Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Crash in Indy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the journalist was intent on using "Rate" --- they should have used High Rate of Distance

So many journalists failed physics and / or calculus.

Also from the otherwise-good Associated Press article: "car was travelling at a high rate of speed". I'm seeing and hearing "rate of speed" more and more in the news. Why not just say "at a high speed"? Isn't speed already a rate? And isn't "rate of speed" really acceleration (which we can't conclude anything about here)? What am I missing?

Internationally there was one that caught fire in a garage in Toronto, the Norway fire, the guy in the Netherlands who plowed into a tree at 95mph and the fire in France earlier this year.
I know of the one in Toronto. I read the articles. There was a fire in a garage not long after the owner came home and plugged in his car. He blames the Tesla for catching fire. But nowhere have I read that it was proven to be the cause of the fire.

I know of the one in Toronto. I read the articles. There was a fire in a garage not long after the owner came home and plugged in his car. He blames the Tesla for catching fire. But nowhere have I read that it was proven to be the cause of the fire.

The synopsis I read said the exact cause of that fire was never determined exactly, though there was some evidence the wall unit was the source of the fire rather than the car itself. It may have been in the wiring. It's still a fire related to a Tesla.

Apparently three Fiskars and a Prius caught fire when a lot full of evacuated cars in New Jersey during Sandy got flooded. It appears bad things happen when Fiskars get wet. Other Priuses flooded too and they didn't catch on fire.

The synopsis I read said the exact cause of that fire was never determined exactly, though there was some evidence the wall unit was the source of the fire rather than the car itself. It may have been in the wiring. It's still a fire related to a Tesla.

Apparently three Fiskars and a Prius caught fire when a lot full of evacuated cars in New Jersey during Sandy got flooded. It appears bad things happen when Fiskars get wet. Other Priuses flooded too and they didn't catch on fire.
The Prius doesn't use a lithium battery.

Reactions: Archduke
The Prius doesn't use a lithium battery.

True, they still have battery packs though. NiMH batteries can short out too, though thermal runaway is more of an issue with Li-ion batteries.

BTW, I was showing my SO a video of the crash and the picture of the wheel shows red brake calipers, so the car was likely some sort of performance model.

True, they still have battery packs though. NiMH batteries can short out too, though thermal runaway is more of an issue with Li-ion batteries.

BTW, I was showing my SO a video of the crash and the picture of the wheel shows red brake calipers, so the car was likely some sort of performance model.
Being that he was a 44yr old male CEO... I'd bet anything it was a performance model.

Why are Tesla accidents even news worthy? I never ever see articles plastering the web saying Fatal Accident in XYZ Brand.

Condolences to the family of the victims. I think the coverage is good for new tech. It might be exaggerated , but it's important to learn from these accidents and improve. Over a period of time the dramatization will tone down. We are still in early adoption phase.