Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla decided to re-route to a supercharger mid-drive when I didn't want it too!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was on a long drive, at home, in the dark, in the rain - heading home at midnight.
I could see the % range expected dropping from 10%. When it hit 5% the car said "rerouting to supercharge", "pre-conditioning battery for supercharging".
I did NOT want the car to do this!! I am intelligent enough to know I can drop my speed from 65 to 55 if the % dropped too low and get home without wasting time detouring, charging, etc. In the UK there's not 100s of superchargers - I did not know where the car was re-routing me too, nor did I want it too. I had done a 75% charge for a trip that in the other direction had cost 58%.
There HAS to be a user confirmation before the car re-routes you to a supercharger! Tesla need to fix this. Maybe a on-screen popup / menu setting for "Battery Low. re-route to supercharger, Yes/No with say a 3minute count-down so user can think about it in their own time - particularly if they're concentrating on driving". Only if not pressed would it re-route to a supercharger. And before doing anything it should say "stay below 60 to increase efficiency". It used to say that when putting in one close to the range.
While driving down the motorway in the rain and dark I had to click "End trip", then re-enter "Home", wait for the "routing for supercharger" then click "remove supercharging stops"! 3 button presses to reset it, and of course the whole "trip" was reset. This is ridiculous!
I did not want to be detoured miles off the motorway, did not want to be stopping to charge vs the alternative of slowing down slightly to make it on the charge. I can charge at home on 7.5p overnight electric not 55p Supercharger priced electric! But it's not just about cost. Imagine I was a lone female passenger not wanting to stop at a supercharger at midnight! The car should never be re-routing you like this without user confirmation!
Of course I made it home with 5% battery!

and I had to quickly cancel as I was not sure "after" the "rerouting" message if the route it was now sending me on was the way home, or the way to the supercharger. And there was 1 supercharger I did know about around mile 100 of 125 that was 2 miles off my route - but I did not know the supercharger it was even going to be sending me to - so another reason why I don't want the car making the decision before I confirm!
Only somebody completely ignorant of the route and not aware slowing to say 50 would massively increase range would want the car to decide to supercharge. ie. I know the Model S range record was set in a car doing 22mph on a circular track!

Interesting issue.

I like the fact that the car estimates that, while driving, for your current given SoC (State of Charge),
there will be no possibility to reach a Supercharger, from your destination back to a supercharger.

This could be very usefull for a new driver, like someone renting a car, otherwise the driver
will be stranded while between the current destination location and the nearest supercharger.
- For example after spending the night in an hotel and the next day trying to continue the journey.

Otherwise, I would like to inform the Navigation that I plan to charge at the final destination.

So no need to re-routing to a Supercharger and pre-conditioning.
- May be there could be an aditional default setting for Home or Work.
- And for a more general case, i.e. going to an hotel with a L2 charger,
this could be added to the navigation itinerary.

It would be absolutly great to have a special warning visulation:
- like a warning Pop-up window when the car reaches below 15% or 20%.
- and may be an amber background behind the car display.

You could then have the option of cliking an 'Ignore' button,
or instead, have an 'Yes, please Help me' button.

Note: I recently been in a low State of Charge situation but I was not using the Navigation!!!
So I was only doing some errand shopping on weekend and suddenly my passenger noticed that I was at 15% SoC.
I immediatly turned the navigation and there was a supercharger nearby but I would arrive with only 5% left.
Honestly, I whish there would have been some king of warning before reaching the 15% Soc.

Reactions: E90alex
Funny, I was on a long 650 mile trip home and I wished Tesla would re-route mid-route. There were one too many SC stops and I knew this. I ended up having to end and restart the trip - thats when I dropped the one extra charger.

To the OP, what is your desitnation threshold at? In any event, you hit 5% and got home with 5%. If you were driving 65 then surely you were just a minute away. Not sure its worth the complaint...lol

Reactions: mspohr
Why need a confirm? Why not just ignore it and keep driving on your route. I've had it happen to me a few times but it eventually will re-calc and the "alert" will go away.
The point is the "route" was the route to the supercharger. It said re-routing to supercharger. As I was not familiar with the route + dark, raining, and the only one in the car I didn't have a way to know if I was following "the route home with a detour in 50 miles to a supercharger" or "the route home via a supercharger and doing a big detour" and the motorway (freeway in USA) it was sending me to go on was still on my direct route home.

Interesting issue.

I like the fact that the car estimates that, while driving, for your current given SoC (State of Charge),
there will be no possibility to reach a Supercharger, from your destination back to a supercharger.

This could be very usefull for a new driver, like someone renting a car, otherwise the driver
will be stranded while between the current destination location and the nearest supercharger.
- For example after spending the night in an hotel and the next day trying to continue the journey.

Otherwise, I would like to inform the Navigation that I plan to charge at the final destination.

So no need to re-routing to a Supercharger and pre-conditioning.
- May be there could be an aditional default setting for Home or Work.
- And for a more general case, i.e. going to an hotel with a L2 charger,
this could be added to the navigation itinerary.

