Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla.com - "Transitioning to Tesla Vision"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you explain?
Since when do those agencies ever test pre-released functions?
They buy a publicly released vehicle and perform their independent testing.

What am I missing here?
I assume most safety testing happens before the car is released. The manufacturer provides samples to the government agencies.

if what you are saying is true, I will accept it as a third possibility.

Bro you best be checking my post history before you bring up that fud bullshit. This was a terrible decision by Tesla. That’s all.
Fair, maybe not YOU specifically, but there has been a LOT of misinformation out there regarding what features have been nerfed and what hasnt. For example, most media outlets are 'reporting' (likely based on forum posts) that Automatic Emergency Braking is not present in newer cars. This is contrary to both Tesla's post AND Elon's direct statement to Electrec.

Reactions: MrSlippery
Fair, maybe not YOU specifically, but there has been a LOT of misinformation out there regarding what features have been nerfed and what hasnt. For example, most media outlets are 'reporting' (likely based on forum posts) that Automatic Emergency Braking is not present in newer cars. This is contrary to both Tesla's post AND Elon's direct statement to Electrec.

And this is entirely Teslas fault. What stopped them from testing and validating these features before the "upgrade" was announced to the public?

1622212587899.gif

What are you talking about? Those features were not labeled as present by NHTSA, which consulted Tesla on the matter.

Direct quote from Elon. They are currently in a 'not approved' state until tested but they are there and active. This is a regulatory thing that will likely be old news next week.

This whole thing seemed FUD'y from the start.

What some idiots on the internet, and by extension, the media, took that to mean Automatic EMERGENCY BRAKING (Different from lane departure) was removed/disabled. How they made that leap, I dont know.

Are you aware that Tesla themselves removed AEB from the standard functions list on the autopilot page when they announced Tesla Vision?
It only came back when someone pointed it out.
Then, when the NHTSA called them, they were unable to convince them that the cars still had AEB.

How is this FUD and anything but Tesla's own fault?

Also, the only evidence we have that AEB still exists is a screen shot, where the option is still on the screen. As we keep getting told, this doesn't mean it's the same AEB as before, maybe it doesn't pass the tests needed to legally call it AEB.

Are you aware that Tesla themselves removed AEB from the standard functions list on the autopilot page when they announced Tesla Vision?
It only came back when someone pointed it out.
Then, when the NHTSA called them, they were unable to convince them that the cars still had AEB.

How is this FUD and anything but Tesla's own fault?

Also, the only evidence we have that AEB still exists is a screen shot, where the option is still on the screen. As we keep getting told, this doesn't mean it's the same AEB as before, maybe it doesn't pass the tests needed to legally call it AEB.
I must have missed where they removed AEB.

It hasnt been tested by the NHTSA yet. We will see what happens when they test it.

For example, most media outlets are 'reporting' (likely based on forum posts) that Automatic Emergency Braking is not present in newer cars.
The media is reporting on the fact that NHTSA called Tesla, consulted with them and then based on that, removed AEB from NHTSA's own NCAP list, and reduced the safety rating of the cars based on this.
No media is responding to any forum post.
Tesla was unable to convince NHTSA that the AEB on the current cars met NHTSA's definition for AEB. Yes, maybe that just means it's untested, but that is still a news-worthy event that Tesla made a large enough change to the cars that a regulator had to remove a feature from the list until it's tested. Who knows if it will past the test? If you care about NHTSA safety ratings, you can't buy a new car that just came out until NHTSA rates it. In this case, if you care about AEB, you also can't buy a 3/X until NHTSA tests it. It's functionally a new car, and it's up to the consumer to understand if they will trust Tesla that it is there before a regulator verifies.

All sounds very, very newsworthy for a company that is so focused on safety yet is removing safety features (even if supposedly temporary).

I must have missed where they removed AEB.

It hasnt been tested by the NHTSA yet. We will see what happens when they test it.
Then maybe don't call people idiots for making assumptions when you are making assumptions.

Interesting how when the facts of the situation are known, it doesn't really look like FUD, and it's "Well, we just have to wait for NHTSA." Yep, we do. We don't get to trust Tesla on this one, or an Elon tweet, because their history is so iffy and opaque when they make changes.

The last time this happened they did actually remove AEB from cars and didn't tell anyone. It took a media report from Consumer reports to get them to acknowledge it and accelerate the return. The media is doing their function in society here, not being idiots or "FUDsters," and Tesla keeps making the same mistakes over, and over again, even thought they have been planning this transition to Tesla Vision very carefully for a long time now, and totally weren't rushed in this case.

found this converter http://www.endmemo.com/sconvert/fpshz.php ... my bad, I am not sure what that conversion is for.

But at 36 fps it would make the end result even better (2x better).

Ah,

My guess is its for interlaced video, but I don't think the sensors Tesla uses support that. Plus he spec'd the full resolution so that to me means 36fps.

• Helpful
Reactions: mikes_fsd