Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charging $1915 for rear quarter window replacement!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got it done at Hi-Tech glass in Redwood city. Small spot and definitely not fancy, but they replaced the window in 1.5 hours and it looked good as new. They removed the trim and reattached it, but it didn't look like they had to use much in the way of binder/glue. Very satisifed --- with not paying Tesla almost 2 grand.

Learned from the owner that Tesla has had made it harder to purchase glass, and said he was down to a few replacement windows. This explains why some of the other indie shops said they were out. As long as he has the glass on hand I'd recommend him hands down.

Ugh I got my driver side rear quarter window smashed out right in front of a busy restaurant in Oakland.

FYI safelite $493, Tesla $571. Tesla had an appointment within 3 days while safelite was about 10 days later. $500 deductible so I went the Tesla route. 2021 model 3

Wow, Tesla has really come down A LOT since 2018/2019
@tivoboy I'm guessing it's just Model 3 vs Model S. I wonder if @Newtothis didn't realize this is a Model S forum. :)

I've noticed the Model 3 has a break in the side trim, such that the trim attached to the rear quarter panel does not extend all the way to the front of the car. That's probably why it's so much cheaper. The one long trim piece on the Model S looks better, but the $1500 sure hurts every time (insurance aside).

@tivoboy I'm guessing it's just Model 3 vs Model S. I wonder if @Newtothis didn't realize this is a Model S forum. :)

I've noticed the Model 3 has a break in the side trim, such that the trim attached to the rear quarter panel does not extend all the way to the front of the car. That's probably why it's so much cheaper. The one long trim piece on the Model S looks better, but the $1500 sure hurts every time (insurance aside).
Well, when it happened to me back in 2019? It was $1100 from Tesla for a M3, so that’s still half now vs. four years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2

Ha my bad! Definitely didn’t realize this is a model s section. The link just popped up via Google…

I haven’t submitted it to insurance yet since the repair is in a few days but I guess why not? I’m paying for insurance and it’s almost no hassle? My rate won’t change so I’m not sure there is a downside? Unless there is something I’m missing?

Just got broken into in Oakland where they broke into the small rear quarter window. Called around to Primer based on recs here; they didn't have the glass available. Got an updated estimate of 1900 from Tesla!! The breakdown of parts shows "ASY BRIGHT MOLDING" is the most expensive part at 896.40. THe window glass is $240. What is this and I'm looking for advice. thanks
NO Insurance to submit the repair to?

Ha my bad! Definitely didn’t realize this is a model s section. The link just popped up via Google…

I haven’t submitted it to insurance yet since the repair is in a few days but I guess why not? I’m paying for insurance and it’s almost no hassle? My rate won’t change so I’m not sure there is a downside? Unless there is something I’m missing?

A claim is a claim with insurance companies, regardless of the dollar amount, and if you get more claims, it will come into play and potentially cause you to have higher rates or even be cancelled.

There are nonchargeable claims, like most comprehensive claims, and towing. That being said, I once had an old car that I submitted towing 3 times in a year. Although my rates did not change, they cancelled me for frequency of claims even though I had been with them over 10 years without other claims

Reactions: tm1v2 and TLLMRRJ
There are nonchargeable claims, like most comprehensive claims, and towing. That being said, I once had an old car that I submitted towing 3 times in a year. Although my rates did not change, they cancelled me for frequency of claims even though I had been with them over 10 years without other claims

Yeah, there isn't an honest and knowledgeable insurance advisor in the world that would recommend you to make a claim on your car insurance to save $71.