Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla blog post: AWD Motor Power and Torque Specifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does this mean we can close this thread? :)

The tone of TMC has changed a bit over the past few months. Some of the change I think was caused by Tesla, and the various issues that we have been debating here. There are clearly many strong and differing opinions, and that's fine. But in debating, in my humble opinion, we seem to have lost a bit of decorum and respect for each other, and as a result, TMC hasn't been as enjoyable for me and I'm guessing many others.

I know, I could just ignore these threads. That's a fair argument. But it's hard to do when you're searching for all new posts, plus I do have an interest in the topics. But the bickering, especially against each other, has become really tiring.

Tesla is going to launch their third car today. It's an amazing accomplishment for a company that was hours away from bankruptcy and still has many up hill battles to overcome. Perhaps we can take this opportunity to sit back for a moment and reflect on this, and come back to the forum a bit more relaxed? Let's not lose this great community.

My .02.

Andrew

Participating in the forums has not been nearly as enjoyable for me as it once was.

There are issues that have polarized many of the members, and while many on both sides, I'd like to think myself included, are still capable of reasonable, rational, respectful discussion of the polarizing topics, others, unfortunately, are not. As one of the more vocal members on the minority side of things, I've spent a great deal of time arguing when that had never been necessary before. It is frustrating.

I think almost everyone here is interested in seeing Tesla succeed. Some of us just disagree on what that success should look like, and what it's going to take for Tesla to get there.

Last edited:
Participating in the forums has not been nearly as enjoyable for me as it once was. There are issues that have polarized many of the members, and while many one both sides, I'd like to think myself included, are still capable of reasonable, rational, respectful discussion of the polarizing topics, others, unfortunately, are not. As one of the more vocal members on the minority side of things, I've spent a great deal of time arguing when that had never been necessary before. It is frustrating.I think almost everyone here is interested in seeing Tesla succeed. Some of us just disagree on what that success should look like, and what it's going to take for Tesla to get there.
I believe there are many Tesla owners who agree with your posts regarding the horse power issue. Many of them, like me, will pay for the upgrade since we have the funds to do so. Even though we have not been vocal about holding Tesla accountable for this issue tdoes not mean that we do not agree with your assessment.

I believe there are many Tesla owners who agree with your posts regarding the horse power issue. Many of them, like me, will pay for the upgrade since we have the funds to do so. Even though we have not been vocal about holding Tesla accountable for this issue tdoes not mean that we do not agree with your assessment.
I agree with this. I will be upgrading. In the grand scheme, another $7500 on top of $134,000, isn't a big deal. While I agree that to the letter, Tesla did mislead on the HP issue, they did deliver on performance, which to me was the most important metric. Even the acceleration from a roll is exactly what I thought it would be based on the initial performance numbers. I thought it was quite obvious that the "insane" acceleration was basically all down low. So, the relative lack of performance at a roll, didn't surprise me at all. I will be happy to gain some top end performance from the Ludicrous upgrade. I'm still not sure how the labor should be $2500?? That's roughly 25 hours of work. Anyway, I have been accused of being snippy and may have contributed to the change in attitude of the forums. I admit I do get frustrated sometimes with what seems like incessant repetition of gripes by certain members about the hp and performance of our otherwise amazing cars.

I agree with Andrewket. I truly believe Tesla can save the world and has gotten a really, really good start. I will certainly celebrate their/our achievement tonight. But, it's just so frustrating to see them be their own worst enemy at times. Elon/Tesla, I urge you: "Speak softly, but carry a big stick."

That is, underpromise/overdeliver.

Last edited:
They that think it was ok to add both engine power and write 691hp like they did before for P85D ,and says that us that did buy the P85D when Tesla had that spec on the website have no right to complain.
Would it be ok if they did add the large engine to the front and write it has 940hp? Off course still with the same battery that limit the power to max 415 kW.

Where is the limit? 150, 200 or maybe 500hp more than the car can ever make.

Last edited:
2500 = Battery out, shipped to somewhere technical enough to open the pack, remove cover, install contractors, get a power feed to the pyro fuse control circuit, close pack back up,ship back to service centre, reinstall into car.

Tbh they may have been better off offering a battery upgrade to 90 for $15k that included ludicrous.

No.
Basics.
HP = torque * speed
At every speed including 0, 6, 60 and 160 mph.

Torque is > 0 even at 0 mph.
Resulting in 0 HP at 0 mph.

For MSP90D max torque is constant from 0 to ~40 mph. It means the power increases linearly from 0 to some X HP.
It is perfectly valid to sum the torque from both motors. Problem arises at speeds where battery cannot supply enough power for both motors to continue at max torque. Any one of them can, but not both.

I am not taking anything out of context.

The NET POWER test is addressed in paragraph 5.3.1. The MAXIMUM 30 MINUTES POWER test is addressed in Paragraph 5.3.2. The general description of tests (note plural in the Regulation) is included in Paragraph 5.3. The note in question is placed in Paragraph 5.3 for a reason, and that reason is that it is relevant for both tests. The note cautions that MAXIMUM 30 MINUTES POWER measured according to this Regulation can be higher than the corresponding output of the battery, i.e. the test is performed without using the battery or any electric piece of equipment that would model the battery. The reason that this note is not repeated for the NET POWER test is that if MAXIMUM 30 MINUTES POWER is higher than the battery output, the NET POWER will also be higher than battery output.

You keep saying that this evidence that they didn't have to use a battery during the test but it doesn't say this. I've told you my interpretation of it previously. We obviously don't agree.

Nor does Annex 6 define a DC power source as something other than the power source supplied with the vehicle. You also keep saying that Annex 6 provides for a power source that is not the battery. Well that's only the case if the power source of the drivetrain doesn't include a battery which is possible under different types of EV drivetrains including drivetrains that use a generator or a fuel cell as the power source. If they specifically say battery then they are limiting the configuration of the of the EV power sources to ones that use batteries rather than allowing the power source to be the one that is shipped with the vehicle.

Further more, in Annex 6, the “Method for measuring net power and the maximum 30 minutes power of electric drive trains”, 2.3.1 DOES require attaching the accessories:

Auxiliaries to be fitted During the test, the auxiliaries necessary for the drive train operation in the intended application (as listed in table 1 of this annex) shall be installed in the same position as in the vehicle.

…which are not attached to the motor shafts(see 2.3.2 for accessories to be removed). And item 4 is all electric accessories. If the test uses an external DC power source other than what is normally supplied with the drivetrain, why does the test require electric accessories be attached? If you could pick any external DC power source you want rather than what is provided with the shipping vehicle, then it could be fixed for the test such that there would be no reason to attach the electric accessories which compete for power with the electric motor. You could just provide a DC power source with enough current capacity to make this irrelevant.

And then there's item 1 in the same table is:
DC voltage source

Which is to be:

installed in the same position as in the vehicle.

How are you supposed to install the external DC power in the same position as in the vehicle if it isn’t the power source that is supplied with the vehicle???? It’s because it’s a battery and not an external supply(in the case of this particular EV drivetrain). To me, this statement says the dc power source has to be the one that is supplied with the vehicle installed in the same place as in the vehicle.

The second mistake in your argument is that contrary to what you are saying the NET POWER test also has time requirements associated with it. It must be preceded by a minimum of 3 minutes run at 80% of the maximum power, and then the measurements must be completed in the following 2 minutes (with a combined test duration of 5 minutes). This is covered in paragraphs 5.3.1.3 and 5.3.1.4.

I said the test didn’t have a MINIMUM time requirement.

This is specific to this one test and not related to the "net power" test which tests the maximum horsepower which does not have a minimum time requirement like the maximum 30 minutes test but must test maximum horsepower at enough engine speeds to define a power curve (5.3.1.4)

I never said the test didn’t have to be performed within a MAXIMUM time limit.
The 3 minute preparation prior to running the test which requires running at a maximum of 80% for 3 minutes is not the test of NET power. It’s a preparation requirement prior to running the test.
But you already know I know that because I’ve quoted that exact paragraph at least a half dozen times already.

The point I was making is that the net power test itself doesn’t require measuring horsepower at each RPM for a minimum amount of time.

