Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla.com - "Transitioning to Tesla Vision"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is only a logical sentence if you have the background that removal of radar is a bad thing for your customers at this time.
If removal of radar was good, they would have prioritized removing it from the S/X first.
If it was neutral, it wouldn't matter.

Indeed. I for one consider removing functionality and safety features from cars to be a bad thing for customers, but hey, I'm biased.

exactly, few people will miss smart summon. I’ve personally never used it.
Because you've never used it, it doesn't matter?

Isn't interesting that Tesla had to take out the one current feature that looks closest to City FSD, which is driving around a complex environment with nobody to take over? That radar was so fundamental here that they can't even try it anymore?

FYI, Tesla's own numbers as of last year showed only 200,000 automated lane changes but 1,200,000 smart summon sessions.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Not really the point though. If camera only was as good as radar they wouldn’t of had to disable it.

What's wrong with them taking steps to confirm before enabling all features without limitations?

It seems like the obvious thing to do. Even if they're confident that it's as good as radar, it'd still be a good idea to limit features until it's out in the wild. We all know the unexpected can happen with software deployments.

Why does everything Tesla does have to be perfect out of the gate?

What's wrong with them taking steps to confirm before enabling all features without limitations?

It seems like the obvious thing to do. Even if they're confident that it's as good as radar, it'd still be a good idea to limit features until it's out in the wild. We all know the unexpected can Happen with Software deployments.

Because they have a pretty well established history of getting to the point of marginal functionality and then moving on to the next shiny object to lure new victims with.

Because they charge money for this, and they supposedly focus on safety, and they have a system which already works and they could have waited to remove Radar until it was fully validated instead of treating their customers like investors in their future development?

There are people out there that bought cars with Radar advertised that are now being told the car that was supposed to be delivered this week doesn't have it, and it's take it or leave it. That's some crazy pressure for someone that may have a lease ending or other situation.

It seems like the obvious thing to do. Even if they're confident that it's as good as radar, it'd still be a good idea to limit features until it's out in the wild. We all know the unexpected can happen with software deployments.

why remove radar until you are ready? Obviously to save money, not to put out a better product.

Because they charge money for this, and they supposedly focus on safety, and they have a system which already works and they could have waited to remove Radar until it was fully validated?

There are people out there that bought cars with Radar advertised that are now being told the car that was supposed to be delivered this week doesn't have it, and it's take it or leave it. That's some crazy pressure for someone that may have a lease ending or other situation.

There's also another perspective:

Perhaps it is fully validated, but it still needs to be confirmed (in the wild) in a short time. So there's no point in including radar if you're only going to take it out within a month or two.

We also know that Tesla released new firmware versions on current cars with vision only NNs. This is only information that green has gathered. It's possible Tesla has been validating other aspects of it prior (without our knowledge).

Even if they're confident that it's as good as radar, it'd still be a good idea to limit features until it's out in the wild. We all know the unexpected can happen with software deployments.
Yep, taking it safe by reducing AP's max speed, lane departure avoidance, and no smart summon, but leaving everything else intact. Seems like a situation where they have everything working fine, but just picked 3 random things to be cautious with.

In a consumer world, a capitalist system, when I fully paid for my dinner party, I should not have to wait for the restaurant owner to get regulatory approval for a fishing license. Everything should be ready to go and the fish needs to be in the kitchen already!

So there's no point in including radar if you're only going to take it out within a month or two.
Sure there is. It's called delivering to your customers what you advertised. It's also called "looking at your history of 2 month estimates and realizing you are always wrong."

There is a single reason to remove it now, and it's money. There is zero upside for your customer to removing it now, and a clear downside.

Reactions: InternetDude
In a consumer world, a capitalist system, when I fully paid for my dinner party, I should not have to wait for the restaurant owner to get regulatory approval for a fishing license. Everything should be ready to go and the fish needs to be in the kitchen already!

This is more akin to the chef not even knowing if you need to go fishing to acquire a swordfish.