Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Changed FSD Beta Suspension Threshold - Only For Some Users/vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bull

Chatting is great, just don't shoot the Bull.
Supporting Member
Oct 25, 2020
Tucson, AZ
With the latest install of FSD Beta 10.5 I noticed that they reduced the suspension threshold from three forced disengagements to two.

I posted this on Reddit earlier and got a ton of responses (with pics) stating that their install of 2021.36.8.8 showed three disengagements. WTH? Why does mine say only two? Could it really be my driving? Or is it my car model (Plaid)? I on a shorter leash due to some ongoing safety score monitoring?

Here is a pic of my release notes.

IMG_6017D.jpeg

...I posted this on Reddit earlier and got a ton of responses (with pics) stating that their install of 2021.36.8.8 showed three disengagements. WTH?...

It has always been 2 Autopilot Jails or Strikeouts.

Maybe they are confused "3" Strikes with 2 Strikeouts.

Strike is an ignored warning within 3-mile increments and without resulting in suspension of AutoSteer for the rest of the drive.

However, 3 strikes will add up to become 1 Strikeout as below:

Strikeout is a suspension of AutoSteer for the rest of the drive even when you finally responded to the alarms but it's too late as the AutoSteer is now disabled.

Last edited:
With the latest install of FSD Beta 10.5 I noticed that they reduced the suspension threshold from three forced disengagements to two.

I posted this on Reddit earlier and got a ton of responses (with pics) stating that their install of 2021.36.8.8 showed three disengagements. WTH? Why does mine say only two? Could it really be my driving? Or is it my car model (Plaid)? I on a shorter leash due to some ongoing safety score monitoring?

Here is a pic of my release notes.

View attachment 736724
Mine def says "three" (I just checked it). Have you had one disengagement already, and is it changing the text as you count down to being struck off???

Reactions: K5TRX and Phlier
@Bull

10.5 gives you the ability to see Forced Disengagements:
Autopilot Menu, under "Full Self-Driving"
If you click on the link to that post, there's a picture of where the Forced Disengagements are displayed.

I'm thinking along the same lines as @drtimhill ... You might already have a Forced Disengagement, and the text you show in the OP changes according to how many you have.

Take a look and see if you already have a Forced Disengagement, as shown in the quoted post.

Let us know?

Seems like S/X have the "two 'Forced Autopilot Disengagements'" verbiage, while 3/Y have the "three 'Forced Autopilot Disengagements'" verbiage.

Wonder if there's an underlying difference, or if this is just some unintended inconsistency with release notes text.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and K5TRX
I installed 10.5 this morning. Did a drive and got suspended. Its really sensitive. I don't know what I did wrong.

Assuming you addressed all steering wheel nags (flashing white in S/X, flashing blue in 3/Y), then you likely got dinged by the cabin camera, which expects you to be looking forward at all times, with exceptions for short glances away, like checking mirror or screen speed. Long glances away will give you a warning to pay attention (2 beeps and a msg on screen), which counts as a strike. 3 of these warnings will cause a 'Forced Autopilot Disengagement' which is a strikeout.

Previously, when we first learned about FSD suspension criteria, it was 2 strikeouts and you're out. But now there's the wording discrepancy between S/X and 3/Y where it's either 2 strikeouts or three.

• Informative
Reactions: K5TRX
@Bull

10.5 gives you the ability to see Forced Disengagements:

If you click on the link to that post, there's a picture of where the Forced Disengagements are displayed.

I'm thinking along the same lines as @drtimhill ... You might already have a Forced Disengagement, and the text you show in the OP changes according to how many you have.

Take a look and see if you already have a Forced Disengagement, as shown in the quoted post.

Let us know?
Nothing noted about forced disengagements.

IMG_6020D.jpeg

Seems like S/X have the "two 'Forced Autopilot Disengagements'" verbiage, while 3/Y have the "three 'Forced Autopilot Disengagements'" verbiage.

Wonder if there's an underlying difference, or if this is just some unintended inconsistency with release notes text.
This is what I was leaning toward. Still looking for someone else with two instead of three.

