Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Tesla could be easily opened

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla car was broken into last night without breaking any windows.
Seems like someone used a custom key or another electronic device because the driver's side door pillar panel(where the key transmitter is located) was severely scratched.
The car was parked in front of my garage and the doors were locked.
Around 10:00 pm I received a Tesla app notification that doors are open. I didn't pay attention to the message since I was on a ski trip and I thought that my wife opened the doors.
Long story short.
Enable the sentry mode alarm even if you park it next to your garage. Mine was disabled at the home location.
Enable the pin to drive just in case.
IMG_88C26F610751-1.jpeg

I enabled sentry mode at the home location

the point of my message - there is a way to open your Tesla using a dummy key and stole everything inside

Ha!. It is kind of funny that you are over thinking this so much. There is no hack or dummy key needed. All they did was stick a hangar in between the glass weather stripping on the pillar to hit the door open button. The scratches are from the hangar.

Frameless windows just push against rubber.

Ha!. It is kind of funny that you are over thinking this so much. There is no hack or dummy key needed. All they did was stick a hangar in between the glass weather stripping on the pillar to hit the door open button. The scratches are from the hangar.

Frameless windows just push against rubber.
Yeah, that is the only logical explanation that is consistent with the damage. Although I would point out that they might also have pulled the manual release instead or managed to hook the latch cable inside the door, as that always works no matter what. The door button might not work if car is asleep or 12V battery is dead.

A similar method is used in practically all cars, many times when people lock their keys in and call a lock smith to open it. I've seen police help someone do that too with a "slim jim". This works in practically any car as long as you figure out where the mechanism is.

My Tesla car was broken into last night without breaking any windows.
Seems like someone used a custom key or another electronic device because the driver's side door pillar panel(where the key transmitter is located) was severely scratched.

I see no evidence of any "custom key" being utilized.
Sorry this happened to you, but you are jumping to false conclusions in absence of evidence.

Enable the sentry mode alarm even if you park it next to your garage. Mine was disabled at the home location.

Why?
How would sentry mode have prevented someone from jimmy-ing your door open with a coat hanger?

Enable the pin to drive just in case.

Why?
Was your car driven away?
P2D is a PITA.

a