Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla door handle failure - pivot gear (anyone have one I can buy?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the driver's door replaced today under warranty by mobile services. I watched the tech as he worked. In my case the entire handle had to be replaced with the latest version, and a firmware download was necessary to get it to work. My door handle failed to present but not for the usual reasons -- pivot gear, broken wires, etc. The motor failed.

• Informative
Reactions: Lucky_Man
HI.
Could you be so kind to explain have to order this Paddle Gear from Tesla?

you will physically have to go to the SC, ask for a parts adviser, tell him you want to order 1042845-00-A and how many you want. If they have in stock he/she will bring them out, and you will give him your credit card or cash. If they don't have in stock they will order and call you back when they arrive. Then you go pick them up and pay when they are ready.

In November 2018, they were on revision B (PADDLE GEAR (1042845-00-B).
May be up to revision C by now. I'd ask. On give the number and not the revision letter.
My service center claims back then that they don’t have any to sell, that they aren’t changing them anymore. A week later, a ranger came out and installed one - that part number is from the ranger's invoice. o_O

Last edited:
May be up to revision C by now. I'd ask. On give the number and not the revision letter.
My service center claims back then that they don’t have any to sell, that they aren’t changing them anymore. A week later, a ranger came out and installed one - that part number is from the ranger's invoice. o_O

Looked at the public online parts catalog (epc.teslamotors.com) and version B is the most recent - 1042845-00-B

Hello,
I have the CAD data. You can also have my modified Version for wire eroding. => send me a message with you email.
Maybe you become a better price and also shipping is easier for US. => I don't want to make a business of selling this parts.
Actual price for my part is 65€+15€ for shipping to US. Customs is not a problem with this small part.
View attachment 266325

Hallo Christian!
Bin neu im Forum (daher kein private post), bräuchte ein Stück nach Wien geschickt. Gibt es noch welche?
LG,
Gerald

I been having this issue and the day it happened i immediately scheduled an appointed (soonest was a week away). The pivot gear is what i believe is broken on mine.
I had to tie a string around it to open the drivers door. So ghetto.

Anyways the door motor continuously moves when park. I feel like the motor will fry since it's on 24/7.

I been having this issue and the day it happened i immediately scheduled an appointed (soonest was a week away). The pivot gear is what i believe is broken on mine.
I had to tie a string around it to open the drivers door. So ghetto.

Anyways the door motor continuously moves when park. I feel like the motor will fry since it's on 24/7.
My motor went for months without “frying.”

My motor went for months without “frying.”
Same. I was informed by the Ranger Tech that these motors inside of the handle are quite strong and are capable of millions of cycles with a heavy load. He said that they could spin "freely" like this w/o weight or resistance probably for decades without failing.

A my next Service center is about 12h of drive, can I somehow order it to be shipped to me by tesla? Anyone tried it? Or if anyone is near the SC and could by it for me? Thank you!
I have done it, here is the part: 1 Tesla Paddle Gear (Part #1042845-00-A) or the newer style: revision B (PADDLE GEAR (1042845-00-B). just call parts at several locations and see which one will fedex it to you.

Here is how to replace it;

Door Handle Paddle Gear Replacement

Also another work around is to have a repair shop (any local auto repair or paint shop) order it for you (one near you) and then just go pick up it from them.

Or you can pay ~35X ($82.71 with shipping) the OEM price of ($3) and buy it here:

Tesla Model S Stainless Steel "Paddle Gear" Replacement for 1042845-00-A

Or get the whole rebuild kit for $180 (OEM is about ~$80, so this is a better deal)

Model S Door Handle Rebuild Kit

Last edited:
The have seem to have updated. The Parts advisor usually checks what the current part is and will supply that. New revision has gotten much more expensive. I think it's almost $5 now.

• Funny
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Thanks for everyones input in this thread; and the Rich Repairs videos. Just bought a new paddle gear from the service centre for $8 CDN, ($35 shipping :( ) and 2 hours of my time to save the quoted price for a new one of $385 CDN. Should be good for another 4-5 years.

the hardest part was figuring out how to contact the service centre and ask them how to buy the parts!