I have a 2017 AP 2.5 Model S, which I upgraded to HW3.0 (and MCU2).
I got the 10.4 Beta at 2021.36.8.5 after raising my score from 97 to 99 due to 'better' driving and worser days dropping off because of the 27 day rolling Safety Score window.

BTW: Safety score calculations are fairly straight forward, in a spreadsheet multiply each daily score times the miles driven that day, over the past twenty seven days, and calculate the weighted average. The day that my 28th ago day score of 95 dropped off, my score in the app went up to 99, confirming my calculations.

My next (second) Beta version was yesterday, version 2021.36.8.8.

My 'Full Self-Driving (Beta) Suspension' paragraph in the release notes says 'when you ... receive two Forced Auto Pilot Disengagements"
And on the Autopilot screen there is no text under the 'Full Self-Driving (Beta)' toggle at all.

In other words for my Model S I am under the impression I have two Strikeouts available, and have not struck out yet.

• Informative
Got my 1st ever disengagement this morning and does not make any sense. I had a vehicle encroaching into my lane from the right. I was not able to change lanes to the left as there was a vehicle on my left rear and I could not slow down as there was a car tailgaiting me. I accelerated and move about 6 inches over the left lane line to clear traffic. I triggered the red take control immediately despite I was actively accelerating and steering the car. Without my intervention, FSD may have caused an issue, What I do not understand is why I received the warning as I was in full control of both steering and speed control. Dejavau of my hard breaking demerit I got when I made a hard stop to keep AP from running a red light.

I have a 2017 AP 2.5 Model S, which I upgraded to HW3.0 (and MCU2).
I got the 10.4 Beta at 2021.36.8.5 after raising my score from 97 to 99 due to 'better' driving and worser days dropping off because of the 27 day rolling Safety Score window.

BTW: Safety score calculations are fairly straight forward, in a spreadsheet multiply each daily score times the miles driven that day, over the past twenty seven days, and calculate the weighted average. The day that my 28th ago day score of 95 dropped off, my score in the app went up to 99, confirming my calculations.

My next (second) Beta version was yesterday, version 2021.36.8.8.

My 'Full Self-Driving (Beta) Suspension' paragraph in the release notes says 'when you ... receive two Forced Auto Pilot Disengagements"
And on the Autopilot screen there is no text under the 'Full Self-Driving (Beta)' toggle at all.

In other words for my Model S I am under the impression I have two Strikeouts available, and have not struck out yet.
That is what I am assuming for myself as well. So far it looks like the MS are the cars with only two forced disengagements allowed. We need more data points.

Got my 1st ever disengagement this morning and does not make any sense. I had a vehicle encroaching into my lane from the right. I was not able to change lanes to the left as there was a vehicle on my left rear and I could not slow down as there was a car tailgaiting me. I accelerated and move about 6 inches over the left lane line to clear traffic. I triggered the red take control immediately despite I was actively accelerating and steering the car. Without my intervention, FSD may have caused an issue, What I do not understand is why I received the warning as I was in full control of both steering and speed control. Dejavau of my hard breaking demerit I got when I made a hard stop to keep AP from running a red light.
If my reading of the way Tesla phrased things is right, that should not count to your "three strikes", it was the car realizing it needed you to take over in an emergency, not shutting off FSD because you were not paying attention. Would be interesting if you checked in the "count down" on the AP screen and see if it has gone down (its under the FSD toggle on models 3/Y)?

Believe wording on my 2020 X was 3 Autopilot disengagements. Believe used 1 yesterday going 77 mph. FSD slowly passing semi in left lane. As got by truck tires it started throwing rocks and mud as we hit a couple small bumps. I manual accelerated with FSD still on to keep the junk from hitting the window. Went over 80 and got put in Auto pilot Timeout for the rest of the trip. Strike 1.

Not going to whine but I will. This is a problem FSD is not equiped to handle(yet?). As a Driver, I saw the dirt with my eyes and heard the junk hitting the car with my ears. So I took evasive action. Add that to the training I guess. (but please fricking fit Phantom Braking first!)

Last edited: