Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Covering Some MCU1 Issues for Some Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, I'm about take my car in for the 3rd time. Both times, the SC wanted to know the exact date/times. This morning they texted me asking to know the exact behavior and date/time. I told them I uploaded a text file to the service request, I shouldnt have to do this! Not sure why they cant just search/grep for every time the MCU reboots, like look in the syslog for keywords or use the "last" command.

This was a PITA. What I did was look at my TeslaFi and just gave them dates/times I drove the car within the last 10 days.

So I wonder for those of us that got a replaced MCU with 8gb --- which is likely to die again... Will we get the daughterboard replacement via recall/courtesy to fix this future issue? My 8 year/100k mile warranty is going to be done in 7 months and my MCU was replaced 9/2019.

Will we get the daughterboard replacement via recall/courtesy to fix this future issue? My 8 year/100k mile warranty is going to be done in 7 months and my MCU was replaced 9/2019.

Only if it fails inside the extended warranty period. But they have made significant changes intended to make even the 8GB eMMC last much longer. (I would think yours would last until at least 2024, if not 2028 or longer.)

Only if it fails inside the extended warranty period. But they have made significant changes intended to make even the 8GB eMMC last much longer. (I would think yours would last until at least 2024, if not 2028 or longer.)

Looks like they are replacing my 8GB eMMC with the 64 GB one. I got a Tesla Service estimate about 30 minutes ago with the following part #:

MSX VCM TEGRA REV-B/C PROV (64 GB)-REMAN (2728212-S0-B)

So I wonder for those of us that got a replaced MCU with 8gb --- which is likely to die again... Will we get the daughterboard replacement via recall/courtesy to fix this future issue? My 8 year/100k mile warranty is going to be done in 7 months and my MCU was replaced 9/2019.
I got a complete MCU/screen replacement back in March. Does that mean I got another 8GB chip?

Regarding your concern, the replacement is warrantied for 4 years (they cut it to 2 years a few months ago, though, but it only applies to installs after that date). So, assuming you got it done when it was still a 4 year warranty, you should be good for another almost 3 years if it fails again.

I got a complete MCU/screen replacement back in March. Does that mean I got another 8GB chip?

From everything I have seen yes.

Regarding your concern, the replacement is warrantied for 4 years (they cut it to 2 years a few months ago, though, but it only applies to installs after that date). So, assuming you got it done when it was still a 4 year warranty, you should be good for another almost 3 years if it fails again.

It sounds like his was a warranty replacement, so it just keeps the original warranty. The parts warranty you quote only applies for parts you buy outside of warranty coverage.

• Informative
Reactions: hpartsch and Barry
Any luck on getting them to approve what? Repairing the failed MCU/eMMC? People have been having "luck" with that for a very long time.

But the FAQ specifically calls out that it is not a pro-active replacement and they don't want you scheduling a service appointment unless you are experiencing a failed MCU.
It's not enough that the car "experienced" it. As you can see from the thread Tesla techs search but cannot find these failures in the system logs. So they want you to document and notify them of the times it happens. Of course, the system isn't logging the failure so they still won't find anything so ...

I don't know about that. From my reading - that warranty only applies if you purchase the replacement - not for a warranty repair.

Reactions: Evoforce
Just take a picture or video of the screen whenever it fails (scrambled graphics, unresponsiveness, rebooting, etc). That way, you’ll be able to document any failure without much effort in your camera roll as long as you’re not driving. I included a couple of pictures with the service request and the time and date for each documented occasion. I probably got lucky but that worked for me and they replaced the daughterboard under warranty without any back and forth.

Got a reman MCU last October and it’s been glitching out for the last couple of months. It’s been in the shop twice. They reset it and refuse to do the daughterboard replacement (I’m still under an ESA).

very frustrating. Wife now openly mocks the unreliability of the Tesla.

Just your wife? I dont mind the unreliability, I do mind the fact that they deny ANY AND ALL warranty items and the attitude that once they sell you the car we could give a cr-p about you. The only reason they are responding on this is due to the NHTSA investigation

Well they apparently remote diagnosed that my MCU has no issues, canceled the appointment and suggested I “take out any USB drives and not plug any for a couple of weeks” claiming it’s “a software issue”. I had never gotten that one before (and never actually plugged an USB drive into the car).

I’m looking forward to the day they suggest I rotate my tires as a way to fix my MCU issues, because they are slowly running out of things to suggest after all this time.

Got a reman MCU last October and it’s been glitching out for the last couple of months. It’s been in the shop twice. They reset it and refuse to do the daughterboard replacement (I’m still under an ESA).

very frustrating. Wife now openly mocks the unreliability of the Tesla.

I don’t understand why some service centers are good about doing the replacement and others are not.

I don’t understand why some service centers are good about doing the replacement and others are not.
People do what they are incentivized to do ... I’m guessing someone is counting the numbers of MCU replacements or the days the cars sit in the shop waiting on not-stocked parts or ?... whatever it is, it sucks for the owners and it’s making me calculate my cost to unload the car now and be done with Tesla.

Reactions: Akikiki
People do what they are incentivized to do ... I’m guessing someone is counting the numbers of MCU replacements or the days the cars sit in the shop waiting on not-stocked parts or ?... whatever it is, it sucks for the owners and it’s making me calculate my cost to unload the car now and be done with Tesla.

Don't forget to calculate your cost to unload the wife, as well... ;)

You could just say you want the EMMC replaced and pay for it yourself. It isn’t “that” expensive.

I am also a MCU 1 owner. I don’t find that it sucks that much. I have the option to get the EMMC upgraded for $500 or upgrade the MCU to have it feel like a brand new car. Not a terrible situation. The warranty replacement was just icing that I didn’t expect. Yes it should be done due to number of failures but I didn’t know it was going to happen.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker