Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cuts 60kWh Model S, entry-level Model S is now 70D.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the 3.1 0-60 time listed on the P85D order page something new? I know that Musk tweeted that there would be an improvement in 0-60 times...but does this mean Tesla is just updating its order page to reflect reality or is the P85D getting some upgrade to shave the .1 off the time?

Tech Package gone, but several of the features migrated into the now more expensive Premium Package (that seems to be a mix of tech and the former upgraded interior). For powered lift gate, fog and cornering lights you now need the $5k Premium Package... even the lighted door handles are now only available with the
I think all the latest changes are great except that to get the powered lift gate, lighted door handles, fog and cornering lights you have to spend another $5K which also gets you things many won't want. And the description of the Premium Package needs to be more specific and detailed. That's a lot of money for what is described. What else is included? It's unclear.

I am also somewhat disappointed that the base model price has increased even though it does include Dual Motors. Why not make a single motor 70? Since the 85 is still available as single motor why not the 70? In the Model S it would still have over 200 mile EPA range (I'm speculating but that seems almost certain) and of course the X is only Dual Motor so there is going to be an X 70D anyway.

But on balance the latest changes make sense.

It is a bit confusing that the Design Studio page defaults to showing only Dual Motor models. At first I missed the fact that the 85 was still available in RWD.

Here is what I think is going on: Production is battery constrained and the ever falling share of S 60s created ever more cell volume per car made. By making the entry level car much more attractive Tesla can get more buyers into the "small" battery and thus up production without using so many cells. If they double the share of 70 compared to what 60 used to be, they will use proportionately fewer cells overall. At 72.5 kWh it would have been a wash at double share.

I don't think this is it, as the 60kwh battery was using a different cell with different chemistry than the 85kwh. falling share of the 60kwh version would have had no effect on the supply of batteries for the 85kwh (at least to my very limited understanding of the matter).
I think they are bringing out and testing a new cell chemistry.

Except bonnie isn't a mod anymore... she was actually gloating that the other mods had so much work this morning :)

All mods may feel addressed :tongue:

model S 70D??

I came across this on the Tesla website a minute ago.
Is this a new 70KW tesla?

s70d.jpg

My biggest complaint about the revised Design Studio page is that the most prominently featured price by default is "After incentives & gas savings". That is deceptive. Of course an EV provides "gas savings" but buyers want to know the cash price of the vehicle they are considering. It's only shown at the bottom of the pricing box on the right, far below the most prominently featured price in that box. And the prices shown in the three boxes outlining the features of the three different variations are also the "After incentives & gas savings" prices.

That really irks me. I thought Tesla had moved past that sort of deceptive promotion.

I'll speculate (as I did in the Investor's area):

The S70D uses a new battery chemistry with higher energy density, so the battery pack has the same dimensions and similar weight as the 60.

Once the supply of these new battery cells is sufficient, the 85 kWh pack will be replaced by a 85*70/60=100 kWh pack. Same enclosure, similar weight as the 85.

I can't wait to see what the performance times of a S100D will be....

That's exactly the first thing that I thought this morning. Actually the P100D in that config could probably do 2.8s (pure speculation)

I don't think this is it, as the 60kwh battery was using a different cell with different chemistry than the 85kwh. falling share of the 60kwh version would have had no effect on the supply of batteries for the 85kwh (at least to my very limited understanding of the matter).
I think they are bringing out and testing a new cell chemistry.
All mods may feel addressed :tongue:

You write that the 60 has a different cell? Interesting. Source?

I think all the latest changes are great except that to get the powered lift gate, lighted door handles, fog and cornering lights you have to spend another $5K which also gets you things many won't want. And the description of the Premium Package needs to be more specific and detailed. That's a lot of money for what is described. What else is included? It's unclear.

the $5k premium package is the silliest option and a complete waste of money. I don't know why they did this other than to have an option with a 99% profit margin for silly things that should be standard.

That's exactly the first thing that I thought this morning. Actually the P100D in that config could probably do 2.8s (pure speculation)

When the giga factory is up, yes. For now, every chance of using fewer cells will be used to improve the margins to save up money for the gigafactory. So 85 will be max (unless demand goes down too much to fill production capacity)