Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Covering Some MCU1 Issues for Some Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh oh. Had my first unintended reboot/crash after the daughter card replacement a month or two ago.
Last night while sitting in the driveway with headlights on and HVAC going, the MCU went dark and stayed that way. 20secs later, the IC went *white*, not blank. Headlights and HVAC remained on, but still no MCU reboot. Another 30secs later the IC goes dark and car shuts down (HVAC and headlights turn off).
Pushing brake etc. does nothing. Getting worried at this point. Finally, after a couple mins, the Tesla T appears on the MCU and reboot completes shortly thereafter and I go on my merry way. Only error msgs logged are the typical AP not available because it was still in the reboot process. No further I’ll effects today. Knock on wood!

yeah, mine too. it is still a Linux box on wheels; reboots will still happen, or still be required from time to time. They did before the emmc degraded, and they will after repair. As long as it is less than weekly, and everything works as intended after rebooting it is something we will have to live with, or pay for the mcu2. I’ll live with a few reboots.

Someone correct me if I am wrong about the improved mcu2 stability; I haven’t read many posts from those who upgraded to mcu2.

I'm so excited - just got an email indicating that the MCU1 is essentially getting a 100K mile and 8yr warranty!

Wording here:
Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S/X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.
Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no-cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Center for 8 years/100k miles from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.
If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.

Hey!! its been 30 days!!!!! Anyone seen or heard of that email we're supposed to get telling how/when they will refund our $2000 spent on replacing MCU1 with refurbished MCU1 with THE EXACT SAME ISSUE?......

Anyone?.....Anyone?....Buehler? Yeah thought so...
upload_2020-12-8_9-45-7.jpeg

They never said 30 days. They said in February of 2021, so you still have a couple months to wait for details.
I can guarantee the refund timeline will be based on Tesla's financial performance any given quarter. Elon will not allocate the money when the quarter is looking especially tight. So if he's in penny-pinching mode for Q4 - and let's assume Q1 2021 as well -- good luck one and all.

...Someone correct me if I am wrong about the improved mcu2 stability; I haven’t read many posts from those who upgraded to mcu2.

@dark cloud, as usual, you are correct - ah, not wrong. MCU2 stability is great. You just get in the car and go, you no longer think about freezing up, black screens, reboots, nana. And take it from someone whose MCU1 rebooted every 20 minutes for four months. MCU2 simply erases all those old problems.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
yeah, mine too. it is still a Linux box on wheels; reboots will still happen, or still be required from time to time. They did before the emmc degraded, and they will after repair. As long as it is less than weekly, and everything works as intended after rebooting it is something we will have to live with, or pay for the mcu2. I’ll live with a few reboots.

Someone correct me if I am wrong about the improved mcu2 stability; I haven’t read many posts from those who upgraded to mcu2.
Agreed, but have never had the car completely shut off as well as multiple IC reboots at the same time. That’s the worrisome part, actually being stranded somewhere vs a dead MCU (no convenience features).

Reactions: brkaus
I just got my 2015 Model S P85D back from the Costa Mesa, CA Service Center with the MCU2 upgrade and new display (and new 2020.44.25 software update).

WOW. What an incredible improvement! The Tesla browser actually works which is important to me since I use Tesla Waze all the time to stay speeding ticket free. We also use it to view websites which the MCU1 struggled to load and display.

I also love the MCU2 5.0Ghz WiFi option which gave me 100 Mbps vs. the previous 7 Mbps on the MCU1 with 4G LTE upgrade which only had 2.4Ghz WiFi. This speed increase should download the typically LARGE Tesla software and map updates faster and again makes using the Tesla browser a viable option. Previous MCU1 browsing was painfully slow or simply displayed a blank screen so we gave us using it and instead used our iPhones.

Also the map filling and drawing (especially the refreshes) are MUCH faster, the screen and key entries are much more responsive. NetFlix app works great although I wish they put the video rectangle in the top of the display instead of the middle since it would be closer to head (not chest / belly) height. I couldn't get YouTube app to work since I have 2 Factor Authentication on my logon... which the browser doesn't seem to support. Any ideas how to get around that?

Only differences are the backup camera brightness is less (but still usable). Also my Premium Audio sounds a little different... but I like the Full Immersive option (and never really liked the Dolby of the MCU1).

BOTTOM LINE. VERY happy with this upgrade since it resolved the biggest annoyance of our otherwise awesome P85D. This will definitely hold me over for the next 2 years until hopefully:
  • my Tesla 4-year extended warranty expires
  • FSD becomes a reality
  • the next Model S is released... or I can find a great deal on an "Inventory" or "used" Performance Model S

See ? Told Ya !!!

Sorry. Could not resist the temptation.

Congratulation. Worth every penny.

Youtube. An idea. Use a different/new Google account and don't turn on 2 FA. Log in on one with Firefox and the other account on Chrome, then duplicate the same subscriptions on the new account that you have on the old account. Now you have a car account with less risk because of no 2 FA.

Reactions: BrokerDon
And no analog radio of any sort right? No other little things that have gone missing?

We don't miss the analog radio since we never used it. We play music using:
  1. Streaming (XLive formerly Slacker Radio)
  2. TuneIn
  3. Apple Music
  4. iTunes Music physically on our iPhones (when there's no internet)
Works GREAT for us and IMHO the sound quality is superior to AM & FM too... including HD Radio (which we have in another vehicle)

Oh oh. Had my first unintended reboot/crash after the daughter card replacement a month or two ago.
Last night while sitting in the driveway with headlights on and HVAC going, the MCU went dark and stayed that way. 20secs later, the IC went *white*, not blank. Headlights and HVAC remained on, but still no MCU reboot. Another 30secs later the IC goes dark and car shuts down (HVAC and headlights turn off).
Pushing brake etc. does nothing. Getting worried at this point. Finally, after a couple mins, the Tesla T appears on the MCU and reboot completes shortly thereafter and I go on my merry way. Only error msgs logged are the typical AP not available because it was still in the reboot process. No further I’ll effects today. Knock on wood!

Same! I had lockup and corrupted graphics about a month AFTER the daughter board replacement. When they did the replacement they did a full factory reset. I opened another service appointment today and they asked me to do another full factory reset and they were re-pushing the same 2020.9.4.2 firmware to my car. It doesn't seem like this Tegra chip is really fixing the issue. :rolleyes:

20201210_153019.jpg 20201210_184721.jpg

Same! I had lockup and corrupted graphics about a month AFTER the daughter board replacement. When they did the replacement they did a full factory reset. I opened another service appointment today and they asked me to do another full factory reset and they were re-pushing the same 2020.9.4.2 firmware to my car. It doesn't seem like this Tegra chip is really fixing the issue. :rolleyes:

View attachment 616733 View attachment 616734
Let me help. The issues are coming from the eMMC, that's equal to a hard disk in a computer. So, to say the computer's CPU is not running properly when your computer's hard drive had failed, is certainly not the right diagnosis of the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Steady according to recent posts at $2500 with a new screen, $2250 if you use your old screen.
And we hear the decision to use your screen or get new screen must be made at time of work request, else if the order the wrong one, you wait until the ship the other one.

Let me help. The issues are coming from the eMMC, that's equal to a hard disk in a computer. So, to say the computer's CPU is not running properly when your computer's hard drive had failed, is certainly not the right diagnosis of the problem.

Thanks for the help, so you are saying that the eMMC on my new daughter board replacement last month is already bad?

Thanks for the help, so you are saying that the eMMC on my new daughter board replacement last month is already bad?
He was pointing out that the eMMC has nothing to do with the Tegra processor. You had mistakenly used that term when you were really talking/asking about the eMMC.
The new eMMC itself is prob not bad, just like mine prob isn’t bad. Most likely s/w issues/corner cases with handshakes between a new daughter board with the rest of the ecosystem.

He was pointing out that the eMMC has nothing to do with the Tegra processor. You had mistakenly used that term when you were really talking/asking about the eMMC.
The new eMMC itself is prob not bad, just like mine prob isn’t bad. Most likely s/w issues/corner cases with handshakes between a new daughter board with the rest of the ecosystem.

In the meantime, likely nothing is bad hardware wise, but I’m afraid to drive my car anywhere.

I got the warning on the IC a couple of weeks ago and scheduled a service appointment. Wednesday, they cancelled because they don't have the part. But they did send me an email confirming the part order. That's better than last time they needed to order a part for me. (The didn't order the part, let me come in for the appointment before saying, hey, we need to order the part!)

It's a relief that I got the warning, because I'll be completely out of warranty in early February!