Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Chat Support sucks...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, that is exactly the frustration. When you say you were persistently checking, how were you checking (by scheduling appointments, contacting chat support, or something else)?

My issue was a bit different. I purchased the upgrade on Saturday, and use the app to schedule an install appointment that day for the following Thursday. I got a text message on Monday stating that my VIN had not yet been flagged for HW3, and to check back later.

The following Monday I reached out to the website chat support rep to see if my VIN had been flagged, and was told that it wasn't showing in their system yet. One week later I did the same, and was told that it was, and to schedule an appointment using the app. Scheduled an appointment for that Thursday, and the install took about 3 hours without issue. This was in Minnesota, and I was never aware of any part inventory issues. A week later someone posted on our local Facebook page stating that the Maplewood service center that installed mine had no parts available, and his appointment was canceled.

Its not a great situation, but what do you want the person on chat to do about it exactly? I manage a team of people doing remote IT support primarily via chat and they are constantly getting hammered over things for which they have zero direct control. Do you have a right to be frustrated that you paid and didn't get? Sure. Does that justify browbeating some poor bastard doing hourly customer support work at Tesla? Mehhh.... I guarantee you the people on the other end don't like telling you no, even if it seems like they do. They also have no vested interest in lying to you. They are just doing their jobs with the info provided to them by their systems and management.

Feel how you feel but don't take it out on those who can do nothing about it.

Its not a great situation, but what do you want the person on chat to do about it exactly? I manage a team of people doing remote IT support primarily via chat and they are constantly getting hammered over things for which they have zero direct control. Do you have a right to be frustrated that you paid and didn't get? Sure. Does that justify browbeating some poor bastard doing hourly customer support work at Tesla? Mehhh.... I guarantee you the people on the other end don't like telling you no, even if it seems like they do. They also have no vested interest in lying to you. They are just doing their jobs with the info provided to them by their systems and management.

Feel how you feel but don't take it out on those who can do nothing about it.

Would it kill them to have a better, more customer-satisfaction oriented process for dealing with customers that they are screwing over, like in this case??

How about an escalation process where you get them to a manager that actually talks to the customer on the phone, listens to their concerns, expresses some empathy, apologies, and then tells them that they still can't have what they want?

Talk is cheap, but it goes a long way, and you bozos hiding behind a chat and ending the chat early need to learn that. This post wouldn't be here giving Tesla a bad name (that they deserve in this case) if they didn't hate talking to customers so much.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: VT_EE and TX_M3P+
I don't think anywhere did it say you'd get the part immediately. :) If it makes you feel any better it doesn't really do much yet anyway ;)
True, but it didn't say I'd get it whenever either. The Mobile Tech at my house was the one that said they had the parts available and that I should request a service appointment for the upgrade. I was just doing as instructed by someone that works for Tesla.

I didn't make this post looking for empathy, just wanted to share my experience after paying a lot of money for an upgrade. Maybe there are some wanting to make the same purchase but are unsure of what the process is or how long it might take. This post was purely meant to be informational, people should know what to expect after giving Tesla their money. The chat support guy was terrible and cut me off at the end. I don't feel I was being aggressive with him or pushing him for something he didn't have the ability to provide. A simple explanation of the delay and how long to get the part would have been great. But telling me there is no ETA is not ok after spending $4k. I will continue to request service for the upgrade every week and see what happens. For any that may be interested I will update the thread with any new info I get from Tesla.

The root cause of the problem is that you are a customer. Tesla doesn't like customers, so that's really your fault for being a customer. They prefer to just deliver cars and get cash, but not have to interact with customers.

Well, comments like that, “Tesla doesn’t like customers” are great examples of being overtly dramatic don’t you think.

I could say customers like you are “never happy with anything”, is that dramatic or true ?

Hmmm, ok, I can see that. If I pay $4k for something I feel I'm "entitled" to know when I'm going to get it. I had no immediate expectations, just wanted to understand what the delay was and how long it was going to take. What an entitled prick I am...

Lol.
You’re now saying “I was just checking on what the delay was”. But your chat with them was a little harsher than that right. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: focher and TLLMRRJ
Would it kill them to have a better, more customer-satisfaction oriented process for dealing with customers that they are screwing over, like in this case??

How about an escalation process where you get them to a manager that actually talks to the customer on the phone, listens to their concerns, expresses some empathy, apologies, and then tells them that they still can't have what they want?

Talk is cheap, but it goes a long way, and you bozos hiding behind a chat and ending the chat early need to learn that. This post wouldn't be here giving Tesla a bad name (that they deserve in this case) if they didn't hate talking to customers so much.

Holy drama.
I think many people just look for reasons to fight and complain.
So your chat conversation didn’t go the way you wanted, and you didn’t like what you heard.
For that, you trash them.
They’re not in stock, they don’t have an ETA, there’s a Pandemic on going.
Cut them slack, and pull back on the drama a little.

• Disagree
Reactions: focher and TLLMRRJ
I didn't make this post looking for empathy, just wanted to share my experience after paying a lot of money for an upgrade. Maybe there are some wanting to make the same purchase but are unsure of what the process is or how long it might take. This post was purely meant to be informational, people should know what to expect after giving Tesla their money. The chat support guy was terrible and cut me off at the end. I don't feel I was being aggressive with him or pushing him for something he didn't have the ability to provide. A simple explanation of the delay and how long to get the part would have been great. But telling me there is no ETA is not ok after spending $4k. I will continue to request service for the upgrade every week and see what happens. For any that may be interested I will update the thread with any new info I get from Tesla.

And there it is. “I paid money, I demand stuff in return now.”

There are countless examples of people buying things that don’t meet ETA expectations.
If everyone that bought something didn’t get it right away, complained like this, we would all be in drama hell.

And there it is. “I paid money, I demand stuff in return now.”

There are countless examples of people buying things that don’t meet ETA expectations.
If everyone that bought something didn’t get it right away, complained like this, we would all be in drama hell.
I hate to tell you this, but it's kinda how the real world works. When one pays money for something there is an expectation of delivery, weather that is a product or a service. If they indicated at the time of purchase that there would be a delay then that is one thing, but to take my money and then tell me weeks later that there's no ETA is simply unacceptable. If that's ok with you then please send me $4k and I'll be happy to give you my FSD upgrade, sometime down the road when I decide the time is right.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I hate to tell you this, but it's kinda how the real world works. When one pays money for something there is an expectation of delivery, weather that is a product or a service. If they indicated at the time of purchase that there would be a delay then that is one thing, but to take my money and then tell me weeks later that there's no ETA is simply unacceptable. If that's ok with you then please send me $4k and I'll be happy to give you my FSD upgrade, sometime down the road when I decide the time is right.

Just ignore M109Rider. He's a classic Tesla fanboy, so he's always going to side with Tesla on everything.

Lol, it looked like he was up against the clock and needed to move on to another customer. I sympathize with both of you but I feel especially bad for the people in those positions because they're not paid a lot and they often can't do much beyond relay what's given to them. At the same time, I can understand why you feel the the way you do, but it's one of those times you just have to wait it out.

Reactions: TomB985
I am a big fan of this car and Tesla !
I’m also so so glad I’m not a perpetual whiner :)
Imagine going through life whining about everything, and needing others to join in to validate themselves. ;)
I wish I was as wealthy as you, to not give a crap about a $4k purchase that has no ETA. ;)
My money has value and when I spend $4k I expect to receive something that I perceive as equal in value. In most scenarios, when you walk into a store and put $4k worth of product in your cart, when you pay you walk out with the product. In this case I added $4k to my cart and received an email that said we'll contact you when it's ready. Then I had a Tesla employee show up at my house, that told me, we have your parts, go ahead and schedule the service, so I did. Then I was told by Tesla, sorry we don't have your parts, we'll let you know when we do. I don't know how anyone can look at that situation and think that it's a great customer experience. I love my Tesla and all the products they produce (despite the flaws) and Elon's vision for the future! I'm sold, I'm a Tesla owner, and I continue to support their vision by buying more products. Only in this case I gave but did not receive (yet). I'm not saying they robbed me and that I will never get my product, I'm saying they took my money without being honest about when I will get it. I know I will get it, I would just like for them to tell me when. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Reactions: InternetDude
I guess you didn't read my entire post. At the end of the chat conversation I indicated that I had a Tesla Mobile Tech at my house the day before and he told me that they have been doing lots of HW 3 upgrades lately because they have lots of available parts. He was the one that suggested that I open the service appointment through the app. A friend of mine that lives a few miles from me just had the HW 3 upgrade done 2 weeks ago, so I know the parts are available. I wasn't necessarily expecting a resolution but I wasn't expecting the BS runaround that I got or the rude disconnect at the end. I don't often drop $4k on any single item, but when I do I expect better treatment and honest answers to my questions.

Some cars require extra parts, especially the earlier cars.