Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla coercing software updates!?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other than limiting charging speeds , which seems to be happening at superchargers meaning they are the ones that were changed not your car, I have heard of none of this nor experienced it.
You must be joking???? Almost all updated cars with 85-packs have been reduced in capacity and SuC charging speed, and that happened around 2019.16.2. Not-updated cars do not experience this, so it has nothing to do with changes to the SuCs

When I paid for my car, in 2012, the car came with those features. I'd expect those features to last for well over 7 years. Cars often last 20 or more years.

Tesla is taking away something the sold me.

This is a lesson for everyone. IF you want a "car" don't buy a Tesla. Tesla is a lot less "car" than it is a computer with wheels. It will need to be updated, features will be added and removed, security updates may be mandatory, and ultimately the direction of the technology will be mandated by the developer - Tesla - and not you. You get to put a wrap on it, change the rims (within reason), and tint the windows, however, control of everything else belongs to Tesla.

So, you can't compare your old static "car" that will be the exact same in 5,10,50 or 100 years because you're the one in control, with a Tesla which is updated monthly. Telsa is free to add and remove features especially if it realizes that a feature is no longer sustainable - or safe - on older hardware.

Also, you didn't BUY any of the features that Tesla took way. Like any other software, you don't own it. You have an EULA which allows you to license it for your usage. Under that agreement, Tesla, the owner, can make changes or even remove your access to it as it sees fit.

That has not been my experience within weeks I got a - dash Cam then I got sentry mode then I got to schedule my charging time then I got to schedule when it ended then I got cinema, hulu, Netflix games that I don't ever play But nearly every single update has given me a new feature that I did not pay for. additionally I it has fixed whatever bugs people complained about..

Hasn't been my experience at all.
You have a model 3. Your day is coming.
As a pre-facelift Model S owner, I have to say that updates for the last couple of years have all either made things worse or, at best, had no effect. Dog mode is maybe the one positive, but after hearing reports of that failing, I have no intention of risking my beloved pets to Tesla's software.
No, I don't expect to get all the new features. I would be ecstatic if they would just leave things alone, though. (And please, nobody accuse me of "hating change" or any of that nonsense!)

That just hasn't been my experience. I admit it's only been 2 years but every update has either fixed a bug or given me a new feature that I did not expect or pay for but usually was delighted to get. Most of them would be impossible to add on later to any other make or model car and would cost more money to receive I feel I'm getting the best value with the ability for updates. Again just my personal experience.

That just hasn't been my experience. I admit it's only been 2 years but every update has either fixed a bug or given me a new feature that I did not expect or pay for but usually was delighted to get. Most of them would be impossible to add on later to any other make or model car and would cost more money to receive I feel I'm getting the best value with the ability for updates. Again just my personal experience.
I'm genuinely happy for you. I hope that continues to be your (and everyone's) experience. Just a viewpoint from behind the nosecone.
(Not sarcasm!)

This whole thread is silly. I am generally a refusenik regarding any changes to my appliances and expensive software "upgrades" that merely rearrange the menus. But in the 18 months I've owned my model 3, I've never seen an upgrade that was not a pleasant surprise. Even all those upgrades improving smart phone connectivity are only unnecessary, but not damaging. Someday I may even be willing to accept the smart phone "constant boss in your pocket" concept that everybody loves. But please keep up those great FREE upgrades.

This whole thread is silly. I am generally a refusenik regarding any changes to my appliances and expensive software "upgrades" that merely rearrange the menus. But in the 18 months I've owned my model 3, I've never seen an upgrade that was not a pleasant surprise.
It's easy to write the thread off as "silly" because you own a Model 3. This thread is about coerced software updates to Model S, where there have been some significant user-visible changes over the past 18 months which you may not have experienced. Among them:

- removal of choices (loss of control over which apps are displayed simultaneously, and in which orientation)
- removal of information (green traffic lines on map; active front view of car showing headlamps and fog lamps)
- more difficult to use (smaller icons/controls; essential features like HVAC are now buried under menus, taking eyes off road longer)
- significantly reduced range ("batterygate")
- lower supercharging speed ("chargegate")

As kavyboy noted, the day is coming when your Model 3 will no longer be the latest and greatest, and the experience you enjoy today can be changed and diminished without your approval.

That has not been my experience within weeks I got a - dash Cam then I got sentry mode then I got to schedule my charging time then I got to schedule when it ended then I got cinema, hulu, Netflix games that I don't ever play But nearly every single update has given me a new feature that I did not pay for. additionally I it has fixed whatever bugs people complained about..
Why are you in this conversation? You have a Model 3. The issues being discussed here affect pre 2018 Model S, mostly 85 kWh battery models. Your tesla ownership experience has no relevance in this discussion. You talk about getting features that none of the cars affected got ( mcu1 does not support those features), in fact, we lost mcu features while you gain them. I have nothing against you, but you are treating our issues as untrue just because your model 3 has been great. We are happy for you. We used to feel the same way, until ver 8 and latter. If you really think that we are lying about our issues, we respect your opinion, but move on.

What exactly did you lose that you liked? I have only gained ,almost every month since owning this in the last 18 months. I gained a dash Cam, then again sentry mode then again dog mode then I gained text messaging then I gained movie theaters Netflix hulu YouTube games etc etc etc I have never lost a single thing.

You have a Model 3. It has autopilot, it has only one screen, that screen is central mounted and landscape. It is also powered by MCU2.

My car has 2 screens. A central mounted portrait screen, only a single backup camera and MCU1. My UI is being destroyed to cater to a single central landscape screen displaying autopilot prominently. It's gotten worse since 7 or 8. I don't get a dash camera, as my car has only one camera, a simple backup camera with no method to record. MCU can't run Netflix or Hulu or any of that.

My car is getting worse because Tesla only cares about new customers.

Seriously. Software releases fix bugs. Do you think Tesla has found no situations where there was a bug on an opportunity to improve a safety feature such as lane-change warnings and cruise control? Over the 8 months I've had my Tesla I've seen numerous improvements in the UI, like much more voice control, Spotiy, and improved warnings for changing into an occupied lane or having an occupied lane encroach on me. Also, major improvements in regenerative braking.

What safety features? My car can't monitor blind spots. The UI is degrading as Tesla optimizes it for autopilot and landscape central screens.

This is a lesson for everyone. IF you want a "car" don't buy a Tesla.

Complete BS, Tesla sold me a CAR! Tesla did not sell me a "computer on wheels"!

Telsa is free to add and remove features especially if it realizes that a feature is no longer sustainable - or safe - on older hardware.

Not according to property law and my purchase agreement!

Also, you didn't BUY any of the features that Tesla took way.

I most certainly DID BUY THOSE FEATURES. They were offered as part of the car!

You have a model 3. Your day is coming.
As a pre-facelift Model S owner, I have to say that updates for the last couple of years have all either made things worse or, at best, had no effect. Dog mode is maybe the one positive, but after hearing reports of that failing, I have no intention of risking my beloved pets to Tesla's software.
No, I don't expect to get all the new features. I would be ecstatic if they would just leave things alone, though. (And please, nobody accuse me of "hating change" or any of that nonsense!)

Leaving the car "on" with the car in neutral and the parking brake on is much more reliable, and existed way before dog mode. And I wouldn't ever leave anyone in the car that couldn't get out on their own anyway. Including pets.