Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charging with CCS adapter... coming soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been looking at alternatives to Tesla’s Superchargers, as there are times I am somewhere there isn’t one.
The adapter that came with my M3 works withChargePoint, and some others, but not with some.

From what I have read, CCS is the fastest growing port, and used by Blink to mention one.
I saw an article that Tesla will soon offer an adapter...
Tesla launches $190 CCS adapter for new Model S and Model X, offers retrofits for older vehicles - Electrek

The Chademo adapter is an option, but very expensive, and may be replaced by the CCS.
The J1772 won’t fit the CCS, see picture.

According to the article, I would need to pay for a retrofit on my M3 for the CCS to work.
But may be worth it.

Thoughts...

Attachments

• 2B40FE3C-27AE-4DD2-890B-020B74F9D87F.jpeg
    2B40FE3C-27AE-4DD2-890B-020B74F9D87F.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: dhrivnak
This is the European CCS adapter I mentioned in your other thread. It cannot be used in the US. Tesla has not announced a US version (yet), and we don't know if existing Model 3s would require a retrofit (the European version of the Model 3 has a CCS port anyway, the retrofit is only for older Model S/X).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Tesla hasn't mentioned anything about adapters or conversions for North America. I imagine if they did anything for this market it would be an adapter with capped kw similar to the chademo that is capped at 50kw.
Unlikely. The European CCS adapter has been observed to support over 120kW. It's a passive adapter that is much less complicated than the Chademo adapter (which is also why it's smaller and a lot less expensive in Europe).

• Informative
Reactions: David99 and Zoomit
I have been looking at alternatives to Tesla’s Superchargers, as there are times I am somewhere there isn’t one.
The adapter that came with my M3 works withChargePoint, and some others, but not with some.

From what I have read, CCS is the fastest growing port, and used by Blink to mention one.
I saw an article that Tesla will soon offer an adapter...
Tesla launches $190 CCS adapter for new Model S and Model X, offers retrofits for older vehicles - Electrek

The Chademo adapter is an option, but very expensive, and may be replaced by the CCS.
The J1772 won’t fit the CCS, see picture.

According to the article, I would need to pay for a retrofit on my M3 for the CCS to work.
But may be worth it.

Thoughts...

Where are you in southern california where you are "somewhere there isnt a supercharger" AND low in charge in a Long range model 3 in southern california... but there IS a CCS charging station?

Since you asked for thoughts, I am struggling to find the need for this for tesla owners in california. More options are always better I guess, but im curious on the location profile that meets the above question here in southern california (someplace in california that is difficult to reach with the supercharger network, but easier with CCS charging, in california).

Since you asked for thoughts, I am struggling to find the need for this for tesla owners in california. More options are always better I guess, but im curious on the location profile that meets the above question here in southern california (someplace in california that is difficult to reach with the supercharger network, but easier with CCS charging, in california).
I wish I'd had one for my Thanksgiving trip. I waited in line for over half an hour at a supercharger, while the EA and EVGo chargers are underutilized at the moment.

I wish I'd had one for my Thanksgiving trip. I waited in line for over half an hour at a supercharger, while the EA and EVGo chargers are underutilized at the moment.

I understand that, but thats not quite what the OP said. They said "there isnt a charger" not "the charger is too crowded". Opposite problem. Since I live roughly 30-40 miles from the city this OP shows as his location, I am wondering where I could go where there is "no supercharger available" but CCS is available.

On a side note, one problem I could totally see with this is a social one. If drivers of other EVs see teslas at "their" chargers just because the "tesla charger is full" they will likely feel the same way tesla drivers feel when they get "ICE'ed. I am sure there would be frustration and "You already have a charger over on XXX street, why are you here???" statements etc.

Like I said, "social" issue, which would be born of frustration that there are "plenty of tesla chargers all over the place, yet they are still using "OURS". Kind of how at some jobs employees get mad when employers put in free charging, and start saying "where is my free gas?"

I understand that, but thats not quite what the OP said. They said "there isnt a charger" not "the charger is too crowded". Opposite problem. Since I live roughly 30-40 miles from the city this OP shows as his location, I am wondering where I could go where there is "no supercharger available" but CCS is available.
Maybe he's going on roadtrips in more remote areas? Also, from my experience the supercharger situation in the LA area is terrible because of the overcrowding. Opening up more options can only help. These maps are from Plugshare, top just the superchargers, bottom superchargers + CCS chargers ...

Bo7HQFF.jpg

lkcGREJ.jpg

• Love
Reactions: David99 and Zoomit

On a side note, one problem I could totally see with this is a social one. If drivers of other EVs see teslas at "their" chargers just because the "tesla charger is full" they will likely feel the same way tesla drivers feel when they get "ICE'ed. I am sure there would be frustration and "You already have a charger over on XXX street, why are you here???" statements etc.

Like I said, "social" issue, which would be born of frustration that there are "plenty of tesla chargers all over the place, yet they are still using "OURS". Kind of how at some jobs employees get mad when employers put in free charging, and start saying "where is my free gas?"