Now let's back up for a moment and assume that you're completely right. That still doesn't get Tesla off for advertising 691 hp:
  • Nowhere in ECE R85 does it say you can add the motor ratings up into one combined number and advertise that as available hp.
  • The owners manual, where it states it used ECE R85, doesn't combine the performance front and rear motors together into a single number. 691 never appears anywhere in the manual.
  • The owners manual lists 350KW and 193 KW for the rear and front motors which adds up to 728 hp. If they were adding up ratings , why doesn't it add up to 691 hp?
  • The advertising literature and their websites which said 691 hp motor power didn't specify that they were using a European standard. You only know that from the owners manual, not from the sales literature or published specs. I've shown a photo of that page to dozens of people and asked them what they thought that meant. They *ALL* think it means the car produces 691 hp and can't understand why it would say that if it really only produced 480 to 555 hp (daily driving SOC 30% to 90%).
  • If they were going to list a combined horsepower number, they had an obligation to list the power that the P85D actually makes. In addition, since the P85D is the only Model S to lose power as the SOC declines in it's normal daily driving range, they should have clarified that the 555 hp is only at 90% SOC or greater and that below that, power will decline as charge declines. This is not true on the other Model S variants until you get much deeper in to charge state.
  • Ignoring repeated multiple letters and emails over MONTHS asking for clarification about the horsepower rating. We get responses for everything else we ask but those that inquired about this got nothing. If they were being so above board about this with nothing to hide, how come they refused to respond to the question of "why is my car only making 480 to 555 hp (depending on SOC) when it was advertised at 691 hp"?
  • If "motor power" meant something other than horsepower at the motor, why wasn't that at least clarified in the literature? Why were we supposed to know it meant "not actual horsepower" when it wasn't defined anywhere?

I am not sure why you look so surprised to find out that, ignoring the limiting imposed by the batery, if motor shaft power of P85D is 1.5x of that for P85 at 10 mph, the same ratio would hold true at any point along the constant torque portion of the curve.
As I mentioned in my post it is just a function of the slope of this initial portion of the power vs. speed curve being proportional to the torque. The ratio of the slopes is going to be constant, i.e. equal to the ratio of the torque of P85D vs P85, which is about 1.5.

And why would we be ignoring the limits imposed by the battery??? Elon said the P85D has 50% more power than the P85. He didn’t say that the P85D has 50% more motor capacity than the P85.

In your previous post, you said this:

Essentally, the slope of the power vs speed curve in the constant torque region (up to approximately 40 mph, if I recall correctly) is proportional to the torque. So this portion of the curve (which is actually a straight line up to the point of maximum hp region) in P85D is much steeper than in P85, giving P85D a huge 0.8 second advantage in 0 to 60mph acceleration.

You weren’t talking about shaft power without the battery. You were talking about the specific performance of the P85D as compared to the P85. See, it’s in your statement.

You completely sidestepped the flaw in your argument by trying to change what you said by removing the limits imposed by the battery.

The main thing, however, is that you seem to interpret what Elon said instead of listening what he actually said. Furthermore, while interpreting some of his words and ignoring others, you seem to be oblivious to the fact that he is not talking about an ICE car (with the differences all laid out in JB Straubel's post) and he has ECE R85 definition of power in mind, which the company is clearly have been using for the P85D all along.

No interpretation is needed. He said the P85D has 50% more power than the P85. Not 50% more power at some specific speed or RPM. Like I said before, you removed the default qualifier of PEAK power and substituted “at a specific speed”. When you say car A has 50% more power than car B, one will assume, and rightly so that you mean maximum power. He's already said the P85D has 691 hp which is just about 50% more than 472 hp. When he said that, he didn't say motor power. Nor has Tesla corrected the pubs that publish 691 hp (none of which say "motor power").

So when Elon in his "D" presentation stated that P85D has 1.5x power of the P85 he was absolutely correct. Since P85D max. torque is about 50 percent higher than for P85, the power, up to the point of about 40mph **will be** 1.5x of the P85.

But again, your completely changing what you said to so you don't have to address what you previously said. The P85D maximum torque is 50% more than the P85's maximum torque. That does not mean it has 50% more power, it just means it has 50% more power at that RPM.

hp = torque * RPM / 5252

- - - Updated - - -

They that think it was ok to add both engine power and write 691hp like they did before for P85D ,and says that us that did buy the P85D when Tesla had that spec on the website have no right to complain.
Would it be ok if they did add the large engine to the front and write it has 940hp? Off course still with the same battery that limit the power to max 415 kW.

Where is the limit? 150, 200 or maybe 500hp more than the car can ever make.

Because the actual horsepower the P85D makes vs what was advertised would have been caught much sooner.

- - - Updated - - -

If the hp numbers are not correct when added together the total torque number for the engines should also be incorrect.

Actually, this is not the case. Peak torque comes at a much lower power level for each motor and the battery has enough power to allow both motors to output their peak torque at the same time. Peak torque comes at around 225 KW:

90SOC0to60PlusTorque.jpg

Although it's more complicated than that because each motor's RPM is slightly different at any vehicle speed, so the peak torque humps of each motor don't overlap exactly, but they'll be pretty close.