It would be absolutly great to have a special warning visulation:
- like a warning Pop-up window when the car reaches below 15% or 20%.
- and may be an amber background behind the car display.

You could then have the option of cliking an 'Ignore' button,
or instead, have an 'Yes, please Help me' button.

Note: I recently been in a low State of Charge situation but I was not using the Navigation!!!
So I was only doing some errand shopping on weekend and suddenly my passenger noticed that I was at 15% SoC.
I immediatly turned the navigation and there was a supercharger nearby but I would arrive with only 5% left.
Honestly, I whish there would have been some king of warning before reaching the 15% Soc.
It's good it does it for a person that's jumped in and not planned their route, the percentage they need to charge to etc.
For me it's annoying it's navigating me off my route home to a supercharger. Like I say some are a good 10+ mile detour. In this case the more sensible option if a few % in it is to slow down. You'll actually get home far quicker!
Yes - agree. We need a prompt of "needing help, or confident and ignore". Many many people use trip planning apps like "a better route planner" and know their route and charging stops.
Also as pre-conditioning the battery might increase speed it's going to hurt your efficiency for ALL the time you leave the car "pre-conditioning" for supercharging.
Another thing - many a time the supercharger is too quick. I might want to do a 20minute stop to go to the services, but need only 20%. I don't want that delivered in 10minutes. In these cases it's better for me to "not" navigate to a supercharger and get a slower speed. Also pre-conditioning + a big charge of say 15-80% will cause the battery to heat to 57C according to Bjorn Nyland videos, and everyone who knows anything about lithium batteries will tell you heat is bad for battery life. Yes, it's only temporary. Yes, it's Tesla optimising charging speed. But surprising the car, letting the charging heat it to 45C is better for the battery imho than pre-heating and it being heated by charging to 57C - then cooled all the way back down to 25C. It's wasteful in wasted heat too and bad for efficiency.

Last edited:
If you see it change navigation to a supercharger you don't want and you're sure you can make it home with the charge you have available. Just stop the in car navigation and use your phone to navigate via Google maps or Waze.

And if it didn't do the routing to a supercharger and you ran out of charge, I can read that posting as well.
As my mother always said, Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Next time just drive on and ignore the prompts it will reroute & recalculate. But then don't blame the car if you run out of go juice.

For myself I'm learning to trust the car's calculations and routing.

There used to be a little blue link near the end of the navigation list, saying something like remove superchargers. Is that still there? It would be all you needed.
The car also used to tell you "round trip % expected" but they removed that.
The list of directions was quite long - I didn't try and scroll to the end to see it - but it wasn't obvious if it was there.

If you see it change navigation to a supercharger you don't want and you're sure you can make it home with the charge you have available. Just stop the in car navigation and use your phone to navigate via Google maps or Waze.
In the UK it's illegal to stop on the motorway. So this wasn't an option. The phone I use I don't use for navigation - so turning on "location", and going into maps and entering a destination is not something that can be done. Besides - I want the big Tesla screen to be giving me directions.
It's also illegal to use your phone for navigation if it's not in a bracket - they don't want people driving down a motorway with a phone in their hand - or balanced on the dash, which slips off and you crash while trying to retrieve it from the footwell! The reason I don't even have a bracket or think about using it for navigation in the Model 3 is it has built in navigation and supercharging if I want it

And if it didn't do the routing to a supercharger and you ran out of charge, I can read that posting as well.
As my mother always said, Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Next time just drive on and ignore the prompts it will reroute & recalculate. But then don't blame the car if you run out of go juice.

For myself I'm learning to trust the car's calculations and routing.
Give the user the option is all I'm saying. A navigation popup to confirm re-routing. Don't tell them you're being redirected somewhere by some HAL like computer making a decision you don't want. As I said, dark, in the car on my own, unable to stop on a motorway, can't be messing with the map to see if it's routed me a long way off my route. I 100% did not want the re-routing - and I think 50% won't because they'll have planned to charge and are smart enough to have charged for their needs + a 10-20% buffer.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
In the UK it's illegal to stop on the motorway. So this wasn't an option. The phone I use I don't use for navigation - so turning on "location", and going into maps and entering a destination is not something that can be done. Besides - I want the big Tesla screen to be giving me directions.
It's also illegal to use your phone for navigation if it's not in a bracket - they don't want people driving down a motorway with a phone in their hand - or balanced on the dash, which slips off and you crash while trying to retrieve it from the footwell! The reason I don't even have a bracket or think about using it for navigation in the Model 3 is it has built in navigation and supercharging if I want it
So you could, you just choose not to. It's all choices

I would concur with OP concerns.

A choice in the nav redirection would be most appropriate for the software to confirm instead of automatically re-routing.
I have certainly dealt with this annoyance before on longer trips when I know what charger I am going to make it to and it auto re-routes. My usual response to ignore and keep going on. Or I may place car in autopilot while I play with nav system and recorrect while driving.

