Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla creates demonstration video for Sentry Mode using Cookie Monster from Sesame Street

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm, isn't that known outside the Tesla bubble as a "car alarm".

It is. However, this "car alarm" will:
  • Warn people off as they approach the vehicle (before they've ever touched it).
  • Record video of the front and sides of the vehicle.
  • Alert the owner of the vehicle via a push alert to the App on their smart phone.
Furthermore, false positive car alarms (honking horns) go off so often in some areas that people don't even bother looking to see what's going on. This "car alarm" uses VERY LOUD music which still has a tendency to attract attention (especially if the vehicle door or window is open).

How many of those things does your1998 Honda Accord do?

How many of those things does your1998 Honda Accord do?

Well, the Honda can't record the video of the thief stealing your laptop from the trunk or play music.

However, the Honda will prevent the thief from getting into the trunk in the first place...

maxresdefault.jpg

Accord's have a keylock on the fold down rear seats. Something Tesla should have thought of?

Would you rather have your laptop or the video of it being stolen?

Well, the Honda can't record the video of the thief stealing your laptop from the trunk or play music.

However, the Honda will prevent the thief from getting into the trunk in the first place...

maxresdefault.jpg

Accord's have a keylock on the fold down rear seats. Something Tesla should have thought of?

Would you rather have your laptop or the video of it being stolen?
Tesla has a frunk that the thief can't get to.

• Funny
Reactions: Vines and MP3Mike
Last edited:
This is much more difficult than picking the lock to the Accord. If someone is willing to go through the trouble they can have the junk in my frunk.

I have to respectfully disagree. Have you tried picking a car lock lately?

Unless you're a master lock picker; popping off a cover and applying a 9v battery to two contacts or pulling two straps seems quite a bit easier...

(and your video example still doesn't get you inside the trunk of the Honda)

Last edited:
Most cars have a trunk latch on the driver's side, so once you're inside the cabin, it's easy to pull the latch and pop the trunk... I'm pretty sure the Accord has that as well. But I agree, that video did not look easier than simply popping a small circle, pulling the 2 cables and applying a 9 volt battery to it.

I have to respectfully disagree. Have you tried picking a car lock lately?

Unless you're a master lock picker; popping off a cover and applying a 9v battery to two contacts or pulling two straps seems quite a bit easier...

(and your video example still doesn't get you inside the trunk of the Honda)
You mentioned the 1998 Honda Accord. That was one of the easiest cars to break into.

Most cars have a trunk latch on the driver's side, so once you're inside the cabin, it's easy to pull the latch and pop the trunk...

Honda thought of that too... trunk release keylock.

hqdefault.jpg

I'm not saying Sentry mode is a bad idea, and it is awesome that Tesla can push out new features like this through software... However, I am saying it is an afterthought to address design vulnerabilities that could have been more properly engineered; i.e. a simple solenoid pin that engages the rear seat latch when locked.

Last edited:
Reactions: aronth5