I don’t know. I’m one of those other people. My wife and I both drive EV’s. Neither is a Tesla. We are replacing our 4 year old leaf with an Eplus SL arriving in March. So we will continue to be Chademo dependant. I however don’t look at a Tesla as using one of “our” chargers. Tesla owners are just other EV drivers that paid a premium so they would have more charging options than me. (Well that and a faster, cooler, better looking car etc etc). I have talked to a few other non Tesla drivers about this and see no animosity towards the Tesla crowd. Nor should there be. Just be courteous and considerate. Besides, it gives us non Tesla owners a little eye candy to look at while we are waiting.

It would be different if a Supercharger was co-located with a Chademo and the Tesla used the Chademo even though the Supercharger was empty.

Just sayin.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I don’t know. I’m one of those other people. My wife and I both drive EV’s. Neither is a Tesla. We are replacing our 4 year old leaf with an Eplus SL arriving in March. So we will continue to be Chademo dependant. I however don’t look at a Tesla as using one of “our” chargers. Tesla owners are just other EV drivers that paid a premium so they would have more charging options than me. (Well that and a faster, cooler, better looking car etc etc). I have talked to a few other non Tesla drivers about this and see no animosity towards the Tesla crowd. Nor should there be. Just be courteous and considerate. Besides, it gives us non Tesla owners a little eye candy to look at while we are waiting.

It would be different if a Supercharger was co-located with a Chademo and the Tesla used the Chademo even though the Supercharger was empty.

Just sayin.

You're from Canada. If only the rest of us could be as nice as you guys.

More options are always better, but there is no place on that first map that is "out of range
You're from Canada. If only the rest of us could be as nice as you guys.

+1 . Canada is legendarily polite. People in the US in general are a bit less so (not everyone, not every time, but "in general"... and yes I realize generalizing can be bad).

Where are you in southern california where you are "somewhere there isnt a supercharger" AND low in charge in a Long range model 3 in southern california... but there IS a CCS charging station?

I'm not the OP; but I did see his other post (alluded to by others) in which he explains that he's planning a road trip up Big Bear, in cold weather and snow (with snow chains). In warm weather, this would pose no problems; but he's concerned that the adverse conditions will put it at the edge of his car's range, particularly when going uphill. I live on the other side of the continent and am not familiar with the area, so I can't speak to how well a Model 3 AWD would cope with that drive under those conditions. PlugShare shows several CCS and CHAdeMO stations that are a little closer to the base of the mountain than the closest Superchargers, but I'm not familiar with the routes involved, so I don't know how much better placed the CCS/CHAdeMO stations are.

As to the main point of the question, I've seen reports of hints (I emphasize: hints) out of Tesla that a North American CCS adapter is likely to materialize eventually. One report was of a customer service agent who said that one was planned. Of course, customer-facing support people are seldom well-informed of such things, so that doesn't mean much. Another report was of a more official communication (from Tesla corporate or Elon Musk) referring to support coming for "all compelling fast charging standards" (or words to that effect). This is vague enough that it doesn't count for much, but it is a hint that Tesla may at least be thinking about creating a CCS adapter. I'm afraid I didn't save references to URLs in which this information was presented, so it's nth-hand information. The way Tesla works, we aren't likely to hear anything definitive unless and until they announce a product for delivery in the near future, so all anybody on this forum can do is speculate, and that speculation is worth as much as we've all paid for our memberships on this forum.

In the meantime, Teslas can use any J1772 Level 2 EVSE via the included adapter, but that will be annoyingly slow unless you're stopping at the location for several hours anyhow. For faster non-Supercharger charging, the only choice for Teslas is to buy (or borrow or rent) the CHAdeMO adapter.

I will respond to my own question from reading other threads on here. For anyone local, it appears that OP is headed up into Big Bear, and I have not been there in quite some time (and never in my model 3). I dont know what the charging situation is in bigbear. I would recommend OP charge to 100% before he goes and see if he can charge at least on 110 while up there.

I will respond to my own question from reading other threads on here. For anyone local, it appears that OP is headed up into Big Bear, and I have not been there in quite some time (and never in my model 3). I dont know what the charging situation is in bigbear. I would recommend OP charge to 100% before he goes and see if he can charge at least on 110 while up there.

Yes, that is my plan. I have chosen a longer route that will NOT require chains. And I will stop in San Bernardino at the bottom and top off to 100%. I have made this trip already with no issues, take about 35 to 40% to get to the top, and almost nothing to come down. But now we have cold weather and snow. It I have 30% at the top, I will be fine. I should use very little coming down. I will dress warm so i don’t need too much heat.

If it gets bad, i will return the back way through Victorville, as it has ChargePoint and I will charge overnight to return.
But that is worst case.

There are way more CCS stations in LA and OC than Superchargers. Having access to those stations would be a great convenience. Superchargers in LA and OC are also very busy and having to wait is common. CCS stations are never busy. Maybe the OP's working wasn't very good, but there is no doubt a CCS adapter in the US would be of great value and would add a lot of convenience. I have the CHADeMO adapter and have used it many times. Sometimes to bridge a large gap between superchargers, but more often to charge in a place that is just more convenient. If I go to a mall or movie or store that has a charger right there, I might as well use it. Why drive 6 miles through bad traffic to a supercharger.

Tesla hasn't mentioned anything about adapters or conversions for North America. I imagine if they did anything for this market it would be an adapter with capped kw similar to the chademo that is capped at 50kw.

The CHADeMO adapter was designed to support the max speed back when it came out. There were no CHADeMO stations that could do more than 50 kW. Tesla didn't intentionally make it slower.