Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops prices on X/S $20k. All colors free. Bye bye resale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think that’s going to happen, not as long as Tesla is selling Model S
Why not?
The bmw M3 out does the 550i (not M5)
The Audi S4 outdoes the A6 (not S7)
The C63 amg outdoes the E550 (not E63)

I’m equating this to the LR S….not plaid.

A ludicrous 3 would not have much impact on S sales tbh. Different animals.

Reactions: canasion35
Why not?
The bmw M3 out does the 550i (not M5)
The Audi S4 outdoes the A6 (not S7)
The C63 amg outdoes the E550 (not E63)

I’m equating this to the LR S….not plaid.

A ludicrous 3 would not have much impact on S sales tbh. Different animals.
Forget ludicrous, they haven’t even announced a performance Highland 3 in countries where they are already taking orders

Still no one would like to lose a discount. It's free money.
Tempted to trade in my MS. Pieces are coming together:
  • Price about same as what I paid years ago
  • Transfer of FSD (which I remember buying for approx. $2500 for but would never pay for now but wouldn’t mind having mainly out of FOMO
Cons are the car has been wonderful and problem free. Trading in free supercharging so ideally Elon rolls out some credit for supercharging at quarter end. Also Model Y is so good that you can have it along with another $25-30k in pocket. Maybe talking myself into trading for Model Y 😀
Such similar situation. I ordered before price drop and now it's very appealing but losing free supercharging car is a bummer. Maybe I will keep both for a while.

Forget ludicrous, they haven’t even announced a performance Highland 3 in countries where they are already taking orders
Hence the ‘ speculation’ of something different with their Perf line. It will announce…when they are ready to.
Tesla won’t abandon one of their more popular and higher profit M3 trim lines

Just in the news here, Audi Q8 E-tron price dropped 15000€.

It's not exactly the same thing as Tesla price change as this isn't exactly the same model, it's a "refresh" that's cheaper than the old version.. kinda makes it worse, though? :) but I think you couldn't even buy the previous model for a while, so there probably isn't that many angry protestors.

So they essentially kept pushing the earlier date on you when you had a sept 2nd date confirmed?

It’s normal practice for them to want to deliver prior to an end of month. But the fact that they did this knowing the price was changing a day later…again I’d speak to a lawyer. Have you called or emailed tesla Corp with this?
Like I said, this is just what their system is programmed to do. It did the exact same thing to me last week and my car was not subject to an impending price cut.

Dude voluntarily changed his delivery date and picked the car up early. Not sure what you think a lawyer is going to do for him.

Reactions: Yelobird
i find this a bit funny...
(bottom of used inventory)
1693859721911.png

Reactions: brkaus
Like I said, this is just what their system is programmed to do. It did the exact same thing to me last week and my car was not subject to an impending price cut.

Dude voluntarily changed his delivery date and picked the car up early. Not sure what you think a lawyer is going to do for him.
I guess the question would be if they knew they'd drop the price when they offered him the opportunity to buy early. Probably did. That was not done on a whim.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I guess the question would be if they knew they'd drop the price when they offered him the opportunity to buy early. Probably did. That was not done on a whim.
It was not done in a whim, it was done programmatically, like I said and demonstrated above with my own experience.

There’s like zero chance anyone at a service center has any idea about impending price changes.

It doesn't matter that someone at the service center didn't know. What matters is when Tesla decided to lower prices and now, that price cut was not programatic. It's approved by someone and for a certain reason, that model is tested, they anticipate boosts in sales, etc but it does not just show up overnight.

It doesn't matter that someone at the service center didn't know. What matters is when Tesla decided to lower prices and now, that price cut was not programatic. It's approved by someone and for a certain reason, that model is tested, they anticipate boosts in sales, etc but it does not just show up overnight.
Are you assuming the people/programs that handle delivery are in constant communication with the people/programs that make pricing decisions?

No. I made the order, and when it was time to make the date, I asked for Sat 9/2. (They actually gave me Tuesday at first- I think that was my mistake when selecting the date). Then, they kept texting me daily that the car was on site and that I could reschedule for an earlier date. So, on Wed morning, I checked the app and was able to re-arrange my calendar so that I could pick up that afternoon.
If you are going to consult a lawyer (I don’t advise one way or another), I would at least recommend sending an opt-out for the arbitration clause of the MVPA. This at least opens the possibility for you to file a grievance through a court with an attorney and allows you to join a class action if one occurs.

Reactions: aerodyne
If anything, I'll bet Tesla overcorrected and will bump prices back up $5K to $10K. They did this with the X/S plaid briefly dropping to $104K before raising them back up to $109K about 3 weeks later. This could simply have happened because a rush of order filled their production pipeline for months to come and they raised them back up to slow down order that they couldn't fill fast enough anyways. Then they burned through all the customers who would buy at $109K, made all those cars, and now the production line is under capacity again. They then lowered the price again to try and bring in those buyers who'd only buy at an even lower price.

Unlikely. Rivian, Lucid are all gunning for market share from Tesla. If anything X may see a sales increase due to it qualifying for the tax rebate. This may even prompt further cuts to enable the 6 & 7 seater configs to be eligible for the tax rebate. I would say there is room for another 10K price cut.

Unlikely. Rivian, Lucid are all gunning for market share from Tesla. If anything X may see a sales increase due to it qualifying for the tax rebate. This may even prompt further cuts to enable the 6 & 7 seater configs to be eligible for the tax rebate. I would say there is room for another 10K price cut.

You know I think there's a non zero chance that before end of this year there may be another cut to the Model S. Plaid below 85k?!?! If it does go that low I'm definitely ordering one!!!🤞🤞