Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla car window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To each his/her own, but I chose to buy a well reviewed Samsung MUF-64AB USB drive for $15. If it fails, which I doubt (but it's possible), I can buy five more for the price of one Samsung T5 SSD.

That stick has a 5 year warranty, dunno if it's worth the paper it's written on, but even assuming the warranty is worthless I'd grab the 128GB version for $22 instead. Do that for the extra write speed (300MB/s vs 200MB/s) and durability (durability of flash devices is partly a function of how much data you write to it divided by the capacity of the drive). Since it's less than double the price for double the capacity that's the sweet spot on that devices price curve (if prices change or there is a sale and the 64GB is less than half the price of the 128GB then by all means take the value play).

Operating Temperature 32℉~140℉

ironically the portable SSD he mentioned says to use between 5-35C (41-95F) which is apparently less heat tolerant than the thumb drive.

But what he said about r/w cycles is likely correct. I couldn't find the TBW rating for the thumb drive. The SSD 500 GB/1 TB are both rated for: 150 TBW

So maybe the play is if you live in a cool climate get the portable SSD for the extended TBW rating (not having to replace as often) and if you live in a warm climate get the thumb drive at the highest capacity you can afford to have the better temp rating (and be willing to buy a new one as needed). Even at $22 a piece you could upgrade/replace a few times and come out ahead on quality thumb drives.

Heck if you have the money you could treat them like winter tires/summer tires and swap them with the seasons.

Last edited:
Try using the Frunk if you are leaving valuable items in the car. What happened to you happens all the time in the bay area.
NOOOO! DO NOT USE THE FRUNK FOR VALUABLES!

I'm not going to post how to do it here (for obvious reasons), but it is very easy to open the frunk from outside the vehicle with no key. Tesla really needs to address this.

Do NOT leave anything valuable in the car, anywhere... frunk, trunk, passenger cabin... just don't do it.

Reactions: ReddykwRun
It makes more sense if tesla assigns a small space to store the sentry mode videos, a security storage media can be easily taken away by intruder just don't sound right.
If you look in your Tesla Owners Manual in the section about Sentry Mode, it states that if you're using Sentry Mode, and an even occurs that causes the car alarm to sound, the Sentry Mode video is backed up at Tesla, and will stay backed up for 72 hours.

Reactions: house9
Glock 22 gen 4, 200 rounds to start, then you & wife take lessons at a local gun range. keep your home safe.

Fred

Are pew pews even legal in California anymore?
zxSgEEpl.jpeg

While stationed in Puerto Rico with the USCG the veteran coasties at the Coast Guard base schooled the new folks about going to the beach alone to surf, one you never drove a "nice car" to the beach cause you were going to be out riding the waves for a while and the locals knew it and two, you always left the windows ROLLED Down, as funny as it sounds, never had a vehicle "broken into" while stationed there. Sorry for your loss.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Man I'm not even allowed to have a little fun in the off topic forum? .

If ya'all can't handle a little bit of satire and sarcasm I understand, here is your safe space, it is a small one but this one is yours:

[__________________________________________________________________________________]

I'll be sure to keep it under 32 degrees so ya'all won't melt.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReddykwRun

If ya'all can't handle a little bit of satire and sarcasm I understand, here is your safe space, it is a small one but this one is yours:

[__________________________________________________________________________________]

Well, I for one appreciate your sense of humor. BTW, what's a "pew pew"?

Well I guess it time for me to actually post something of value for the OP of this thread.

Regarding sentry mode this is what I am doing. Since the USB drive is an easily stolen item in a Tesla I am going to remote mount it somewhere hidden with a USB extension cord.

Don't underestimate the intelligence of a thief. They arent dumb, just desperate. Once the word gets out regarding sentry mode, which it already has, the first thing they will look for is that USB stick.

It might be a good idea to leave a little bit of a tail on the cord so that it will be easy to plug it into a laptop to offload data.

From what I understand high endurance micro SDs are the best to use because they are designed to be written on constantly and thus have a good duty cycle. They are specifically made to be used on security cameras with a constant read/write load.

Here is what I got on Amazon right now.

Screenshot_20191203-101443_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:
and the thieves won't be able to trace the cord??????

If you tie the cord off or zip tie it to something hard they will be less inclined to take apart the entire interior to get to it. It will just be a cord that is coming out of a gap or a hole in the center console which will dissappear into trim panels.

Finding it will take time and time increases risk and exposure to the thief. Certainly much harder than just unplugging it from the center console and pocketing the incriminating evidence.

Anything is possible with enough time. The goal is to make it more difficult and increase the risk vs reward ratio. With every second the risk increases that the owner will come back and bash his/her face in with a baseball bat while he's trying to trace a cord into a blind hole obscured by layers of interior paneling.

Last edited:
Also no harm in attaching a physically unsecured pigtail to the physically secured USB extension so when the thief pulls on the cord thinking it will be attached to the thumb drive, any hopes of tracing the USB drive back to it's location will be gone forever. If you really wanna take it to the next level attach the pigtail to a hand grenade

I friggin hate thieves they should all die in an artificially hydrogenated oil trans fat grease fire.

Last edited:
While stationed in Puerto Rico with the USCG the veteran coasties at the Coast Guard base schooled the new folks about going to the beach alone to surf, one you never drove a "nice car" to the beach cause you were going to be out riding the waves for a while and the locals knew it and two, you always left the windows ROLLED Down, as funny as it sounds, never had a vehicle "broken into" while stationed there. Sorry for your loss.
Last time I rented a car in Barcelona it was a condition of the rental to leave the car unlocked while parked, with no valuables in it. The renter was liable for any damage caused by breaking in. (Can't remember which rental company it was... a cheapie.)

the thread was originally in the model 3 forum. it got moved because of crap like this.