Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla car window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunate. I’d give them a bad review on Yelp. They need to do a better job of protecting their patrons, by at least putting up security cameras. Sadly, it could even be staff, or someone tipping off a friend.

Umm no. It’s not the responsibility of every place on the planet to put up surveillance to ensure bad guys don’t do bad stuff. The easiest way to prevent things like this from happening is to not leave valuables (like the long list of stuff that was taken from the poster’s car) in your car or in plain view for criminals to see. These are crimes of opportunity and if a criminal doesn’t see anything at all in a car the likelihood they break a window to sift around is incredibly low - they’ll just move on to an easy target with stuff in plain view.

I'm not suggesting the OP did this. Just a gentle reminder to eveyrone - not to.

N-e-v-e-r open the trunk or frunk at your destination and stow anything. From a distance or near, someone watching can't tell if that was a brown bag of apple cores or duffel of $20 bills. You are just inviting trouble and telegraphing that you are leaving something behind in the car. If it requires stopping miles before your destination just to put stuff in the back or frunk - do it. You simply don't know if someone is watching near or far when you park. It could be five minutes after you are out of sight and they can grab and be gone. Don't take the chance.

Last edited:
If the car is locked and a thief gains interior access by breaking a window, does the touchscreen allow them to open the frunk ?

good question, but i highly doubt that would be possible.

That’s the only reasonably secure location in the Model 3.

But really, there’s no reason to leave valuable items in a car parked in a public area.

the frunk isn't secure either, as it can be opened with a simple 9v battery. you could make the argument that the sub-compartment in the trunk is more secure.

Reactions: ftlum
the frunk isn't secure either, as it can be opened with a simple 9v battery. you could make the argument that the sub-compartment in the trunk is more secure.
LOL. Parking lots are chock-a-block with thieves carrying 9v batteries armed with the knowledge of how to use them to open Tesla frunks. Please resist the urge to post a how-to video.

So sad to read this, OP. I can only imagine it feels like a massive violation. My best advice, in addition to what's been given here, is to fold the back seats down when you're in a national park, assuming you've nothing valuable in there. Thieves are likely to peer in before smashing windows, and if back seats are up - that's still a potential target. If your back seats are down, they can see into the trunk, see nothing is there, and will move on. Heck, leave valuables in the sub trunk if you must, and leave the back seats down.

Reactions: crackers8199
Felt horrible for you reading your post and what you've had to go through. We had a rear side triangular window broken into on our MS and seat flipped down but nothing inside our car to take. Still that leaves you a horrible feeling and it doesn't compare to your situation. Lots of good info on steps to take from members on here. Do you have a garage to park your car in until it can be repaired from the break in? Having a window broken out was one of the bad aspects of it especially if it rains. Hope the glass repair time is quick.

Missouri has awesome gun laws including Stand Your Ground and allows carry in state parks as well. Missouri is a constitutional carry state, no permit is required to carry a firearm if you meet the requirements to possess a firearm.

Missouri Gun Laws | GunsToCarry Guide

stand your ground does not give you the right to shoot someone who is breaking into your car, unless they're doing so while you're sitting inside it and meaning to cause you harm at the same time.

So sad to read this, OP. I can only imagine it feels like a massive violation. My best advice, in addition to what's been given here, is to fold the back seats down when you're in a national park, assuming you've nothing valuable in there. Thieves are likely to peer in before smashing windows, and if back seats are up - that's still a potential target. If your back seats are down, they can see into the trunk, see nothing is there, and will move on. Heck, leave valuables in the sub trunk if you must, and leave the back seats down.

yup. i've gotten into the habit now of folding the back seat down if i know i'm going to be parked somewhere for any length of time, even more so if it's in a spot i'm not familiar with. sad that we have to do that now, but it's a small price to pay to hopefully prevent someone from breaking into the car.

stand your ground does not give you the right to shoot someone who is breaking into your car, unless they're doing so while you're sitting inside it and meaning to cause you harm at the same time.

Missouri has stand your ground laws that do not require a person to retreat if they feel threatened. Therefore if the perp breaks into his car, the owner of the car confronts the perp and then feels threatened, then he may engage the target. You don't have to be in the car, you just have to feel threatened by the perps actions.

Example: He turns with a crowbar in his hands after breaking the car window and moves rapidly towards you, or he turns and faces you with his hand concealed, or he turns and moves toward your spouse with crowbar, etc. etc.

No technically you can't shoot him for breaking into your car, you have to "feel" threatened. So before you shoot, while your spouse films it, repeat loudly three times, I feel threatened, I feel threatened, I feel threatened, then you can engage the perp within the terms of Stand your ground.

Stand-your-ground law - Wikipedia establishes a right by which a person may defend one's self or others (right of self-defense) against threats or perceived threats, even to the point of applying lethal force, regardless of whether safely retreating from the situation might have been possible. Such a law typically states that an individual has no duty to retreat from any place where they have a lawful right to be[1] (though this varies from state to state) and that they may use any level of force if they reasonably believe the threat rises to the level of being an imminent and immediate threat of serious bodily harm and/or death.

Last edited:
No technically you can't shoot him for breaking into your car, you have to "feel" threatened. So before you shoot, while your spouse films it, repeat loudly three times, I feel threatened, I feel threatened, I feel threatened, then you can engage the perp within the terms of Stand your ground.

speaking as a responsible gun owner, stuff like this is the reason people want gun control. you (and anyone else who says stupid sh*t like this) are making the argument for them.

if you confront them and they attack you, of course you have the right to defend yourself...but to just have your spouse stand there and film you saying "i feel threatened?" that's nonsense.

Your car being broken into likely has nothing to do with it being a Tesla. Hiking spots are a very popular place for crooks to break into cars. They figure people are leaving their purse etc in the car because people don’t bring that stuff with them hiking. Don’t leave anything valuable in your car, ever.

At the least, put it in the glove box or the frunk and valet mode. Both of those locations are inaccessible in valet.

Breaking into cars is big rewards and low risk. Robbing someone for their purse will risk your face being seen or having to stab someone of they don't cooperate.

If people just stop leaving valuables in the car then others wouldn't want to break in anymore because its low risk for 0 rewards.

Right now it's low risk with huge rewards.

Btw, j just roll down my windows in the bay area when I visit. No broken windows so far.