Last edited:
In my response I will concentrate on the interpretation of the ECE R85 because it is central to ascertain whether Tesla lied and manipulated prospective customers to buy upgraded variants of the cars and whether owners "got what they paid for".

My goal is not convince to you that we are dealing here with miscommunication, rather than malice by Tesla. You belong to the group of owners who unfortunately breathed and lived with the idea of Tesla malice for so long, that it is next to impossible to see things in any different light.

My goal is really to present enough information for those who have an open mind, but not necessarily have time or inclination to sift through the technical details in ECE R85. It is clear beyond any doubt that Tesla rated P85D models in accordance with ECE R85, which defines drivetrain as a system consisting of single or multiple motors, motor controller, and electrical equipment required to convert direct current into alternating current to feed the motors.

As I mentioned in another thread I am not really interested in debating Tesla missteps in communications, as there are clearly where quite a few of those.

Issue#1. Does ECE R85 require that EV drivetrain be tested with the manufacturer's supplied battery or not?

Nor does Annex 6 define a DC power source as something other than the power source supplied with the vehicle. You also keep saying that Annex 6 provides for a power source that is not the battery. Well that's only the case if the power source of the drivetrain doesn't include a battery which is possible under different types of EV drivetrains including drivetrains that use a generator or a fuel cell as the power source. If they specifically say battery then they are limiting the configuration of the of the EV power sources to ones that use batteries rather than allowing the power source to be the one that is shipped with the vehicle.

Further more, in Annex 6, the “Method for measuring net power and the maximum 30 minutes power of electric drive trains”, 2.3.1 DOES require attaching the accessories:

Snap122.png

…which are not attached to the motor shafts(see 2.3.2 for accessories to be removed). And item 4 is all electric accessories. If the test uses an external DC power source other than what is normally supplied with the drivetrain, why does the test require electric accessories be attached? If you could pick any external DC power source you want rather than what is provided with the shipping vehicle, then it could be fixed for the test such that there would be no reason to attach the electric accessories which compete for power with the electric motor. You could just provide a DC power source with enough current capacity to make this irrelevant.

And then there's item 1 in the same table is:

DC voltage source

Which is to be:

Installed in the same position as in vehicle

How are you supposed to install the external DC power in the same position as in the vehicle if it isn’t the power source that is supplied with the vehicle???? It’s because it’s a battery and not an external supply(in the case of this particular EV drivetrain). To me, this statement says the dc power source has to be the one that is supplied with the vehicle installed in the same place as in the vehicle.

The paragraph 2.3.1 of Annex 6 (see snap shot above) specifies requirements for the "Auxiliaries to be fitted", namely that they "be installed in the same position as in the vehicle". It does not define which auxiliaries are to be provided by manufacturer, or not. For this it refers to the Table 1 ("as listed in table 1 of this annex"), snap shot of which is included below. The table specifically states which auxiliaries provided by manufacturer -they marked as "Standard-production equipment". The DC voltage source is not marked as "Standard-production equipment" so it is not provided by manufacturer as you claim.

The Item 4 that you labeled as electric accessories, as seen from the screen shot below actually states "Electric Equipment" it indicates that " Electric Equipment" must be provided by manufacturers. The Electric Equipment is to include any other manufacturer's equipment which is not specifically mentioned elsewhere in the Table. For the Tesla drive train it includes power electronics module that converts DC from the independent DC voltage source listed in table's Item 1 to the AC feeding the motor(s).

Despite you cutting and pasting together (out of context) "DC voltage source" and "installed in the same position as in the vehicle", these two statements actually come from different unrelated parts of the Regulation. There is no requirement for "DC voltage source to be installed in the same position as in the vehicle " anywhere in the Regulation, as DC voltage source is not provided by the manufacturer.

Additionally, there is Annex 2 of the ECE R85 which contains exhaustive list of the characteristics of the electric drive train that is supposed to be provided by the manufacturer. Needless to say, Annex 2 does not include any data on battery/DC voltage source.

Snap123.png

Issue #2. Does drive train in ECE R85 include one motor or not? Is vehicle with two motors considered to have two drivetrains to be tested separately or one drive train with two motors tested as one system?

• Nowhere in ECE R85 does it say you can add the motor ratings up into one combined number and advertise that as available hp.
ECE R85 does address issue of multiple motors, in Annex 2 that I mentioned above. One of the characteristic of the drive train to be provided by the manufacturer is whether the drive train to be tested is "monomotor/multimotors" - see snap shot below.