BUT...if driving conditions are suboptimal as OP stated, all the playing around with the nav screen and resetting distracts from watching the road and presents more of a safety hazard (and could not just ignore due to needing nav guidance to destination). And certainly would not have placed into auto-pilot in dark and rain.

Reactions: googlepeakoil
This is ridiculous!

Ohh the OUTRAGE!!! /s

Sorry, had to get that out of my system...

I agree that there should be a prompt before the in car nav re-routes. Another funny quirk is that the car will re-route for some random reason in violation of the re-route if new route is x minutes faster.

As far as your specific scenario, why not just cancel navigation and continue your SHORT distance HOME which presumably you would know how to get there without needing the in car navigation?

I also think the user should be able to manually stop the preconditioning in route to supercharger(maybe with a warning about possibly reduced charging speed).

Ohh the OUTRAGE!!! /s

Sorry, had to get that out of my system...

I agree that there should be a prompt before the in car nav re-routes. Another funny quirk is that the car will re-route for some random reason in violation of the re-route if new route is x minutes faster.

As far as your specific scenario, why not just cancel navigation and continue your SHORT distance HOME which presumably you would know how to get there without needing the in car navigation?

I also think the user should be able to manually stop the preconditioning in route to supercharger(maybe with a warning about possibly reduced charging speed).
You didn't read the original post. The bit where I was 100 miles from home, relying on the navigation to get home because I didn't know the route! It was dark, 1am. It was raining. I'm on a motorway - where it's illegal in the UK to stop unless broken-down, and you're not supposed to operate a satnav while driving to re-route - also illegal. Being detoured to somewhere you don't want to go - like "going to the nearest cinema" is not the same as a car finding a quicker route home to get you home in 20mins instead of 22! Once you've also detoured off the motorway you're also unlikely to be able to make it back then without charging as you might now be on the longer route. One supercharger I had to go to once meant I had to do an 85 mile journey home instead of a 75 mile journey.

I would concur with OP concerns.

A choice in the nav redirection would be most appropriate for the software to confirm instead of automatically re-routing.
I have certainly dealt with this annoyance before on longer trips when I know what charger I am going to make it to and it auto re-routes. My usual response to ignore and keep going on. Or I may place car in autopilot while I play with nav system and recorrect while driving.

BUT...if driving conditions are suboptimal as OP stated, all the playing around with the nav screen and resetting distracts from watching the road and presents more of a safety hazard (and could not just ignore due to needing nav guidance to destination). And certainly would not have placed into auto-pilot in dark and rain.
Glad someone understands! Yeah driving in the dark, rain at 1am, it wasn't safe to be playing with a satnav to work out where it was trying to send me - how far off the motorway (which charger destination), if it was 1 mile or 10 miles off the route. Also illegal to be programming any satnav while driving. It should be done before you set off. Illegal to be programming one while driving - just like it's a 6 point fine for driving while operating a mobile if it's not in a cradle and the police could still stop you if they see you swerving even if you can do hands-free calls. Having it change mid-route is not fun in those driving conditions. Things happen quickly at motorway speeds.

You didn't read the original post. The bit where I was 100 miles from home, relying on the navigation to get home because I didn't know the route! It was dark, 1am. It was raining. I'm on a motorway - where it's illegal in the UK to stop unless broken-down, and you're not supposed to operate a satnav while driving to re-route - also illegal. Being detoured to somewhere you don't want to go - like "going to the nearest cinema" is not the same as a car finding a quicker route home to get you home in 20mins instead of 22! Once you've also detoured off the motorway you're also unlikely to be able to make it back then without charging as you might now be on the longer route. One supercharger I had to go to once meant I had to do an 85 mile journey home instead of a 75 mile journey.

Ohh hold on, maybe I misunderstood...lets go back and look...

I was on a long drive,
Ok so this was the first 6 words of your OP...good for you so far...

I could see the % range expected dropping from 10%. When it hit 5% the car said "rerouting to supercharge", "pre-conditioning battery for supercharging"

Umm ok, so Were you at 10% or 5% when you were 100 miles from home? what is the range of your vehicle again?

I did NOT want the car to do this!! I am intelligent enough to know I can drop my speed from 65 to 55 if the % dropped too low and get home without wasting time detouring, charging, etc

Glad you were intelligent to know that at the charge level you were at and the distance you were at, that you knew that you didn't need to detour in order to get home!

Of course I made it home with 5% battery!

Hey, I thought it started routing to a supercharger and preconditioning when it "hit 5%"...but you got home with 5%...how far from home were you again at 10% and 5%?.

And to be clear, the ONLY reason I am responding to you like this is because you tried calling me out for not reading, but the data provided in your OP, post #1 does not support a "ridiculous" claim in my opinion.

Either you are in error of your "ridiculous" claim, or your DATA supporting that claim is in error, either way, it was your post that you wrote so if you want to correct your errors that is fine...but you can't just say you were 100 miles away because that doesn't match with what you wrote in your OP.

And yes I was triggered by the word "ridiculous". :)

• Funny
Reactions: 804son