Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cuts 60kWh Model S, entry-level Model S is now 70D.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not too surprised... Ever since the Model X went to dual motors standard, I suspected the same might become true on Model S. I have theorized for some time that the Model S 60 would go away prior to the release of Model ≡, which I believe will debut with at least a 60 kWh capacity. And after the stupendous improvements in performance, safety, and range since the Tesla 'D' Event, I've noted there is a chance that like AUDI and Subaru, Tesla Motors might some day become synonymous with performance AWD. There is still the outside chance that as a competitor to BMW 3-Series, and with concerns toward affordability, the Model ≡ may be offered, at least in base trim, as RWD... But I'd not be surprised if dual motor AWD became standard issue for every Tesla product going forward. Oh, and I also predicted that Supercharger access would be standard on all Tesla vehicles once the Model S 60 was gone -- and now it is. Doncha just love it when a plan comes together?

;-)

I'm not too surprised... Ever since the Model X went to dual motors standard, I suspected the same might become true on Model S. I have theorized for some time that the Model S 60 would go away prior to the release of Model ≡, which I believe will debut with at least a 60 kWh capacity. And after the stupendous improvements in performance, safety, and range since the Tesla 'D' Event, I've noted there is a chance that like AUDI and Subaru, Tesla Motors might some day become synonymous with performance AWD. There is still the outside chance that as a competitor to BMW 3-Series, and with concerns toward affordability, the Model ≡ may be offered, at least in base trim, as RWD... But I'd not be surprised if dual motor AWD became standard issue for every Tesla product going forward. Oh, and I also predicted that Supercharger access would be standard on all Tesla vehicles once the Model S 60 was gone -- and now it is. Doncha just love it when a plan comes together?

;-)
Why is the Model 3 written as Model ≡ and the 3-Series written with a 3 instead of a ≡?

Either way exciting move by Tesla.

My biggest complaint about the revised Design Studio page is that the most prominently featured price by default is "After incentives & gas savings". That is deceptive. Of course an EV provides "gas savings" but buyers want to know the cash price of the vehicle they are considering. It's only shown at the bottom of the pricing box on the right, far below the most prominently featured price in that box. And the prices shown in the three boxes outlining the features of the three different variations are also the "After incentives & gas savings" prices.

That really irks me. I thought Tesla had moved past that sort of deceptive promotion.
Pricing like this boils my blood.

You are right. There is so much advantage of AWD on EV than on ICE in simplicity of implementation and easiness of performance and efficiency tuning Tesla might as well take full advantage of it.
Thanks. The only real casualty: The FRUNK. Unless Tesla Motors decides to build cars with the profile of Lincoln, Cadillac, Chrysler, Mercedes-Benz , and Rolls-Royce limousines of lore...

Thanks. The only real casualty: The FRUNK. Unless Tesla Motors decides to build cars with the profile of Lincoln, Cadillac, Chrysler, Mercedes-Benz , and Rolls-Royce limousines of lore...

For me, that's a pretty big casualty. When I bought my car, one of its key attractions was that I could carry 7 people + a stroller in the frunk--that's why I could justify it over a big 3 row SUV.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy an AWD Tesla, but it's a harder sell in my mind if you take away one of the platform's key advantages, which is spectacular space efficiency. With a motor in the front and a motor in the back, the Tesla doesn't offer that much more space than a "traditional" AWD ICE vehicle.