Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops prices on X/S $20k. All colors free. Bye bye resale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my Model S Plaid one day ago, drove less than 80 miles on it, and today the price dropped by $20k. Is there anything I can do? I feel this should be illegal and there should be consumer protection laws against this. I get that the value drops once you drive off the lot, but a price cut, and just one day after I accepted the delivery. Any advice is welcome.

show me a listing for any of those cars with a 40% drop. In fact show me a 2022 or 2023 model for any of those cars selling at a 40% discount.

Seriously? Almost new 2023s are $80K with MSRP of $106K.

22s are in the sub-$70K range. The joke on Leasehckrs is the second you drive off the lot... your entire 3-yr lease payment is gone on the GT lol. The same applies to EQS which had $30-40K discounts. Those who bought at full price in 2022 must be PISSED.

1693584818957.png

1693584803128.png

$106K MSRP - sub 2K miles - $81K Used 2023 Audi e-tron GT For Sale at Audi Lakeland | VIN: WAUFJBFW0P7001548

Just picked up my Model S Plaid one day ago, drove less than 80 miles on it, and today the price dropped by $20k. Is there anything I can do? I feel this should be illegal and there should be consumer protection laws against this. I get that the value drops once you drive off the lot, but a price cut, and just one day after I accepted the delivery. Any advice is welcome.
Why? If someone buys at a bmw dealer they maybe paying 10-20k more or less than the person in the next office over.

Again- nobody who buys a car expects a 40% drop in value after 1 year. Otherwise

Im waiting
The day I picked up my 90D, I could get the 100D for the same price. The same DAY. Almost 7 years later, doesn’t matter.

Yeah, it’s a bummer you “lost” 40%. We all have lost value. It totally depends on your outlook. If you want to continue to get screwed the next time for a vehicle which is barely better than a previous year from a different manufacturer, you go right ahead.

In the long run, what do you think is better? To continue to pay high prices just so the old vehicle is worth more or get a better product for far less money the next time?

I want the best product for the least amount of money the next time.

After all, I agreed to the price I paid for it originally. Was worth it then. Buyers remorse over a price drop does no good other than cause stress. That isn’t healthy.

Your type of posts comes out after every price drop and have for years.

I’m sorry. It is a difficult situation, but you probably have no recourse. There are people that bought near the top of the market in 2022 that now have a $40-$50,000 price delta between what they paid and the current price. The problem with such price declines is that you are vulnerable to owing more than the car is worth for many years if the vehicle is severely damaged or totaled. Definitely get GAP insurance.

Maybe, but I'm talking about a real world scenario not a hypothetical. Yes, someone may be overpaying 50% on a used honda accord vs someone else, but I'm talking about MSPR today vs MSRP two days ago. That's f**ed up.
I’m talking real case. Friend of mine and I both purchased M3s back in 95. Exact same features. Different colors. 5 days apart. $10k difference.

Reactions: morbidz
Seriously? Almost new 2023s are $80K with MSRP of $106K.

22s are in the sub-$70K range. The joke on Leasehckrs is the second you drive off the lot... your entire 3-yr lease payment is gone on the GT lol. The same applies to EQS which had $30-40K discounts. Those who bought at full price in 2022 must be PISSED.

View attachment 970142
View attachment 970141

$106K MSRP - sub 2K miles - $81K Used 2023 Audi e-tron GT For Sale at Audi Lakeland | VIN: WAUFJBFW0P7001548
I stand c
This is why I never buy new
Maybe one day I'll be rich n won't care lol
I think even if you are rich you still feel scammed.

I’m the same boat as you (see my earlier post in this thread). Unfortunately, I think we are SOL. I did text the dealer and they’ve replied that they understand how I feel but there is nothing they can do. I responded saying I’m not very happy right now, but they haven’t gotten back to me. I doubt they will do anything.

If it’s any consolation, at least the car is awesome.

I mean you can reach out to Tesla to see if they'll throw you a bone.

But no there shouldn't be laws against this.

So you're proposing that it should be ILLEGAL for companies to lower prices on their products???

What other car has dropped almost 50% in MSRP in a year? No one is saying that people are expecting the prices to hold or appreciate in value, but Tesla is tanking the value of these cars.
The market of buyers that can actually afford to spend $100,00+ on a car is pretty small. I'd expect more volatility potential in that segment. I'd also expect buyers with that much disposable income to not care so much about it's resale value.
Every time I buy a car, I ask myself if I could be happy with it for the next 10 years if need be. If that answer is no, I don't buy the vehicle. The point again is you're buying a piece of equipment, not an investment. The resale value should be irrevelant. Buy what fits your needs & that you are happy with.

Dealers are probably shatting their pants right now...I'm looking at used Plaids on autotrader and their prices are dropping like a rock...bunch of them in the 70s now....

I can't imagine any existing S or X owner who bought in the past two years is happy right now. Brand loyalty is a huge thing and anyone knowing something they own drops in value so quickly (regardless of whether they planned on selling) has to leave a bad taste in peoples mouths.

Call tesla and ask... other than that, don't look at prices of new ones lmao. Sorry man, its just the way it is. There is no legal recourse. They did not rip you off.
I don't try and go after companies after their stock tumbles and i lose money. It the same situation.

I can't imagine any existing S or X owner who bought in the past two years is happy right now. Brand loyalty is a huge thing and anyone knowing something they own drops in value so quickly (regardless of whether they planned on selling) has to leave a bad taste in peoples mouths.
Kinda depends, no?

If you were planning on trading in your car for a new Tesla, the out of pocket is probably similar and maybe a little less than yesterday.