Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla designers / engineers - read this for Model 3!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I've got a front-of-the-line first day preorder in for a Model 3, and am looking forward to it. But between the lack of details coming on the 3, and things I have seen on the Model S custom ordering page, I have some concerns. Tesla engineers need to hear this.

First, I will most likely order a base 3. Maybe a bigger battery, but that is pretty much it. No leather, no cold weather package, and certainly no glass roof! Some of the options and pricing have me concerned.

1. No base white paint? Dafuq? The hell is this? I will not take a black car and I don't want to pay extra for paint, and the Pearls are harder to match in case of an accident. I was planning on base white paint, unless the 3 has some brighter colors. I don't like the idea of silver paint costing money, but that is my next choice. When in recorded automotive history, aside from Henry Fords' Model T, have people been unable to get plain white paint? Is this a deliberate move to get people to SPEND MORE MONEY on a paint color they don't want? This only generates bad feelings.

2. Radio options. I am not an audiophile, so I don't need a fancy sound system. But I do want Sirius Satellite Radio / XM so I can listen to Howard Stern and comedy channels. The base radio should be able to get satellite radio. Then there is the issue of REQUIRING a glass roof to get satellite, for no other reason than antenna placement. Again - Dafuq? With all the engineering Tesla is doing, they can't figure out how to put a satellite antenna on a plain metal roof? Dodge managed to do it for my 2011 Challenger R/T. Is Tesla admitting that Dodge has better engineers than Tesla? Drill a hole and run a wire... how hard is this to figure out? Put the antenna on the trunk lid if you have to!

3. Glass roof. I don't care how great the view may be. I hate it. I absolutely will not buy a 3 with a glass roof. No way, not never ever. Not even if a 3 with a glass roof is cheaper than a metal roof. My Challenger R/T has a sunroof and I never open it. I was the second owner so I didn't get to choose. I hate the sun beating down on me, I want my nice cool, A/C, dark interior. So requiring a glass roof to get satellite radio will never happen for me. And again, it makes for bad feelings.

Those are my main issues. As far as the Model 3 goes, anyhow... :)

A minor amusement I have is with the Model S Interior ordering page. The section for the décor trim. Anything other than plain black, and they charge $12 to $16 a month. SERIOUSLY? For a different colored piece of plastic snapped into the dash and center console in a couple places? Come on, Tesla. I know you need money to stay in business, and I am ok with that. You're doing some great things, and that's not cheap. But some of these options and "requirements" seem like thinly veiled attempts to get me to put out thousands more for minor things, and I resent that. Don't even get me started on the prices for different wheels.

No base white paint? Dafuq? The hell is this?
I am not familiar with the word "Dafuq". Please explain.
the Model S Interior ordering page. The section for the décor trim. Anything other than plain black, and they charge $12 to $16 a month. SERIOUSLY? For a different colored piece of plastic snapped into the dash and center console in a couple places?
None of the interior trim options, or even the base trim material, are "plastic". They are wood veneer or carbon fiber.

Have you considered the new Chevy Bolt? It's the only other long range EV on the market. Except it doesn't have a fast DC charging network in place. But it does appear to come in bright colors.

I personally love the way the 3 is as it stands now.

1. White will probably be back.

2. Satellite radio sucks, adds a silly dongle to the top of the car, and is expensive annually. In all my cars I never subscribe after the initial dealer trial period is over. Internet radio is awesome, and vastly more content and quality.

3. The glass roof rocks. If they ditch this for any reason I'd be pissed. It's just too awesome not to have.

OP: With regards to #3, at least, I can confirm that your roof choices will be A) solid metal body roof (likely the base), B) solid glass roof, or C) panoramic roof. This is straight from Doug Field's mouth, as I was in the Model 3 when he said it during my test ride at the reveal event. Can't speak to satellite radio availability with any of those options yet though, obviously.

First, I will most likely order a base 3. Maybe a bigger battery, but that is pretty much it. No leather, no cold weather package, and certainly no glass roof! Some of the options and pricing have me concerned.
1. No base white paint? Dafuq? The hell is this?
2. Radio options. I am not an audiophile, so I don't need a fancy sound system.
But I do want Sirius Satellite Radio / XM so I can listen to Howard Stern and comedy channels.
3. Glass roof. I don't care how great the view may be. I hate it. I absolutely will not buy a 3 with a glass roof. No way, not never ever.
Those are my main issues. As far as the Model 3 goes, anyhow... :) A minor amusement I have is with the Model S Interior ordering page. The section for the décor trim. Anything other than plain black, and they charge $12 to $16 a month. SERIOUSLY?

Tim, this is clearly not the right car for you. Time to move along... nothing to see here :cool:

Has it been a while since you shopped for/bought a new car?

In general I find Tesla is far EASIER in getting what you want without a bunch of stuff you don't. However, the reality is that few if any car manufacturers would survive if all they sold was base models as much of the profit comes with the options. Just be glad you can almost certainly get a white, body color roof Model 3 for $36k or less and add the satellite radio yourself! Buy your own wheels too- you'll be happier in the long run and save money!