Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cybrtrk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to note: Tesla do not want to make a lot of these, or take a huge market-share. They have enough on their plate creating the Model 3 Shanghai Edition, Model Y, the Semi etc and building out their production capabilities for batteries, energy markets and the like.

This is a fun Halo vehicle, working on some new underpinnings, that can provide a lot of free publicity and is probably very much Elon's pet project.

I'm interested in the exo-skeleton design and what that could mean for Tesla going forwards especially in relation to that patent for the all-in-one body casting machine. Are we going to see more one-piece bodies with batteries and interior just slotted in. It could turn manufacturing speed, simplicity and thus profitability up to 11.

The only sense in which it was a "fun" project was the styling. A Tesla pick-up is very much a serious project because there's a lot of potential value in it, and because the utility requirements push engineering. If Tesla can build a good electric pick-up, they should be able to build a better car.

Musk had already qualified that if people didn't like the look, they'd build one with a more conventional look. But underlying the look was a message that an electric pick-up _shouldn't_ look like an ICE pick-up because without a large engine there's no reason for the boxy front. So even a conventional Tesla pick-up wouldn't be conventional.

The glass breaking was a PR disaster. It also affects their other vehicles. They'll have to work hard to recover from it.

Reactions: KJD
That sound you're hearing is sighs of relief from Ford World Headquarters.
Robin
Welcome_to_Dearborn_sign_600x600.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Lasairfion
67524EAD-3DDA-4669-8FDE-AE816DF57643.jpeg
i dont know...hummers were way outside the box, this looks like a cross between a baja and a hummer...

And how’d the hummer thing work out? And - I had one - restored an old military rig.

I still don’t like the Cybertruck. Won’t buy one. Not if it looks like the thing that rolled across the stage. From many of the posts I’m reading - it sounds like people that put deposits down want to like it - and are trying to convince thenselves and others that they do like it.

My bet is it never goes to production - as presented.

If the Cybertruck has a structural exoskeleton, what’s going to happen to the occupants in a crash? No crumple zones?

View attachment 479994

And how’d the hummer thing work out? And - I had one - restored an old military rig.

I still don’t like the Cybertruck. Won’t buy one. Not if it looks like the thing that rolled across the stage. From many of the posts I’m reading - it sounds like people that put deposits down want to like it - and are trying to convince thenselves and others that they do like it.

My bet is it never goes to production - as presented.

If the Cybertruck has a structural exoskeleton, what’s going to happen to the occupants in a crash? No crumple zones?
To each their own my friend....i put down my deposit and couldnt be more excited.....and really, i could care less what others think.

What I do know is I will be getting 500 miles on a full charge and one of the fastest vehicles on the road.

It was funny to watch Elon, witnessing his promise getting shattered. :D
They should have at least tried throwing the sphere in private, before throwing it in front of audience.

It sounds like they did lots of testing on the glass, but didn't ever test it fitted into the vehicle. There's an old story about how aeroplanes originally had square windows but the stress on the corners due to flexing in the aluminium airframe led to cracking the glass hence why they're now rounded. I do wonder if some similar issue is happening here where the glass isn't able to flex as much once fitted into those angular frames. Who knows though. It's Tesla: they'll iterate it 'til it works.

You're very right though. That's one test they ought to have tried backstage. I've agreed with a few posts and comments around various places that whomever does their reveals/presentations/events needs replacing with someone better.

Funny reading these responses defending the design. One of (not only) the groundbreaking tenants of the S was proving that an EV could be made that didn’t look Fugly. This seems like a step in the wrong direction there.

Yup. I hadn't thought of that but you're absolutely correct. I'm still in shock about what a debacle this is. I expected something like when the Honda Ridgeline first came out, just far better and cooler and edgier. Instead we get whatever the eff this thing is.

Post #1
Bolt owner here. I put down a deposit on the 4WD version. Ideally, I would like more range and don't need 2.9 0-60 so perhaps there will be a bigger battery option on the 4WD.
I like the styling, no need for a EV to look like an ICE. Reminds me of an F-117 Stealth fighter.
As far as the SS (stainless steel) body, I see many benefits and a couple of downsides - SS stains and salt promotes corrosion of SS. Wonder if they could do a blackened finish like appliances have.
Also, realize that this is a BIG truck - just as big as my Silverado double cab long bed. No problem where I live because the parking lots are vast and spaces large, SOCAL? Not so much fun there.

I ordered one in the hopes that they do tweak the design. The specs are absolutely there...and I think moving away from the mainstream is a good idea if that provides functionality. However, I think the current design (after only 12 hrs to get used to it) is a bit too polarizing. I do think they can work with the majority of the design elements, they just need to tweak certain aspects to make it more widely appealing.

However, the fact is, if the specs and price remain as they are...I will most likely follow through with the purchase. It ticks all the boxes I want in a truck.

Reactions: mongo
I don't know why but the more I look at it the more I like it. I absolutely love the brutal look and exactly zero curved surfaces and I love that it looks nothing like anything currently on the road.

Current auto manufacturers hardcoded in people's minds how a car/truck "should" look like. That's why so many are blindly jumping in calling it ugly. It's not even their fault anymore.

I'm really happy Tesla stepped way out of the box with this release. His point at the beginning is spot on. Every car/truck in the past few decades basically look the same with small changes in each new generation. I hope they'll have enough buyers to make the truck as shown and not end up bullied by the closed minded public stuck in the past.

Last edited: