Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla car window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i may be wrong, but i don't believe someone breaking into your car is an acceptable justification under the law for using deadly force.
I think you missed the part where he said they took his wife purse, car and house keys and info that shows where they live. No one mentioned anything about taking anyone’s life. But to make you happy, let’s remove the firearm and add a nice German Shepard home deterrent system.

Fred

Last edited:
speaking as a responsible gun owner, stuff like this is the reason people want gun control. you (and anyone else who says stupid sh*t like this) are making the argument for them.

if you confront them and they attack you, of course you have the right to defend yourself...but to just have your spouse stand there and film you saying "i feel threatened?" that's nonsense.
I have obviously not communicated well. I am not saying you should engage without a threat. If you have to go to this extreme measure you better have evidence that you were threatened. Having been to court for a Castle Doctrine event you better be prepared to defend your actions and a video will dispel any doubt in the courts mind that you or your family were or were not threatened. (And by the way I didn’t shoot the guy when I was fully within my rights to do so).

I have way more restraint than most cops and way more experience dealing with global dirtbags than I care to recall.

Thanks for being a responsible gun owner!

Reactions: crackers8199
Just to rule out the key card issue, tested again.

The car was locked. The key card was put in a microwave in the basement, the driver side cannot be opened, but the passenger side can be opened from the inside, the alarm did go off, but the screen turned on like normal, and the trunk could be opened. (did not test frunk this time)

Just to rule out the key card issue, tested again.

The car was locked. The key card was put in a microwave in the basement, the driver side cannot be opened, but the passenger side can be opened from the inside, the alarm did go off, but the screen turned on like normal, and the trunk could be opened. (did not test frunk this time)

Thank you for testing this out !! Have you heard anything yet on wait times for new window glass ?

Do you have any type of security cameras at home ? Just wondering if they would try and use the stolen key, since they have your address now.

I am waiting for the insurance company to come take a look now, so don't know about the wait time yet, hopefully not too long. Both the passenger side window and the rear window(above the trunk) need to be replaced.

Never thought about the waiting time before, hopefully I don't need to wait a long time for that!

Thank you for testing this out !! Have you heard anything yet on wait times for new window glass ?

Do you have any type of security cameras at home ? Just wondering if they would try and use the stolen key, since they have your address now.

Yes, I have security cameras installed, as well as ring alarm.

All of the above, and...

Go buy a USB memory stick and create a folder called "TeslaCam" on it, then plug it into one of the car's front USB ports.
Please stop recommending USB memory sticks for Sentry, etc. SSDs are vastly better in the car environment. Many USB memory sticks don't have the thermal envelope to survive a car much less the continual read/write cycles. Don't be cheap and get a Samsung T5 or similar.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits and tvad
I use a high end 256gb sandisk memory stick that’s has a fast read & write, the video quality seems better and more fluid, but it gets hot and sometimes it doesn’t fire up, I have to pull it and re-insert it back into the USB. I’m thinking about going with the 500gb SSD.

Fred

i may be wrong, but i don't believe someone breaking into your car is an acceptable justification under the law for using deadly force.

I think they meant for their home, the thief took their purse which included their drivers license (which has their home address) and their house keys. They said they already changed the locks to their house but you never know what they thieves may try.

Reactions: crackers8199
I really think at this point Tesla should just include a flash drive at the time of purchase and have it set up for sentry/dashcam it would help a lot with these situations with new owners not knowing anything about how to set it up . Never leave valuables visible ever. Out of sight, Out of mind when it comes to opportunity crimes.

Reactions: jsrawa
If really necessary to leave valuables, as suggested - trunk pit area, glove box, or frunk.
However, do this one mile before parking. Do not show people you are leaving valuables by putting them away in plain sight in the parking lot.

I see a lot of women get out of the car and put their purse in the trunk in plain sight of everyone.

Reactions: ReddykwRun and tvad