Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Covering Some MCU1 Issues for Some Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Other issues affecting MCU performance" = My guess is that they want to wipe your cache files or satellite map tiles much like how on a computer you delete all the temp files to "speed it up".:confused:

I wonder what would happen if you sat in your car in the garage on wifi and played with the maps for a hour or so (downloading map tiles all over the earth over and over) while streaming music, or rebooted your computer 20 times in a row (because you kept having graphical glitches each time it came up?). Probably would take a while but it would be a shame if your computer didnt come back up after doing all that and you needed to get it replaced under the new warranty.:rolleyes:

I’m no expert with anything computer related, but before fixing my mcu it was going into the video games that it struggled with the most: the only time it would freeze up or spontaneously reboot was upon entering or exiting the arcade ( back then you found the games by hitting the T and waiting for the popup; seems like so long ago...)

"Other issues affecting MCU performance" = My guess is that they want to wipe your cache files or satellite map tiles much like how on a computer you delete all the temp files to "speed it up".:confused:

I wonder what would happen if you sat in your car in the garage on wifi and played with the maps for a hour or so (downloading map tiles all over the earth over and over) while streaming music, or rebooted your computer 20 times in a row (because you kept having graphical glitches each time it came up?). Probably would take a while but it would be a shame if your computer didnt come back up after doing all that and you needed to get it replaced under the new warranty.:rolleyes:
Tesla pushed navigation update NA-2020.48.12628 to my car yesterday. Between 16:00 and midnight my car pulled down nearly 6.4 GB of data.
Still on 2020.36.11 firmware though.
The Nav data is saved to a separate SD card and not the main eMMC, correct? If it were saved on the eMMC I think 6.4 GB would fill an entire partition.

Reactions: ahkahn
Tesla pushed navigation update NA-2020.48.12628 to my car yesterday. Between 16:00 and midnight my car pulled down nearly 6.4 GB of data.
The Nav data is saved to a separate SD card and not the main eMMC, correct? If it were saved on the eMMC I think 6.4 GB would fill an entire partition.

Did a wee search and found this from the expert: Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

I am not sure how it is divided. But it seems to me that map data (6.4 GB: roads, distances, elevation?) is separate from the satellite tile data. When i drive in the mountains it losses connectivity to be able to draw the satellite tiles but it still has the line of the road that I am on. I am sure someone out there has done some digging and found what goes where.

I am not sure how it is divided. But it seems to me that map data (6.4 GB: roads, distances, elevation?) is separate from the satellite tile data. When i drive in the mountains it losses connectivity to be able to draw the satellite tiles but it still has the line of the road that I am on. I am sure someone out there has done some digging and found what goes where.
Yes - satellite tiles come in over the car's cellular connection and the feature requires premium connectivity.
Basic (vector?) map data is stored, according to the linked post above, on a 16 GB micro-SD card.
What i don't know is how long the satellite data is cached, or where.
I also wonder how much of the map has actually changed. I'm assuming 6.4 GB is not a delta, but an entirely new set of vector maps?

Super frustrating, Tesla service called me (3rd time taking my car in for crashing MCU1), and they said it was due to the plugged in USB drive which I use for TeslaCam. Does this make sense at all? That a solid state USB drive will cause the MCU to frequently crash/reboot?
Actually I received the same response from Tesla a few days claiming my Samsung SD card-based usb drive was causing the display to reboot/crash.
I actually had a big argument with them not believing what they said. But still they refused to replace the eMMC card citing it's not the root cause.
However, believe it or not, I did remove the usb drive after that and the display has been quite stable since then. The responsiveness also improved quite noticibly. I believe this is due to the MCU not having to record dashcam video on to use drive, gaining back some cpu cycles for other uses.
As a trade off, I reinstalled my standalone dashcam back till they will replace my eMMC some day.

Actually I received the same response from Tesla a few days claiming my Samsung SD card-based usb drive was causing the display to reboot/crash.
I actually had a big argument with them not believing what they said. But still they refused to replace the eMMC card citing it's not the root cause.
However, believe it or not, I did remove the usb drive after that and the display has been quite stable since then. The responsiveness also improved quite noticibly. I believe this is due to the MCU not having to record dashcam video on to use drive, gaining back some cpu cycles for other uses.
As a trade off, I reinstalled my standalone dashcam back till they will replace my eMMC some day.

Interesting. The thing is I've had this Samsung SSD for a while, and it only started doing it recently. I would notice though that after 2 days or so, the dashcam would stop working and I'd have to reformat. Sometimes, it would not work 1 day, then work the next. Did you end up getting a different USB drive?

Interesting. The thing is I've had this Samsung SSD for a while, and it only started doing it recently. I would notice though that after 2 days or so, the dashcam would stop working and I'd have to reformat. Sometimes, it would not work 1 day, then work the next. Did you end up getting a different USB drive?
Actually I have been using the Samsung SD card for quite a ways well. Guess we are in the same boat. I'm still using the standalone dashcam for not. I'm worried the workload for writing to SD card alone might be too much for this 8 year old MCU technology. For now I'll keep it like this. It's been a couple weeks since I removed the card and has been solid so far.

Bad news guys. I had my daughter board replaced a few weeks ago, things were running better but just had my MCU freeze up and become unresponsive and had to do a force reboot to get functionality back. So it doesnt seem like things are complete smooth sailing after having the part replaced. :(

Not surprised. It's pretty clear the Tegra cannot handle the requirements of V9 and above.

So after Tesla insisting my plugged in dashcam for TeslaCam was causing my MCU issues, last night, MCU glitched again (froze, then rebooted), *without* the USB drive plugged in. Service advisor sent me his email, said if it comes up again, at this point I likely wont even need to make an appointment to take my car in, getting ridiculous. I sent him the timestamp and photos, lets see what happens.

So after Tesla insisting my plugged in dashcam for TeslaCam was causing my MCU issues, last night, MCU glitched again (froze, then rebooted), *without* the USB drive plugged in. Service advisor sent me his email, said if it comes up again, at this point I likely wont even need to make an appointment to take my car in, getting ridiculous. I sent him the timestamp and photos, lets see what happens.

Well, good. Looks like you won that argument. When you said, they were insisting its your USB drive plugged in that was causing the problem, I had an idea. And although you don't seem to need it - maybe its an idea that has merit for others. You know that, Tesla has a USB drive in their store now. And they are providing with with new Y/3s during delivery. So, but the Tesla USB drive and try it. How can they deny its not a problem they own if its their car, their software and now their USB drive?

Not surprised. It's pretty clear the Tegra cannot handle the requirements of V9 and above.
You are spot on and many owners did not want to update from V8 (which seemed to run just fine).
But didn't Tesla start being hostile towards owners that didn't update but needed service work done? And besides the on screen update nag would be rather annoying to deal with daily.

Reactions: Akikiki
You are spot on and many owners did not want to update from V8 (which seemed to run just fine).
But didn't Tesla start being hostile towards owners that didn't update but needed service work done? And besides the on screen update nag would be rather annoying to deal with daily.

Yup. And now they are not pushing any updates to MCU1 for fear of frying emmcs