Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla design chief Franz von Holzhausen on Roadster 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think there's too many people that are promised the free Roadsters from referrals, that they will perpetuate this forever.
I’ve seen this on Teslas website regarding previous referral schemes, not sure what it means but it reads to me they’ve claimed something?

“Founders Series Roadster:
All winners have claimed the discount.”

But overall, I suspect the roadster was meant to be a Plaid+ which got cancelled, and Tesla have now cancelled all right hand drive MS and MX, I’d say the future prospects of this ever coming to market are less now than they’ve ever been.

Reactions: emmz0r
Heh, I didn't ask what IS roadster 2.0 :D I just asked "what roadster 2.0" - as in, it's been promised for years now and still hasn't been delivered. I have my doubts that we'll ever see a product.
My nephew works on a team building drive units for the Roadster. (He’s a factory worker, not an engineer.) I am not going to disclose what location he works at, but he said their team builds about 40-50 drive units per day for the Roadster and sends them to both Giga-Nevada and China for further assembly. Perhaps TESLA is planning a production launch of Roadster 2.0 along with Cybertruck in Q3 this year…???

My nephew works on a team building drive units for the Roadster. (He’s a factory worker, not an engineer.) I am not going to disclose what location he works at, but he said their team builds about 40-50 drive units per day for the Roadster and sends them to both Giga-Nevada and China for further assembly. Perhaps TESLA is planning a production launch of Roadster 2.0 along with Cybertruck in Q3 this year…???

I doubt that's correct but that's just me .

Reactions: HankLloydRight
yeah i doubt how he interpreted what he saw , also judging from service center employees not knowing what's going on
What he saw? My nephew works in a TESLA factory; he is not a service center employee or technician. He told me that he is part of a team that builds "forty to fifty motors per day for the Roadster". (I am not disclosing the location to protect his identity; i.e. I don't want to get him in any trouble.) I am not sure how your conclusion is that he is somehow confused about "what he saw". I didn't say that he "saw" anything. I shared what he stated, that he works on a team building 40-50 motors per day for the Roadster, and he said they ship some of them to another Gigafactory location in the USA for testing and validation and some are shipped to China. Imagine if you worked in such a role and this was all that you did all day long; I'm confident you would know what you are talking about. Not sure why you are doubting what I've shared or what gives you standing to contest it at all, unless you are saying that you just don't believe me, in which case I don't care; I have no reason to lie. If I was going to make up a story, then it would be a lot more elaborate and "juicy" than this one.

What he saw? My nephew works in a TESLA factory; he is not a service center employee or technician. He told me that he is part of a team that builds "forty to fifty motors per day for the Roadster". (I am not disclosing the location to protect his identity; i.e. I don't want to get him in any trouble.) I am not sure how your conclusion is that he is somehow confused about "what he saw". I didn't say that he "saw" anything. I shared what he stated, that he works on a team building 40-50 motors per day for the Roadster, and he said they ship some of them to another Gigafactory location in the USA for testing and validation and some are shipped to China. Imagine if you worked in such a role and this was all that you did all day long; I'm confident you would know what you are talking about. Not sure why you are doubting what I've shared or what gives you standing to contest it at all, unless you are saying that you just don't believe me, in which case I don't care; I have no reason to lie. If I was going to make up a story, then it would be a lot more elaborate and "juicy" than this one.

thy can work on drive units and not know what they are for

Except he does know what they are for, which is why he explicitly told me what they are for and where they are sending them.
Just doesn’t seem very likely, if the roadster was in production Elon would have let everyone know.
So why would Tesla spend money making 50 drive units per day, 5 days per week = 1000 per month = 3000 per quarter.

Why spend all that money making parts for a vehicle that’s not in production yet.

But also did Tesla/Elon say the roadster is going to have a different motor? I assumed they were going to use the Plaid motors

Just doesn’t seem very likely, if the roadster was in production Elon would have let everyone know.
So why would Tesla spend money making 50 drive units per day, 5 days per week = 1000 per month = 3000 per quarter.

Why spend all that money making parts for a vehicle that’s not in production yet.

But also did Tesla/Elon say the roadster is going to have a different motor? I assumed they were going to use the Plaid motors
I don’t have the answers to your questions. Perhaps you shouldn’t assume, though. It is insider information which I’m sharing second-hand (not third, fourth, fifth-hand). I did not have the opportunity to sit down with my nephew and press him for details and clarification, which I would have loved to do. Take it or leave, but that’s all I have to share on that.

AFAIK the Roadster will get similar Carbon-Sleeved Rotors to the Plaid, but not identical ones. They will be tweaked a bit further allowing more RPM and Torque. It is also very likely, that Roadster could get Quad Motor configuration instead of "just" the Tri-Motor which would need a different powertrain for the front.

• Informative
Reactions: THEbuz
Good memory. I had to look it up…

…We have to keep some secrets! We have a few ideas for increasing torque & max rpm even further for new Roadster…​

It would be interesting to see with a given weight and added downforce, at what torque you lose traction in the front. Not easy math considering the launch stance and shift. I can see a further argument for the compressed air being used for downforce more than for propulsion.

Last edited:
Reactions: CYBRTRK420
AFAIK the Roadster will get similar Carbon-Sleeved Rotors to the Plaid, but not identical ones. They will be tweaked a bit further allowing more RPM and Torque. It is also very likely, that Roadster could get Quad Motor configuration instead of "just" the Tri-Motor which would need a different powertrain for the front.
The existing Plaid motors are probably enough. They are battery limited now above ~50 mph, so adding more battery would improve performance. But, I don't know how they are going to build a fun car with a huge battery. It looks like the Plaid battery already weighs 1200 lbs.

• Informative