Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Charge Cable Handling Ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wall charger has a very thick, less flexible cable. I'm looking for a way to wind it quickly and easily and a way to lock up just the charging head. I was thinking about a retractable hose reel. Anyone do something like this? Any good ideas? C'mon you guys are a creative and ingenious bunch- let's see what you've got! Maybe someone can invent and market something and get rich!

I took inspiration from some of the ideas you guys had, and did a DIY charging cable management system of my own:

upload_2020-5-24_20-12-34.png

I found some industrial curtain track parts from an online outfit, and fitted them so my cable could reach two of my three garage bays. The charging cable attaches to the trolley in the track, so it can be pulled to either end of the track easily. Then I added a cheapie aluminum lower track to manage the cable slack.

I used one of the Reelcraft tool balancers like NathanielHrnblwr linked:

upload_2020-5-24_20-15-14.png

Here's an overview of the design and install:

Attachments

• upload_2020-5-24_20-12-6.png
    upload_2020-5-24_20-12-6.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 274
Reactions: F14Scott and mrau
I respect the engineering in your ideas (before I saw the cable F14, yours looked like a magic trick). However, another option is to just let the cable flop around on the floor. It's never been a problem for me.

And don't forget to consider backing into the garage (I've even gotten my wife to do it)!

Of course, selling our other car makes things easier.

20201013_161513.jpg
20201013_161600.jpg

We do better with her pulling straight in and backing straight out. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Plus, I'm about to own a MINI Cooper SE with its charger receptacle at the starboard aft position, so if my Gen 2 HPWC on the opposite wall fails (I like backing in, myself), we can share her hanging charger, if I nose in. Likewise, with her nosed in, she can use my connector, if hers fails.

The old aviator in me likes redundancy.

20200729_093021.jpg

Reactions: pilotSteve
We do better with her pulling straight in and backing straight out. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Plus, I'm about to own a MINI Cooper SE with its charger receptacle at the starboard aft position, so if my Gen 2 HPWC on the opposite wall fails (I like backing in, myself), we can share her hanging charger, if I nose in. Likewise, with her nosed in, she can use my connector, if hers fails.

The old aviator in me likes redundancy.

View attachment 598261
old aviators don’t die, they just go to their alternate!

• Love
Reactions: AZAV8R and F14Scott
I don't want to spend $500 on the tesla charging solution so I'm thinking of putting an outlet on my garage ceiling. Anyone have any type of setup with a retractable cord? Looking for ideas. Didn't seem to easily find a retractable extension cord other than 110 which I definitely don't want.

I don't want to spend $500 on the tesla charging solution so I'm thinking of putting an outlet on my garage ceiling. Anyone have any type of setup with a retractable cord? Looking for ideas. Didn't seem to easily find a retractable extension cord other than 110 which I definitely don't want.

This thread I moved your post to has some feedback on setups.