Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla car battery to power my house

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't suggest suicide cords or setups that can backfeed the grid. A 12V inverter is not going to be able to start/ run household appliances. Back feeding though a 15 or 20 amp circuit is asking for trouble like only partly feed the 240 loads.
You're absolutely right about the danger of backfeeding house wiring through a receptacle, but the right inverter will absolutely start almost any household appliance. The battery can put out an awful lot of amps before the voltage drops too far and if (the "if" is important here) the DC-DC converter is operating at the same time, you should get pretty reliable voltage up to some pretty high output.

I can start a refrigerator or easily run a 1500W (resistive) appliance off my inverter connected to my Bolt (I haven't yet tried to add the connections to the Tesla because my wife might have a fit), but my intent is to use it only for refrigeration, lighting and other low wattage necessities during power failures. In the winter, I'd probably have to connect my gas furnace, but that's the biggest load I'd expect to run. I wouldn't recommend it for a large well pump.

Need to make sure not to turn on large appliances or ACs, etc. just the lights (use LED), internet, TVs and computers, etc. which should not be more than 1kw, so 15 or 20 amp should be enough.If you need to run fridge, you need to turn off other ones to make sure total power is within the limit. Also the 20amp circuit breaker can protect the inverter/Tesla.
No.

You can power those things, but use extension cords. Backfeeding a panel is dangerous and can kill utility workers or possibly neighbors. Do not put power into your home wiring without a transfer switch installed by someone who knows exactly what they're doing.

Just no. Or do it and find a really big grumpy utility company linesman and tell him what you're doing. The beating may knock some sense into you.

In the "MODEL S OWNER'S MANUAL" for Europe, "2018.48.12 December 17, 2018", under Battery Information:

"Caution: Do not use the Battery as a stationary power source. Doing so voids the warranty."
If I wrote the owner's manual for Tesla, I'd add language like that too, but I'd also tell Tesla that, unless the forbidden action actually causes the problem that requires repair, this language is almost certainly unenforceable in a consumer warranty. Used as an occasional backup during outages such harm is probably unlikely, so there should be no real warranty consequences. (Talk to an electrical engineer if you want real advice on this that is better than "probably unlikely." if you do this and damage your battery, it's on you, not me.)

I'd also advise Tesla to state that such use can result in a loss of free SuperCharger privileges because Tesla doesn't want to be anyone's free power utility.

Yeah, but there are only two EVs that I'm aware of that will provide power to such a device, the Leaf and a Mitsubishi and putting a Tesla connector on the thing won't cause the Tesla to suddenly starty providing power out through its charge port. You probably COULD rewire your car so you could force the battery to connect and power the port, but I wouldn't try it.

No.

You can power those things, but use extension cords. Backfeeding a panel is dangerous and can kill utility workers or possibly neighbors. Do not put power into your home wiring without a transfer switch installed by someone who knows exactly what they're doing.

Just no. Or do it and find a really big grumpy utility company linesman and tell him what you're doing. The beating may knock some sense into you.

The right way to do this is using a generator transfer switch. You add a special circuit breaker that provides the backfeed, but the only way to turn the circuit breaker on is to turn the mains power off (and vice versa).

I have something like this in my garage, with a L14-30 on the outside of the house that feeds my circuit breaker from a portable generator.

272074d1341419553-generator-transfer-switch-connection-choices-2011-10-20_13-12-11_726-a

I would turn off the main switch before plugging in the backfeed. Are there any other concerns?

The right way to do this is using a generator transfer switch. You add a special circuit breaker that provides the backfeed, but the only way to turn the circuit breaker on is to turn the mains power off (and vice versa).

I have something like this in my garage, with a L14-30 on the outside of the house that feeds my circuit breaker from a portable generator.

272074d1341419553-generator-transfer-switch-connection-choices-2011-10-20_13-12-11_726-a

This is only for rare power outage like the recent PG&E, which has never happened for the past 5 years. A $10k powerwall is an overkill for such a rare case. A $300 2.2kw inverter serves as a good emergency kit. The whole house runs about 500w to 800w with refrigerator. I can even power microwave and space heater occasionally (not the same time). It should not affect the battery much if only using it a few times in the life time of the Model X.

Last edited:
This is only for rare power outage like the recent PG&E, which has never happened for the past 5 years. A $10k powerwall is an overkill for such a rare case. A $300 2.2kw inverter serves as a good emergency kit. The whole house runs about 500w to 800w with refrigerator. I can even power microwave and space heater occasionally (not the same time). It should not affect the battery much if only using it a few times in the life time of the Model X.
Where do I find your $300 2.2 kW inverter?

Where do I find your $300 2.2 kW inverter?
Seems an awful lot of money for a mere 2.2kw inverter..try ebay. Personally I wouldn't use one on a Tesla or one that size on any car with a smallish 12v battery and recharge/alternator system. Perhaps on a large diesel engine job. For not much more, you can buy a standby petrol genny with decent power output. I live very rurally and do own an inverter for attaching to wife’s 4x4 or tractor for simple power tool use but it struggles to do anything useful when I tried it in the house. Crank up the 7KW electric start petrol jobbie and I can run borehole pump. 2 freezers, 2 fridges, kettle, entertainment. microwave etc with just a few easy extension leads all for £500. I’d go for solar panels and a powerwall for convenience, but suppliers keep letting me down. Plugging anything into the mains is not on unless you have correct isolators fitted to avoid frying energy company repairmen.