Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cutting costs and refusing to repair paint damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I've posted in other threads, I have the protectmytesla.com carbon fiber mudguards and they're fine. Cost a little more now than when I bought them. They protect against alot of road debris, but not all. They're equivalent in size and shape to the California model mudguards by antirouille Bolduc. He has three versions and the California is the smallest. The other two are for more severe conditions like you might face in Quebec or Finland, etc. Boutique - Antirouille Bolduc Of course, Bolduc's mudguards are rubber, I believe. Also, if you have AWD, you're going to get more debris thrown up by the front wheels, than if you just have RWD.

If you want to go the PPF route, you can DIY the rockers, and the lower part of the doors. Also the area behind the rear wheels. That can cost $200+ at 2018-2019 Tesla Model 3 3M Pro Series Clear Bra Rocker Panels Paint Protection Kit

I've done the hood, fenders, rockers, doors, mirrors from pre-cut PPF kits at InvisibleMask - Paint Protection For Your Car

• Informative
Reactions: Matt L
I just talked to a coworker that picked up his model 3 last week. Delivery agent promised that fisheye in paint would be addressed and resolved by service center after delivery. So he scheduled an appointment and was contacted this morning by a repair technician that said certain paint issues are no longer repaired by Tesla and are within specifications. Has anyone else experienced this as well?

Your coworker can choose to return the car within one week.

Reactions: 1 person
Here is my perspective. I’ve owned 2 Model S, I own a Model 3 and just bought a 2015 Model S. I have family in the automotive industry and know it well. I can confirm Tesla customer service and addressing issues—outside of recalls—is terrible—or at least has gone down hill since my first purchase in 2015.

I’ve also owned Mercedes, BMWs, Fords, Chevy Subaru’s etc. rarely did I ever not find SOME minor paint issue. I will confirm BMW and Mercedes did fix them. I was told once by a Ford body shop that my $40k FOrd SHO must have been a “Friday” car because the front fenders were so misaligned, it was sad. They corrected it along with paint issues. All this from Ford—the master of US car manufacturers. I’ve had one of my Model S s undergo serious paint correction from highway paint splatter. And I can confirm that the clear coat cut off and what was left was no different than any other car. Maybe they are cheapo on the Model 3 but side by side it does not seem so. It seems the paint in wheel issue may be valid.

I am not defending Tesla’s course of actions with the Model 3. I’ve experienced other issues that infuriate me. But I do think the paint issue is being massively over hyped. I did my own paint machine polish and sealant on the Model 3. It had some flaws but with moderate effort on my part, the paint looks awesome. That’s just reality. Again, not presents as a defense, at all. But I do forget about it with I punish a Ford Mustang owner, and his arrogance for trying to run with me.

Reactions: Scott7 and Sherlo
I do think the paint issue is being massively over hyped.

Yeah, I often hear things about how they purchased a $60k car and that means the paint should be flawless. That’s nonsense.

Everyone likes to pick their one thing and then compare it to other cars. How many things does the M3 have that all those other $60k cars don’t have? Tech? Performance? EV? Nope...forget about all them. Let’s focus on the paint!

Their financials are out there. You want a Tesla built like a BMW with Lexus service? You aren’t getting it for less than $100k. Sorry.

Reactions: ord3r and Sherlo
Yeah, I often hear things about how they purchased a $60k car and that means the paint should be flawless. That’s nonsense.

Everyone likes to pick their one thing and then compare it to other cars. How many things does the M3 have that all those other $60k cars don’t have? Tech? Performance? EV? Nope...forget about all them. Let’s focus on the paint!

Their financials are out there. You want a Tesla built like a BMW with Lexus service? You aren’t getting it for less than $100k. Sorry.

If $100k is the true price for BMW build quality and Lexus service in a Tesla Model 3, then Tesla will not be competitive in the $40k-$60k segment at all. Maybe that's why Tesla sales is not ramping that well lately.

So Tesla customers(at least new ones) are not deterred by lack of build quality and subpar service then, and/or the price drops normalize their expectations accordingly.
A few people posting on the internet doesn’t make any of that fact. I bet similar complaints are made in every car forum.

How exactly is a price drop something to complain about? Do you think you ever got the best price on any car you have ever purchased? You didn’t.

That doesn’t mean you didn’t get what you paid for.

A few people posting on the internet doesn’t make any of that fact. I bet similar complaints are made in every car forum.

How exactly is a price drop something to complain about? Do you think you ever got the best price on any car you have ever purchased? You didn’t.

That doesn’t mean you didn’t get what you paid for.
It’s not just a few people posting on the internet. Consumer reports has pulled their recommendation due to fit and finish. I think fit and finish is a legitimate issue for Tesla.

Reactions: Johnii__82
I will note that I had my paint issues fixed on 2 separate occasions since they had my car for 3 weeks the first time and I got it back early so I did not have a rental for a month while I was out of town.

My issues were pretty severe than just a blemish. My car had a window broken during shipping and the glass shards scratched the drivers door to the body in white and they had to take the door off to repaint it. There were some other blemishes that were also fixed, but the main issue was deep small scratches. It definitely sounds like things have changed, but rental cars for 3 weeks also eats their bottom line massively. The 2nd time was to finish a few things that did not get completed and they gave me a Model S loaner. It still sounds like these are issues they need to address, and hopefully it is temporary while they reign in out of pocket costs. Scratches during shipping I think got charged to a different line item than manufacturing mistakes.

Took me 3 months to have all my paint defects corrected.... there were A LOT... I'm talking hundreds.... but once corrected it looks fantastic! It was documented and added to due bill at time of delivery. I added PPF to the rear bumper (in addition to the full frontal) in place of doing a splash guard, makes clean up super easy.

Took me 3 months to have all my paint defects corrected.... there were A LOT... I'm talking hundreds.... but once corrected it looks fantastic! It was documented and added to due bill at time of delivery. I added PPF to the rear bumper (in addition to the full frontal) in place of doing a splash guard, makes clean up super easy.

If you have any reason to come to Oregon during the winter, I would urge you to get PPF along the lower half of the body of your 3. I have a 3 Performance as well, it has a little over 12,500 miles on it and the rocks Oregon uses on the roads will damage the paint.

Tesla Rock Chips.Smaller.png