for Tesla, Ford, GM, etc implementing these measures. For example Ford requires you to own the Ford GT for one year before you could sell it. Doing the same with the F-150 Lightning. GM is threatening dealers that they will withhold allocations of profitable vehicles if they mark up the C8 Z06.
I'm for that as well and in agreement. However, I believe if a manufacturer wants to do that, have the buyer sign a statement saying they agree to keep the new vehicle for a certain amount of time before selling.

I was not made aware by anyone at Tesla, I could not sell the MXP if I wasn't satisfied with it.

• Funny
Would you like me to submit you proof in a private message of my Tesla profile and all vehicles I have ever purchased from them?

Nope, but "All vehicles I have ever purchased from them" does not sound like "I bought 1 vehicle from tesla ever and now am on a permanent blacklist", which is what I said.

Would you like me to submit you proof in a private message of my Tesla profile and all vehicles I have ever purchased from them?
It shows all current and previously
Nope, but "All vehicles I have ever purchased from them" does not sound like "I bought 1 vehicle from tesla ever and now am on a permanent blacklist", which is what I said.
The only other Tesla I have owned and still have a MYP. I understand your skepticism, but I'm stating facts buddy. Hence why I'm upset.

They probably don't think that a few days is enough time to determine that you aren't satisfied with it. Selling that quickly makes you look like a reseller even if you aren't.
I can understand that, but you can't assume.

Either way it's fine. I still have a MYP and might sell it, although I love it, because Tesla has left me sour. I've had that 4 months and I'll probably get another ban for selling that too.

Other manufactures are rolling out with electric vehicles so it's not the end of the world.

More importantly, I just wanted people to be aware that if you don't like your Tesla after a few days, expect a ban if you sell it. If you take a loss, you might still get banned by Tesla for "Decreasing the value of their products" in the pre owned market.

• Funny