This is also specifically addressed in JB's Blog Post:
Since the battery electric horsepower rating varies it is not a precise number to use for specifying the physical capability of an EV. The motor shaft horsepower, when operating alone, is a more consistent rating. In fact, it is only this (single or combined) motor shaft horsepower rating that is legally required to be posted in the European Union.

Snap121.png

Last edited:
In my response I will concentrate on the interpretation of the ECE R85 because it is central to ascertain whether Tesla lied and manipulated prospective customers to buy upgraded variants of the cars and whether owners "got what they paid for".

Quick question... did you have knowledge of ECE R85 when Tesla launched the P85D, and did you clearly understand the HP rating (as you claim now) at the time the car was launched? Or did your knowledge of ECE R85 come up in your attempts to defend Tesla's HP rating? I believe the answer to this is very important. In other words, what did you believe to be true at the time the P85D was launched? Did you read the HP spec and say to yourself, "okay, that's according to ECE R85 and I know the car may not output that specified HP", or did you believe - as most here did - that the 691 HP listed reflected achievable performance?

Thanks for the detailed analysis. However, as others and I have stated before, the ECE R85 rating is basically equivalent to SAE Gross and is considered misleading in and of itself, regardless of whether the rating published by Tesla was correct or not. I'm sure you'll agree that it is not acceptable for an ICE manufacturer to rate their cars using SAE Gross today, because we realised some 40 years ago that SAE Gross is basically BS and decided to stop using it.

Quick question... did you have knowledge of ECE R85 when Tesla launched the P85D, and did you clearly understand the HP rating (as you claim now) at the time the car was launched? Or did your knowledge of ECE R85 come up in your attempts to defend Tesla's HP rating? I believe the answer to this is very important. In other words, what did you believe to be true at the time the P85D was launched? Did you read the HP spec and say to yourself, "okay, that's according to ECE R85 and I know the car may not output that specified HP", or did you believe - as most here did - that the 691 HP listed reflected achievable performance?

I knew even before the launch of the D that the battery will be the limiting factor for the maximum power that p85D will be able to put to the motor shafts. Here is my TMC post just hours before the event speculating that total throughput of the car's propulsion system will likely be in the 480-500hp (turned out to be not a bad informed guess). So I knew that the car battery will likely limit the maximum hp throughput to be less than 500hp.

About a week after the event, I read article by David Nolan of the Green Car Reports that not only explained the new way Tesla was reporting power, but even reported that company is working on an update to the website to explain the "motor power" term. Looking at the article now, it appears that David Nolan had a contact inside Tesla because otherwise he would not know that company is working on the update to the website explaining term "motor power". Here is the pertinent excerpts from the article. Aside from getting some details wrong the article has just the information that some owners now lament was nowhere to be found at the time:

Previously, the horsepower number referred to the maximum power that the motor-inverter-battery combination could produce.

It corresponded to the way horsepower is traditionally measured in cars, and accurately reflected the performance of the various models.

The new horsepower number, however, is simply a measure of the maximum power that the motor itself is capable of producing. It does not take into account any limitations imposed by the particular battery and inverter that power that motor in a specific vehicle.

In summary, this information was not a secret at the time, and yes I understood what "motor power" meant. At the time I also considered upgrading my P85+ to P85D. The main draw for me was not maximum horsepower because as I and many others pointed out multiple times maximum horsepower is just a single point on the power vs. speed curve, and regardless of what authors of the letter to Elon wrote, even in conjunction with the weight of the car **do not uniquely identify performance (acceleration)**. Per my post linked above I expected car to have 0 to 60 time of around 3.5s and was absolutely thrilled at the prospect of the upgrade which was advertised to give zero to 60 mph acceleration of 3.2s. The power output of the car was not a factor to me at all. Unfortunately I was not in a position to pull the trigger as my family completed transition from two incomes to one and I decided against spending large sum of money required for the upgrade.

You can count me in as another one that understood motor power to mean something different than what people here have been suggesting but rather how Straubel put it in his blog post. Like vgrinshpun, I read the David Noland article back when it came out and it made complete sense to me. Back then the P85D wasn't even the main thing. It was the S60 and S85 having the same power numbers. If the number was a reflection of achievable performance that factored in the battery, that would not make sense given it is known the S60 is battery limited.

