Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla.com - "Transitioning to Tesla Vision"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Transitioning to Tesla Vision​

We are continuing the transition to Tesla Vision, our camera-based Autopilot system. Beginning with deliveries in May 2021, Model 3 and Model Y vehicles built for the North American market will no longer be equipped with radar. Instead, these will be the first Tesla vehicles to rely on camera vision and neural net processing to deliver Autopilot, Full-Self Driving and certain active safety features. Customers who ordered before May 2021 and are matched to a car with Tesla Vision will be notified of the change through their Tesla Accounts prior to delivery.
For a short period during this transition, cars with Tesla Vision may be delivered with some features temporarily limited or inactive, including:
  • Autosteer will be limited to a maximum speed of 75 mph and a longer minimum following distance.
  • Smart Summon (if equipped) and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance may be disabled at delivery.
In the weeks ahead, we’ll start restoring these features via a series of over-the-air software updates. All other available Autopilot and Full Self-Driving features will be active at delivery, depending on order configuration.
All new Model S and Model X, as well as all vehicles built for markets outside of North America, will continue to be equipped with radar and will have radar-supported Autopilot functionality until we determine the appropriate time to transition those vehicles to Tesla Vision.

Frequently Asked Questions​

How do I know if my car is equipped with radar? 
Starting with deliveries in May 2021, Model 3 and Model Y vehicles built for the North American market will be optimized for Tesla Vision and will not be equipped with radar. If you ordered a car before May and are matched to a car that is not equipped with radar, you will be notified of the change in your Tesla Account prior to delivery.
Why aren’t Model S and Model X transitioning now?
Model 3 and Model Y are our higher volume vehicles. Transitioning them to Tesla Vision first allows us to analyze a large volume of real-world data in a short amount of time, which ultimately speeds up the roll-out of features based on Tesla Vision.

I don’t love the 75mph auto steer limitation or the lengthened follow distance but I guess if they think it’s safer, they gotta do it. Maybe someday when they are more confident they can restore original settings.
That's no different than the original software rollout for AP2+ cars.
The features were all limited to a certain speed.
Even Automatic Emergency Braking - AEB was only increased to the full speed with 2017.42 update (went from 28 mph to 50 mph then finally to 90 mph)

Reactions: APotatoGod
Took them what, like at least a year to rebuild the software to parity during the last major hardware change (mobileeye -> HW2)? I wonder how long this transition will take...
It took longer to reach parity with AP1...
But in 2016 they were entering an entirely new market (ADAS software + hardware)
Today, all these are things within their own working stack.

Last edited:

Why aren’t Model S and Model X transitioning now?

Model 3 and Model Y are our higher volume vehicles. Transitioning them to Tesla Vision first allows us to analyze a large volume of real-world data in a short amount of time, which ultimately speeds up the roll-out of features based on Tesla Vision.
<filter options="replace_bullshit">
Model 3 and Model Y are our higher volume vehicles so transitioning them to Tesla Vision saves us a bunch of money while also removing the phantom braking events that we were unable to fix.
</filter>

That's no different than the original software rollout for AP2+ cars.
The features were all limited to a certain speed.
Even Automatic Emergency Braking - AEB was only increased to the full speed with 2017.42 update (went from 28 mph to 50 mph then finally to 90 mph)
AP2 predates my ownership experience so I don’t take much consolation in that. I just know my road trips will be impacted negatively. I will have to decide between driving at a comfortable speed and using the auto steer feature, which I love especially on road trips. I’m no speed demon by any stretch but I do like to go 5 mph over the limit which is 75 on most freeways I use.

AP2 predates my ownership experience so I don’t take much consolation in that. I just know my road trips will be impacted negatively. I will have to decide between driving at a comfortable speed and using the auto steer feature, which I love especially on road trips. I’m no speed demon by any stretch but I do like to go 5 mph over the limit which is 75 on most freeways I use.
Wait a minute.
You already own a AP2+ car with radar, right?
They did not say that all 3's and Y's will lose radar, they said new ones shipped from the factory will be limited until further validation Transitioning to Tesla Vision

Wait a minute.
You already own a AP2+ car with radar, right?
They did not say that all 3's and Y's will lose radar, they said new ones shipped from the factory will be limited until further validation Transitioning to Tesla Vision
I see. I misinterpreted that I guess. I took that announcement to mean they were discontinuing use of existing radar and reducing maximum speed of all vintages. (2018 m3 w hw3 is what I gots). Sorry for any confusion

• Helpful
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Took them what, like at least a year to rebuild the software to parity during the last major hardware change (mobileeye -> HW2)? I wonder how long this transition will take...

Clearly from the Tesla memo, since they are temporarily nerfing AS, there will be some transition time, but I think the transition will be shorter this time. With AP1->AP2, they were transitioning to a completely new sensor suite that added new sensors. And Tesla was completely rewriting the software. Here, Tesla is not radically altering the sensor suite, they are just removing one sensor. And Tesla is not starting from scratch with the software. They are starting with existing Tesla Vision that they've been working on for awhile now and simply validating it to make sure it is reliable.

Clearly from the Tesla memo, since they are temporarily nerfing AS, there will be some transition time, but I think the transition will be shorter this time. With AP1->AP2, they were transitioning to a completely new sensor suite that added new sensors. And Tesla was completely rewriting the software. Here, Tesla is not radically altering the sensor suite, they are just removing one sensor. And Tesla is not starting from scratch with the software. They are starting with existing Tesla Vision that they've been working on for awhile now and simply validating it to make sure it is reliable.
I generally agree, but theoretically given how long they had to perfect this if it was truly part of the plan, it seems a little too sudden and with too many limitations to bode well for a smooth transition... guess we'll see :)

Unsaid is the fact that those with HW3 and paid FSD (our case, $8K and $6K in 2020 and 2018, respectively) will NOT get "Tesla Vision." With the abandonment of radar-equipped FSD betas (the 8.x city FSD), we are pushed to the back of the line.

How freakin' dumb is that?
I think those of us with radars will still have Tesla Vision but we'll have the radar to fall back on thus fewer limitations at the start. I'm assuming they haven't changed the actual hardware spec of the cameras

I generally agree, but theoretically given how long they had to perfect this if it was truly part of the plan, it seems a little too sudden and with too many limitations to bode well for a smooth transition... guess we'll see :)

Yeah, I hope for a smooth transition too. But we could see some setbacks. It is not uncommon to see setbacks in software development after all.

I wonder if maybe Elon decided to accelerate the timeline of the transition. I imagine that they've been working on Tesla Vision for awhile now but maybe Elon moved up the transition date when he decided that Tesla Vision was good enough.