Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla changed the center bore on their wheels?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2F7B9185-7A0E-4823-BF24-4B17CEB46D79.jpeg
Hi,
So received delivery of a X long range plus with the standard 20in wheels. Bought Tesla’s 22in wheels off of someone and went to get them installed at discount tires.
Discount tire is claiming they won’t fit after trying to wiggle them on. They are saying the center bore is slightly too small to fit and assuming Tesla could have recently changed their design. Is there any truth in this or discount tire don’t know what they’re doing??

see picture pointing to what they say is still small.

If the wheels are truly Tesla orginals, those rims have a 64.1mm bore. The Tesla shop offers only 1 22" wheel in that sense.
Not being able to slide them on, would mean the car's hub is larger than 64.1 but not by much. 0.1 or 0.2mm would be enough to have the effect the tire-person described.

Why on earth would Tesla change the center bore, enlarging it from the X's standard 64.1mm to say, 64.2 (or a little bit more)? Does not make any sense.
The only thing I can think off, is that Tesla is using a newly designed hub to accommodate a larger axle-spline (thicker). Maybe they beefed up the axle because of the shudder problem some X Ravens have?
Wild speculation on my part though as it would break compatibility with all existing wheels.

Because you say "They are saying the center bore is slightly too small" which is wierd too. Why would Tesla "shrink" their hub? So I assume you (they, the tire-people) mean that the bore on the wheels are too small.
That leads me to the question: Are those wheels really orginal or some clones?

Ask where the wheels were sourced. They’re more than likely knockoffs from china (ebay). You can see dozens of these “turbine style” wheels offered there and they are NOT safe. You are lucky they didn’t fit, frankly because if they did, you’d probably be riding on wheels that are vastly underrated for MX loads.

Ask where the wheels were sourced. They’re more than likely knockoffs from china (ebay). You can see dozens of these “turbine style” wheels offered there and they are NOT safe. You are lucky they didn’t fit, frankly because if they did, you’d probably be riding on wheels that are vastly underrated for MX loads.
Would knock offs have a Tesla makers mark?

Would knock offs have a Tesla makers mark?
Oh yes
„Good“ knockoffs can be damn „good“ and very hard to distinguish from originals. I‘ve seen Audi S4 knockoffs which were really good. What „betrayed“ their dark secret was little airbubbles that were visible on the surface on the inside of the spokes. Those bubbles were caused by sub-standard casting. Of course I did no metallurgic tests of those wheels but ehhh tiny air pockets in spokes?.... And Charlie China Copy surely didn’t use the same alloys als Audi uses...

Reactions: blitzpa
Now I'm a little concerned I have a set of 22" Turbine clones also. I haven't put them on yet. They were listed as used OEM and they look legit but I wouldn't know how to spot a good fake. I'm going to have the Tesla SC mount them and look very closely. Does anyone have any guidance or a thread on how to definitely spot fakes vs. original?

Does anyone have any guidance or a thread on how to definitely spot fakes vs. original?

First is price. You know what real Tesla wheels cost, so when a price is „low“ that‘s a first giveaway. At a SC, they are likely to have real rims lying about. Compare the two, especially on the inside. Most clones are near perfect on the outside (fooling most people) as the baddies invest time there. But on the inside, some markings can be missing or „they just ain‘t right“. An SC Tech will be able to spot such things fairly quickly by comparing.

Driving around on clones can be dangerous if they can‘t support the vehicle. If lucky they just deform and become egg-shaped (un-round) but if they are really bad, spokes can break and then you are in for one hell off a ride...

Reactions: blitzpa