Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CCS Type 1 Adapter from Tesla Korea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

After few attempts to place an order, I've finally received my CCS Type 1 adapter. Tesla Korea announced that they would provide a standard charging adapter for Tesla owners in Korea by end of the year. And there was a third party that developed it beforehand. I didn't want to risk it, and it turned out to be a worth of waiting for.

Based on the price and the wattage, the adapters from Tesla are priced at 7kW/90USD. J1772 costed me about 100 USD, and CHAdeMO costs 400 USD, and it is known to only provide power up to 40kW. SETEC's price was pretty reasonable, assuming it would provide up to 100kW with its CCS Type 1 adapter.

Now the game has changed. Tesla Korea's CCS Type 1 adapter can charge over 100 kW at 250 USD. And it is much lighter and smaller than SETEC's; it fits inside the center console.

I don't know when they'd be available in the US, but it is definitely worth to wait for.

Someone with a refresh 2021 Model S has confirmed that it lists CCS adapter support as enabled in firmware 2021.40.6:

721174-c83a13f8b4297fa91c8a47c14f1d5fa8.jpg

Yup. Supported.
View attachment 735471

(This picture from my car is also making the rounds on Twitter)

So it will be interesting if someone that has imported the adapter from Korea could try it on one of these newer vehicles with current firmware.

After few attempts to place an order, I've finally received my CCS Type 1 adapter. Tesla Korea announced that they would provide a standard charging adapter for Tesla owners in Korea by end of the year. And there was a third party that developed it beforehand. I didn't want to risk it, and it turned out to be a worth of waiting for.

Based on the price and the wattage, the adapters from Tesla are priced at 7kW/90USD. J1772 costed me about 100 USD, and CHAdeMO costs 400 USD, and it is known to only provide power up to 40kW. SETEC's price was pretty reasonable, assuming it would provide up to 100kW with its CCS Type 1 adapter.

Now the game has changed. Tesla Korea's CCS Type 1 adapter can charge over 100 kW at 250 USD. And it is much lighter and smaller than SETEC's; it fits inside the center console.

I don't know when they'd be available in the US, but it is definitely worth to wait for.
I’d like to order one of the Korean CCS Tesla adaptors. Could you tell me how you ordered yours? Thanks

Reactions: kayak1 and mcsenerd
That thing looks really wobly and weak, I would have prefered a small section of cable link the two of them. Glad I am in a CCS 2 country where none of this is an issue.
It does, but it is way better than the SETEC model, which costs $600, requires USB charging, power on/off, waiting periods at each step, and puts huge forces on the charge port and on itself.

I see the CCS Combo 1 adapter back in stock on the Tesla shop when you select Korea. However, it would not let me check out with a US address. @shaunkim How were you able to order ??? Are you locally located in Korea?

Reactions: Bloomj

Shaun, how long did it take to get the adapter after successfully ordering it? Wondering if they have them on hand or are building to order.

My wife just brought from South Korea the Tesla CCS Type 1 adapter and it works great at Electrify America chargers, max speed I could reach was 62kW even though the stall was rated at 150kW, probably because all stalls were full. I'll try later in the week when hopefully there are less cars charging to see if I can get closer to 150kW. MYLR delivered early February 2022.

Attachments

• 20220413_191918.jpg
    20220413_191918.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 179
  • 20220413_191922.jpg
    20220413_191922.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 20220413_192053.jpg
    20220413_192053.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 177
I am trying to find someone to order one as well... I have a friend in Korea, but when they tried to order it required them to prove that they owned a Tesla that was registered in Korea...so looks like only Tesla owners in Korea can order. I'd be willing to pay someone to order for me and then ship to me here in Canada....

I should add... I live in Nova Scotia where there is only ONE super charger in the entire province. I can't get a chademo adapter so I'm left using the crappy J1772 adapter which is useless when tryign to travel around the province... If anyone could help track down a CCS I'd be very grateful!

I should add... I live in Nova Scotia where there is only ONE super charger in the entire province. I can't get a chademo adapter so I'm left using the crappy J1772 adapter which is useless when tryign to travel around the province... If anyone could help track down a CCS I'd be very grateful!
Which Tesla do you own? Range? NS isn't that big. seems you could drive all over the Province and back home to recharge overnight for another day. I've been there a couple times. There is another SC in Aulac and a permit for a V3 in Kentville. So there are others you can tap into. I'm not familiar with the CCS ones. Also slower driving can get you added range.

max speed I could reach was 62kW even though the stall was rated at 150kW, probably because all stalls were full.
Odds are it's more of a battery pre-conditioning thing than stalls-full... but you won't get the full 150kW on 150kW EA stations either. They max out at about 350 amps, and so the highest I've seen has been about 135-140kW.

But each station can give full power: you're not limited if other stations are in use. Make sure you tell the car you're heading for a fast charger somewhere, if possible.

People have gotten over 150 on 350kW stations from EvGo. Most of the EvGo 350kW stations will do 500 amps. I've not hit one on the road yet, so I can't personally confirm.

Using DELIVERED Korea along with ordering with my Tesla account on the Tesla Korea shop netted a Tesla CCS1 adapter for me. It did require some experimentation and creative use of Google Translate to get the right parts of the address in the right boxes. Note the caveat that it only works for 3 and Y - not for S and X.
A possible reason why it has not been released in North America (just thinking) is that maybe Tesla wants to try it in a limited market to make sure the greater weight of the CCS cable and plug do not damage the car's power socket.