Thanks for the detailed analysis. However, as others and I have stated before, the ECE R85 rating is basically equivalent to SAE Gross and is considered misleading in and of itself, regardless of whether the rating published by Tesla was correct or not. I'm sure you'll agree that it is not acceptable for an ICE manufacturer to rate their cars using SAE Gross today, because we realised some 40 years ago that SAE Gross is basically BS and decided to stop using it.

I would suggest that you should not look at the EVs trough the prism of SAE standards. Here is the excerpt from a website explaining the Gross Horsepower Ratings:

Before 1972, most American engines were rated under the methodology laid out in Society of American Engineers (SAE) standards J245 and J1995, which calculated the output of a ‘bare’ engine on a test stand with no accessories, free-flowing exhaust headers (no mufflers), and optimal ignition timing, with a correction factor for standard atmospheric conditions.What does all that mean? The engine in your car is burdened with various engine-driven accessories ranging from the engine’s own oil and water pumps and generator/alternator to the power steering pump and air conditioning compressor, each of which consumes a certain amount of power. An engine in a passenger car also has mufflers and an exhaust system designed for quiet operation rather than low back pressure, while the ignition is retarded to prevent detonation with pump gasoline. Meanwhile, carburetor jetting and fuel injection calibration are aimed at fuel economy and driveability, not maximum power. The gross rating reflects none of these losses; it represents an engine’s theoretical maximum output under ideal conditions, not how much power it actually produces when installed in a car.

Now I have queston for you: does any of this apply to an EV drivetrain? Are there limitations of exhaust, emission control system and belt driven auxiliaries? So why do you think any of the SAE analogy is pertinent to the EV?

- - - Updated - - -

You can count me in as another one that understood motor power to mean something different than what people here have been suggesting but rather how Straubel put it in his blog post. Like vgrinshpun, I read the David Noland article back when it came out and it made complete sense to me. Back then the P85D wasn't even the main thing. It was the S60 and S85 having the same power numbers. If the number was a reflection of achievable performance that factored in the battery, that would not make sense given it is known the S60 is battery limited.

To add to this, Stopcrazypp posted this more than one time in the threads that were focused on Tesla "lies", but unfortunately this was just falling on the deaf ears...

The table specifically states which auxiliaries provided by manufacturer -they marked as "Standard-production equipment". The DC voltage source is not marked as "Standard-production equipment" so it is not provided by manufacturer as you claim.
That is exactly what stood out to me. If the DC voltage source was supposed to be the production equipment, the table would say that.

I'll also provide another counter example about his "Installed in the same position as in vehicle" point. Look at #5 of the same table 1 "bench test auxiliary fan". That is a item that clearly does not exist in a production vehicle, but it also is included in the same table. Thus, "Installed in the same position as in vehicle" obviously does not apply to all items in the list, only to the items where it specifies it must be production equipment.

Additionally, there is Annex 2 of the ECE R85 which contains exhaustive list of the characteristics of the electric drive train that is supposed to be provided by the manufacturer. Needless to say, Annex 2 does not include any data on battery/DC voltage source.
That is another point I noticed too. Annex 2 only specifies a test voltage. It specifies nothing else about the DC voltage source (in fact doesn't even mention it at all). If that was a part of the electric drive train in test, it does not make sense to not even specify at least the current limits. Whereas for the motor controller it goes into detail (including current levels during test). Similarly it goes into detail about the cooling system. Looking at the data expected it does not support that ECE R85 is inclusive of the production DC voltage source into the "electric drivetrain" under test.

About a week after the event, I read article by David Nolan of the Green Car Reports that not only explained the new way Tesla was reporting power, but even reported that company is working on an update to the website to explain the "motor power" term. Looking at the article now, it appears that David Nolan had a contact inside Tesla because otherwise he would not know that company is working on the update to the website explaining term "motor power". Here is the pertinent excerpts from the article. Aside from getting some details wrong the article has just the information that some owners now lament was nowhere to be found at the time:

I hadn't read that article until just now. Do you really think what may have turned out to be the correct explanation being published in one relatively obscure article should have been able to mitigate the confusion caused by all the publicity over the 691 HP figure? I don't.

What I do think however, is that you left out one really significant excerpt from that article. This one:

"The company is already working on an update to the website to explain this distinction between net power and "motor power."

So...what happened with respect to that update, written about in October 2014 as being "already being worked on?" Did it become the JB Straubel blog post, published a couple of weeks ago, almost a full year later? Or did Tesla just decide it wasn't in their best interests to actually provide that information?

I think in your zeal to defend Tesla, you just led us straight to another smoking gun.