Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video Demo: Opening The Model 3 Frunk Using Jumper Cables

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard that going around, too. Not sure where it originated.
I think that was based on an interpretation of a statement in the owner's manual. It appears that, rather than having this technique work ONLY when the 12v is dead, they only meant to say that this technique can be used when the 12v is dead (i.e., there's nothing preventing it from also working when the battery is still good). So, as with the S and X, the frunk is not a secure storage space on the Model 3 either.

I think that was based on an interpretation of a statement in the owner's manual. It appears that, rather than having this technique work ONLY when the 12v is dead, they only meant to say that this technique can be used when the 12v is dead (i.e., there's nothing preventing it from also working when the battery is still good). So, as with the S and X, the frunk is not a secure storage space on the Model 3 either.

Correct. The purpose of the video is to both demo the process of where to press (since it's fragile) as well as remind people that the frunk shouldn't be considered 100% secure for valuables. (Quite honestly, nowhere in the vehicle should be considered 100% secure, but if people thought the frunk couldn't be opened, they might get a false sense of security.)

• Disagree
Reactions: KentheJ
I've seen a couple claims that it was easy to accidentally break the access cover for that. What did you think looking at it and interacting with it? Maybe someone was attempting to open pushing in the wrong spot, or do those clips look kinda fragile?

I've seen a couple claims that it was easy to accidentally break the access cover for that. What did you think looking at it and interacting with it? Maybe someone was attempting to open pushing in the wrong spot, or do those clips look kinda fragile?

My impression is that, if you push in the top-right and then pull away gently and outward knowing the two tabs are in the bottom left, you shouldn’t have a problem. If you push then pivot, like a door, I can see the two plastic tabs snapping.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
I was pointed to the Emergency Response Guide where I see, on page 28:

"NOTE: The following steps will not open the front trunk if Model 3 has 12 volt power enabled."

Either the manual is wrong or the ability to open the frunk while 12V is active is not the expected result. Because of this, I've reported the behavior to Tesla.

I agree this is a security risk that could be prevented if the technique worked as stated in the manual (only in event of 12V failure). Maybe for safety reasons they have allowed the technique to work when the 12V is still active? For example, in a crash that disables the touchscreen (or it is inaccessible), first responders would need to get into the frunk to cut the first responder loop cable that
shuts down the high voltage system outside of the high voltage battery and disables the SRS and airbag components.

Page 28 of the first responders guide mentions the same procedure for opening the frunk (including the apparently false statement that:
"The following steps will not open the front trunk if Model 3 has 12 volt power enabled."
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/2017_Model_3_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf

Of course a hydraulic tool could easily force open the frunk if needed and there is a secondary rear pillar first responder cut loop also if the one in the frunk is inaccessible. Regardless, Tesla should probably correct the manual to reflect what the OP has seen or revert to the process as stated in the manual.

Either the manual is wrong or the ability to open the frunk while 12V is active is not the expected result. Because of this, I've reported the behavior to Tesla.
Thanks for the video and for reporting this discrepancy to Tesla. This may be similar to another report where it was discovered that valet mode did not prevent the glovebox from being opened. Either the behavior needs to be corrected to match the documentation or vice versa.

Reactions: MarkS22
I wanted to update that I filmed this again to make sure this result didn't happen because my phone was in range (despite being inside on the other side of the home). I also tested that the doors were locked and the charging cable would not release. In the same shot, I'm then able to repeat the process and the frunk opens. I then go back and verify the door is still locked and the charging cable won't release.

• Informative
Reactions: JoaoD
Thanks for the video and for reporting this discrepancy to Tesla. This may be similar to another report where it was discovered that valet mode did not prevent the glovebox from being opened. Either the behavior needs to be corrected to match the documentation or vice versa.

That's my goal here. Both to inform owners (and future owners) and provide Tesla with information they can use to clarify or correct. I obviously can't speak for Tesla as to the functionality they are looking for here.

@MarkS22 thanks for reporting it. Can anyone else test this to see if it's a general problem?
The manual says that it should only work when the 12v is not enabled, which would make the frunk more secure than the X and the S. If that is not the case then it's even less secure since the alarm did not sound.

Reactions: PoitNarf
I tested this on my Model Y today. 12V battery is fine. When the car is locked, 12V to the jumpier leads does NOT open the frunk. I did turn off Bluetooth on my iPhone for this test. When the car is unlocked, 12v to the jumpers does open the frunk. This is exactly what the owner's manual says it will do. I assume the jumper thing will work if the 12V battery is dead, as that is what the jumpers are for.

Mine is a 2021 Model Y, LR, Software version 2021.4.48.

SW