Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Covering Some MCU1 Issues for Some Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With Tesla's recent announcement of covering the MCU design flaw repair, they exclude reimbursement for third party repairs going forward.

After my experience this morning (via text...because, you know...they don't take customers' phone calls), I'm convinced that this is all a facade. My eMMC chip is exhibiting all of the symptoms of failure - including the ones listed by Tesla - and they just outright refused to even look at it.

They'll replace 100 units and call it a day, then not have to deal with a class action suit because the rest of us (who are clearly having major issues) haven't had a full on failure.

MCU1 without FSD worked fine for me.
Once I went FSD? I've almost lost track of all of the documented instances of MCU1 related issues including long bootup time, screen freezing when switching to/from TuneIn, random MCU reboots, voice recognition not working approx 90% of the time ...and more.

I may be viewing this too simplistically (and if Im wrong, someone with more knowledge feel free to correct me) but appears like:
MCU1=technology from 2012 era that had enough horsepower to work fine with non FSD computer but was not designed to support the resource needs of 2020 FSD
MCU2=technology from 2017/2018 era that has far more HP/enough to adequately support both pre FSD and FSD computer

Ditto! Had HW3 installed with my MCU1. Love the FSD functionality (stop signs and lights,etc.) but now:
  • No voice commands - push the button, talk, spinner, then shows a list of example quotes, like I didn't speak
  • No summon - Won't do Smart summon or the more simple move forward or reverse. Starts up, but then says "lost connection" every time (both on WiFi and on cell). This is with an iPhone 11 Pro Max
  • Everything is REALLY slow and sluggish on the MCU. Like, wait 5 seconds for the backup camera to appear, or can watch the animation slowly move the lower music section after you swipe it down. Also, around 15 seconds before the list of destinations appear once you tap the destinations button.
Is this what you're experiencing as well @2101Guy?

Ditto! Had HW3 installed with my MCU1. Love the FSD functionality (stop signs and lights,etc.) but now:
  • No voice commands - push the button, talk, spinner, then shows a list of example quotes, like I didn't speak
  • No summon - Won't do Smart summon or the more simple move forward or reverse. Starts up, but then says "lost connection" every time (both on WiFi and on cell). This is with an iPhone 11 Pro Max
  • Everything is REALLY slow and sluggish on the MCU. Like, wait 5 seconds for the backup camera to appear, or can watch the animation slowly move the lower music section after you swipe it down. Also, around 15 seconds before the list of destinations appear once you tap the destinations button.
Is this what you're experiencing as well @2101Guy?

you have literally described my life for the past 2 months or so/since I went FSD. Thought I was the only one whose Summon and Smart Summon went bad. If you try the summon or smart summon about 5 times in a row? 60% chance it might work. Might. Otherwise, I get that "lost connection" message 100% of the time on first try. Whether my phone/the car is connected to wifi or whether neither is on wifi. Same thing.

you have literally described my life for the past 2 months or so/since I went FSD. Thought I was the only one whose Summon and Smart Summon went bad. If you try the summon or smart summon about 5 times in a row? 60% chance it might work. Might. Otherwise, I get that "lost connection" message 100% of the time on first try. Whether my phone/the car is connected to wifi or whether neither is on wifi. Same thing.

@2101Guy, glad I can confirm that you're not alone! BTW, did you let Tesla know about the summon issue? If so, what did they say? With Covid around and spreading fast, I'm in no rush to fix anything not completely broken (car, house, etc.) until I and the family are vaccinated.

Reactions: DanInSunnyFL
I just drove my car over a month with failed MCU1.

Here's some my experiences:

When you first get into car, there's a one minute delay before it allows you to drive.

After that, it takes three minutes before direction indicators start working. But they do work after that! Was not really a problem, usually just first few corners without blinkers..

A/C and heater does work, but it is stuck to the setting it was when MCU died.

In Finland driving lights or DRL's are mandatory at all times. I had headlights set to "Auto" when MCU died. For some reason the DRL's didn't work anymore, but the headlights lighted when it was dark. I placed a sticker to the windshield where the light sensor is (near rear view mirror). This way car think that it's dark and headlights are lit all the time.
Are you sure that direction indicator didn’t work? I think it may just be that you don’t hear the (artificial?) clicking.

Any luck on getting them to approve what? Repairing the failed MCU/eMMC? People have been having "luck" with that for a very long time.

But the FAQ specifically calls out that it is not a pro-active replacement and they don't want you scheduling a service appointment unless you are experiencing a failed MCU.

This is correct...I called Tesla to get it done proactively....they won’t do it until ots dead...

Great news! It also helps me in deciding NOT to buy the extended warranty. For $4,500, the main reason to do it was for the touch screen. I'm sure other stuff can go, but now that the motors, battery, and touchscreen are all covered for 8 years, I'm feeling I'll come out ahead just keeping the $4,500. Thoughts?
Good point. I got the extended warranty back in 2015 just for the peace of mind. It does give me annual service and I did have the lift gate latch and struts fail. I was planning to wait a few years to request the MCU replacement. I’ve had it black out on me a number of times, but I don’t drive enough for it to be really serious yet.

@2101Guy, glad I can confirm that you're not alone! BTW, did you let Tesla know about the summon issue? If so, what did they say? With Covid around and spreading fast, I'm in no rush to fix anything not completely broken (car, house, etc.) until I and the family are vaccinated.

Multiple trips to the SC and a visit by the ranger. Here are just some of my notes:
- SC performed an “EMMC refresh”. SC Also performed “Correction: Software Recovery Media Control Unit Restore”.
- Per SC, diagnostics showed some sort of potential issue with something plugged into the USB port of the car. Only think plugged in was factory OEM Tesla wireless phone charger. Unplugged that. Zero improvement.
- SC Found Home Directory 67% full and SC cleared the directory
- Mobile ranger performed a complete full car reboot

My issues remain totally unresolved and my "ticket" remains open and is with the "senior level engineers in Fremont". I'm being patient as I can be and doing my best to work with, not against, Tesla at this time.

• Informative
Reactions: BrokerDon
I've taken my 2016 MX 90D (build date 11/16) with all eight cameras and HW3 computer and MCU1 to the service center for issues with the MCU freezing multiple times and being told that I needed to clear the navigation history. I've reported multiple issues with firmware updates not completing of having to be reinstalled multiple times before they would actually update and always told yeah that happens sometimes but it's normal for over the air updated. Several weeks ago I took my MX in because the charge port safety lock would not disengaged and allow me to charge. While my car was in the shop they gave me an older loaner to use while mine was being worked on. While in the loaner I noticed how quickly maps came up without tilling and going black during interstate interchanges, and also noticed how smoothly the voice command feature worked. So while my vehicle was in the shop I told them to look at the voice command and MCU unit. When I picked up my car they said everything was normal with the MCU and that the voice command was working as intended and that it is always improving so it should get better with time however the tech did flash it for me to reset it. Prior to leaving I tested the voice command and it would not recognize anything that I said so they took it back in and said they had to order some part that was working only intermittent. I got my car back and the voice command works maybe one fifth of the time I try to use it. After receiving the email regarding the warranty extension program I set up an appointment to determine if my firmware is up to date and to have the repairs done on my MCU. I received a call from a Tesla Ranger informing me that my firmware for my particular MX was up to date even though most cars are off version 2020.36.11. However he did tell me that he looked into the system and could clearly see that my vehicle is experiencing the MCU failure and scheduled me an in Service Center appointment to have the daughter board replaced. I really would like to upgrade to the MCU2 with the radio that allows me to keep my Sirius XM but I am choosing to spend my $2900 on the extended warranty at this time.

I've had a similar experience to others here. 2015 85D. Not interested in the MCU2 upgrade, as my car operates well, even though I have the same occasional sluggishness and non operational web browser as every other MCU1 owners, as well as some reboots.

When the daughterboard upgrade was first announced, I called the SC to proactively have it replaced, and was told that they aren't doing it proactively unless you want to pay for it. WIthin about a month, my IC screen developed the dreaded bubbling goo, and I had several additional reboots. Scheduled to get screen replaced, and daughterboard replaced. Received several requests for date / time of reboot. I know I have no basis to wonder about this, except as others have noted, if there is something in the logs that they are searching for, cant they just "search" for it? Generally when my reboots have happened I'm driving, and cant note the time and date. I did get one reboot date and time, which I reported to them via text.

When I picked up the car with the replaced IC screen, there was a note in my invoice that they had ordered the daughterboard and would replace. Not sure if it was my persistence or something they noted when they had the car in. My advice to others would be:

1. Don't try to get this done proactively if you aren't experiencing issues - they seem resource constrained and they likely want to push proactive replacement (or have you pay for them) due to lack of supply.

2. Give them as much info as you can, but be calmly persistent in asking for the issue to be resolved if you are having symptoms.

3. My car has been perfect for years - never experienced a screen or reboot issue, but went downhill pretty quickly in the number of reboots.

How you know when Tesla will cover your eMMC repair:

eMMC warning.png

Think these pictures and a detailed description will get me a new eMMC for my 2015 P85D+'s MCU1?

If your SC is anything like mine, you'll need a comprehensive database of exactly when and where the issue happened, what you and your extended family members and pets were doing at the time, and a list of 10 references that they will call and interrogate.

Then they'll ask if you've restarted it and tell you it "doesn't' meet the criteria for replacement."