Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Changed FSD Beta Suspension Threshold - Only For Some Users/vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my 1st ever disengagement this morning and does not make any sense. I had a vehicle encroaching into my lane from the right. I was not able to change lanes to the left as there was a vehicle on my left rear and I could not slow down as there was a car tailgaiting me. I accelerated and move about 6 inches over the left lane line to clear traffic. I triggered the red take control immediately despite I was actively accelerating and steering the car. Without my intervention, FSD may have caused an issue, What I do not understand is why I received the warning as I was in full control of both steering and speed control. Dejavau of my hard breaking demerit I got when I made a hard stop to keep AP from running a red light.
I literally just had the same issue... had to accelerate briefly on the highway and got the red flashing 'take immediate control' notification, even though when I was accelerating I had active control of throttle and wheel/yolk.

I was on the highway, and also was not due to distracted driving, so I'm really hoping this doesn't somehow count against me (especially since I only get 2 before I'm out...)

It does have "(beta)" in parenthesis in the release notes, though I'm thinking this likely is more saying beta rather than all FSD would be suspended... though I'm hoping it only counts forced disengagements while driving beta on city streets...

So I covered the camera at one point, but FSD kept kicking out saying the camera was blocked. On the I-40, after getting put in AP jail, I pulled over and turned off FSD and covered the camera with a business card for the rest of the drive, and that worked, but if FSD is on and you cover the camera, you'll get yelled at.
So, on freeways - why not use a different profile that only has AP turned on - not FSD.

Afterall, you won't be using FSD on freeways, anyway.

29816967-460A-469D-978D-38B8FED363A8.jpeg
I did just double check - after the forced disengagement on the highway for exceeding 80mph (avoiding debris off back of truck ahead), it does NOT list a number of times I have left under the FSD Beta section…
So perhaps it didn’t count as one of my 2?

Looking back, 36.8.9 release notes says “Driver-initiated disengagements do not count as improper usage and are expected from the driver.” So perhaps because I disengaged by accelerating (albeit over the limit of 80) that it was a “driver-initiated” disengagement?

It also says, “A disengagement is when the Autopilot system disengages for the remainder of a trip after the driver receives several audio and visual warnings for inattentiveness.” So perhaps those are the only ‘strike-outs’ that count?

Your strikeouts increased to 5 and mine increased to 3. Still no clue why some are different.
It's a mystery and I guess the 3 and Y got 5 strikeouts allowance while the S and X got only 3 with the latest revision of the suspension rule. But why?

It makes sense for older S and X without a cabin camera but 2021 S and X does have one so it's not fair to lump the Palladium with Raven and older cars.

Maybe the Palladium is penalized because of a yoke?

It's a mystery and I guess the 3 and Y got 5 strikeouts allowance while the S and X got only 3 with the latest revision of the suspension rule. But why?

It makes sense for older S and X without a cabin camera but 2021 S and X does have one so it's not fair to lump the Palladium with Raven and older cars.

Maybe the Palladium is penalized because of a yoke?
I'm guessing the yoke is the reason too. For a while I thought that it was my safety score AFTER I got FSD Beta since I went back to driving my car normally.