Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Covering Some MCU1 Issues for Some Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brought my car in for servicing as I had horrible lag on the touchscreen and voice commands didn’t work

they indicated on the repair order two things
1) having a USB connected slows everything down and to remove it
2) they are aware and it will be fixed in software update , specifically here is the text

This is a known bug since 2020.32. There is a software resolution that will come in play in future firmware 2020.48. It will also aid the speed of the MCU. As it implies, using infotainment feature simultaneously will potentially slow down the MCU. In the meantime, scroll reset will restore functionality and speed.

It is known that a USB stick can cause problems, but that does not mean your Emmc is "Fine"

It is rediculous to say that you should avoid infotainment as a fix. How is that "Working as designed"?

It is also disingenuous to say things will be fixed with a future update. We have heard that one before...

I am sure the SvC folks are saying and doing as they are told, as Elon is busy with his "Game of pennies"

If enough of us complain, maybe Elon will do something about it.

To put things in perspective, for the sale price of one of his houses, he could pay for every MCU1 Emmc chip to be replaced.

I’ve been told SC clearing home directory would fix it. It didn’t.

I was then told SC clearing cache would fix it. It didn’t.

I was then told mobile tech coming out to do a hard reboot would fix it. It didn’t.

I was then told to unplug everything from my USB ports including the Tesla phone charger, and that would fix it. It didn’t.

(And yes, the techs confirmed my issues did exist, via checking logs. )

Now a software/firmware push will fix it?

sure.

Last edited:

I was then told mobile tech coming out to do a hard reboot would fix it. It didn’t.

I was then told to unplug everything from my USB ports including the Tesla phone charger, and that would fix it. It didn’t.

sure.

Yup, sounds familiar. They told me the CPU is being "stressed", they did an MCU health check and it came out fine. I felt like saying really? That makes no sense.

Reactions: 2101Guy

sure.

It is also disingenuous to say things will be fixed with a future update. We have heard that one before...

yup:

Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 7.02.56 AM.png

edit: found another tweet :)
Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 7.41.49 AM.png

Last edited:

sure.

It's truly pathetic how resistant to fixing it (as in chip replacement), Tesla has become now that they will foot the bill.

It's truly pathetic how resistant to fixing it (as in chip replacement), Tesla has become now that they will foot the bill.
Yes, it is. But things change rapidly regarding eMMC issues. In just a month we could find the current resistance to take a borderline failed eMMC in and repair it. We all know how tight lipped Tesla is about current and future plans. This could be triage and taking worse first and not even offering explanation when next will be next. Yes, it waste a lot of people's time, but that's not uncommon for them. And SCs are likely just doing what they have been told to do, - not accept new work until allowed to accept new work.

We saw shortages of MCU1 remanu units for several months. Then we saw what appeared to be the beginning of plenty of supply of daughterboards. I suspect this resisting of replacements is a supply issue. But that's just my guess.

Reactions: Barry and aesculus
Yes, it is. But things change rapidly regarding eMMC issues. In just a month we could find the current resistance to take a borderline failed eMMC in and repair it. We all know how tight lipped Tesla is about current and future plans. This could be triage and taking worse first and not even offering explanation when next will be next. Yes, it waste a lot of people's time, but that's not uncommon for them. And SCs are likely just doing what they have been told to do, - not accept new work until allowed to accept new work.

We saw shortages of MCU1 remanu units for several months. Then we saw what appeared to be the beginning of plenty of supply of daughterboards. I suspect this resisting of replacements is a supply issue. But that's just my guess.

That guy with the razor would postulate the simplest and most likey cause is cost cutting, esp with the end of Quarter and 1% profit margin, and Elon's "Game of Pennies" as he told his employees last week.

Car will stay parked as much as possible in "Emmc failure immenent mode" until next quarter. I think that is the best course of action for me.

Reactions: whitex and Akikiki
That guy with the razor would postulate the simplest and most likey cause is cost cutting, esp with the end of Quarter and 1% profit margin, and Elon's "Game of Pennies" as he told his employees last week.

Car will stay parked as much as possible in "Emmc failure immenent mode" until next quarter. I think that is the best course of action for me.

It seems inevitable that the NHTSA will force a complete recall in the next few months, IMO. Hang tight.

Reactions: aesculus
I have a 2013 Model S with 90k miles. Center screen was working fine and then went completely black and dead last week.

Took it to the Portland, OR service center. They fixed it and the invoice says
"Replaced daughterboard.
Part
MSX MCU TEGRA DAUGHTERBOARD-PROV (64GB)"

Sounds like I got the good stuff, right? Has been working fine for the 2 days I have had it back.
Macadam rocks! Have never had an issue with them and they will actually listen to you vs canned answers.

Elon's "soon" means anytime between a tomorrow and never. Still waiting on that MCU1 SDK coming soon since 2013. My 691hp (+50%) over the air update is also coming soon to my 2015 P85D since I bought it in 2015. Etc, etc.... There there is the "sooner than people think" which really is the same as "soon" but I guess Elon figured people would assume that means sooner than "soon". He tried "3 months maybe, 6 months for sure" once but that one was way too clear to call him out on 12 months later, so he reverted to just using "soon".

Aren't we all feeling like fools at this point ?

Beholden to some ADHD addled man-child whose primary focus is digging tunnels, closely followed by sending his children to Mars.

Fix our damn cars Musk.

Fixing them would require time and money. Replacing emmcs and writing new software specific for mcu1. We know Tesla is pinching pennies now so don't hold your breath waiting for any solution

• Love
Reactions: gmo43
Anyone had any luck getting their local to approve this?
Yes -- what the Warranty Adjustment Page does not tell you is that the first thing Service is going to ask you (via Text in my case) is the exact date and time I last had an issue -- within the past two weeks. Who can remember that if you weren't told in advance to make a note? As it happens, due to COVID and me not traveling much, I was able to use my Google Maps timeline to go through my trips and nail down the date / time it happened. Then it happened again and after I rebooted, I used the voice command "Report."