Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla DashCam on V9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a 64 Gb Stick formatted in Fat32 and A Folder inside called TeslaCam. I do see footage which is being recorded from the camera.

My Question is seems like it is only keeping some minutes of footage and then start re-writing ? is that normal I thought it would record until the whole 64gb in my case is full and then start re-writing over the files.

Becuase if it is only going to keep say like 30 mins or what ever the case is then I guess we can just get away with even 8gb of usb or something.

It stores in 1 minute increments for 1 hr before it loops.

If you tap the camera Icon it will combine the last 10 min of files into one file.

That's my understanding. Anyone feel free to correct me.

Ah, Okay Because recently I took the drive from SF TO LA and there was a great low plane fly by I thought I would pull the footage later however It was gone. For some reason I thought that it would not overwrite or keep writing until the whole 64gb was full. Anyhow Thank you for the clarification.

Also I see a lot of folks having large capacity drives and am curious on why more than 32 gb? FAT32 cant address more than that in any case, so getting anything bigger just seems a waste of money. Or am I missing something?

Also I see a lot of folks having large capacity drives and am curious on why more than 32 gb? FAT32 cant address more than that in any case, so getting anything bigger just seems a waste of money. Or am I missing something?
So you can hit the save button many many times.

That and ppl don’t know that it only saves 1 hour before over writing. Just like the Original Poster didn’t know.

I’ve tried 4GB and a 16GB. 16 is more than enough already.

FAT32 can address much more than 32GB.

Windows won't let you format it that way by default, but tons of other things will and it works fine.

That said, 1 hour of dashcam is 1.8GB- so huge drives don't make any sense here.

Is there a way to keep many hours of V9 Dashcam video on one USB drive? What if you rename the folder and create a new empty "TeslaCam" folder every hour? Could you keep starting over and fill a large USB with successive folders each with an hour of video?

Or would tapping the camera Icon every 10 minutes accomplish the same thing - or does that 10 minutes eventually erase??

Is there a better way to post this across multiple model forums (S-X-3) than posting separately on each forum?

Is there a way to keep many hours of V9 Dashcam video on one USB drive? What if you rename the folder and create a new empty "TeslaCam" folder every hour? Could you keep starting over and fill a large USB with successive folders each with an hour of video?

Sure, if you want to either a) root your car and somehow code a way to change the way it interacts with the flash drive to do what you describe or b) manually unplug the flash drive every hour and plug it into a laptop to save the files elsewhere on the drive. Either way, both are completely unrealistic "solutions".

Or would tapping the camera Icon every 10 minutes accomplish the same thing - or does that 10 minutes eventually erase??

Yes, this would do what you want to accomplish, but are you really going to do this? If you're that determined to have a lengthy dash cam video you're much better off buying a real dash cam and installing it in your Tesla. The built-in dash cam capability is purely designed for you to be able to save small video clips of road events you want to document, not hours upon hours of regular driving with nothing of note to record.

Is there a better way to post this across multiple model forums (S-X-3) than posting separately on each forum?

Not that I'm aware of.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
View on screen - not that I have found yet

Anyone have poor color and clarity day or night? Mine is horrible, yellowish, muddy rendering look and not crisp like some videos I have seen. 17ms w mcu1 and 2.0 32gb SanDisk

I have a 32gb Samsung usb that came already FAT32 formatted, my night time scenes show certain lights (taillights, billboards, signal lights) would flicker. It seems not to matter whether they are LED or incandescent lights. All lights seems to have a starburst appearance, not sharp. Figured it was due to the camera, nothing for me to do.

I too have been busy playing with trying to make the feature both easier to use and to avoid the corrupt files. Below are links to the items I purchased from Amazon and I used in my setup. As an aside, I tested several memory sticks and a USB hard drive. All worked but all could receive corrupted files, even when shutting down by keeping the icon pressed until it blinks. My major objective was to have a way to extract the files without having to unplug a device. That sounds easy until you discover that none of the devices (that I have been able to find) will provide communications either via WiFi or cable when plugged in to a socket. The USB memory sticks that have the ability to connect to an iPhone via a short cable with a lightning connector or via WiFi will not provide the alternate data path when plugged into the USB port. There doesn't appear to be any way to share the storage via two interfaces. (Maybe one of you know of a USB storage medium that could be plugged into the Tesla USB port and be accessed from another port concurrently, if so that would be great.) My solution requires a total of 4 pieces of hardware.
1. A USB memory device (SD Card with reader, Memory stick, or USB hard drive (non SSD as they draw too much power, must be low power)
2. A 3 port USB hub to share the Tesla USB port
3. A 2 port splitter that will let you switch between USB sources
4. A RAVPower WiFi hub.

I am including pictures of my setup and a sketch of how to wire it up. What is accomplished is the ability to switch the storage device between the Tesla and the WiFi hub using the switches on top of the hub. Then using their software app (IOS and Android) you can connect to the storage via WiFi and upload the files to your phone or to cloud storage if you set up with Internet access. You can also via them on your phone or tablet. You never have to unplug the storage device to use it in the car or on the phone unless you corrupt it so bad that it must be repaired. The hub has a rechargeable Li battery and can run for about 5 hours on its own power but I just used the charger cord that comes with it and plugged it into the USB hub to get power from the Tesla.
IMG_0187.jpg
IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_0186.jpg