Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Elon Musk Says Update 8.1 Coming in 10 Days or So

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Infiniti has had this since 2006. That's eleven years ago! Now lots of cars have it (including Nissan, Ford, BMW, Cadillac, etc.), but not Tesla. In some ways Tesla is years ahead of everyone, and in other areas it's like driving a car from the 90s!
The goal of Tesla is to be fully autonomous in which the car parks itself. So, the future is not the 360 view. Similar to not having a dash intrument panel for the model 3. I guess you could say they are 100 years behind for not having it. Just because you can...doesn't mean you should.

Complainer ;)

Not even close ! I know the process and I'm excited and can't wait - that small little line taken out of context for you to use as you prefer is nothing compared to the constant bashing of every single thing the company is about .

The forum is 75% complaints .

I was just stating a fact ; not upset about it , I know there is a process and likely the delay was my slow internet .

Massive difference.

Glad you have the time to sort through my posts to find something telling to fit your agenda.

I'm flattered .

Not even close ! I know the process and I'm excited and can't wait - that small little line taken out of context for you to use as you prefer is nothing compared to the constant bashing of every single thing the company is about .

I was just stating a fact ; not upset about it , I know there is a process and likely the delay was my slow internet .

Massive difference.

Glad you have the time to sort through my posts to find something telling to fit your agenda.

I'm flattered .

Lighten up, man, no one is stalking you and sorting through your post, it was an obvious joke - you posted about everyone complaining and then followed up with another post that you still have no update, which could be interpreted as ... well a complain. But we know you simply stated the fact, it's just the way it sequenced. I guess it lost in translation. :)

Massive difference.

I'm flattered .

Wow. It was ... oh, what do they call those things... wait.. I know it... oh yeah...

A JOKE

Hence the winky face. :)

The goal of Tesla is to be fully autonomous in which the car parks itself. So, the future is not the 360 view. Similar to not having a dash intrument panel for the model 3. I guess you could say they are 100 years behind for not having it. Just because you can...doesn't mean you should.

I get it that this is the new line of revolutionary thinking (we saw the same explaining away deficiences of iPhone7iPad back in the day, many of which of course were brought back later), but it completely dismisses two things:

a) what happens in the meanwhile, driver-not-responsible city driving is likely years away
b) what happens for those who wish to drive their own cars

360 camera view, availabe for the driver, is basically a standard feature or standard option in all cars these days except the smallest and cheapest ones. It will be useful for years for case a) and it will be useful indefinitely for case b).

Tesla may well not do a 360 degree view and get away with it, but that doesn't mean it is not a desireable feature or one that will somehow be made redundant. With cars adding more and more cameras and sensors, quite the contrary I'd expect to see more and more surround / sensor views in cars... even autonomous ones...

Last edited:
Reactions: Blastphemy
My old BMW had this feature with no front camera. The software did a nice job of extrapolating data and made it look like there was a front cam. You would think they could do this now with all the cameras they have. I admit after years of having it in BMW I rarely used it preferring the standard backup camera view plus reverse sensors. I only turned it on to show other people what it looked like.

This is a good reference. Thank you all:

camera_systems.jpg

Yes, Tesla could definitely do a similar feature as BMW without front camera, though in black and white. It would be welcome and there is already room for it in Tesla's parking sensor screen design. A black and white top view with front of car blacked out taking part of the parking sensor screen and the other part showing color rear-view camera. It would simply add image data to the current design.

Last edited:

camera_systems.jpg

Yes, Tesla could definitely do a similar feature as BMW without front camera, though in black and white. It would be welcome and there is already room for it in Tesla's parking sensor screen design. A black and white top view with front of car blacked out taking part of the parking sensor screen and the other part showing color rear-view camera. It would simply add image data to the current design.
I'm sure Tesla is capable of overcoming any technical hurdles in order to provide this feature, but their resources are being used at capacity currently. The question in the future might be, how much would you "pay" for the surround view feature?

The speed and remaining range will be in the top left of the central display.
If you want it in front of you (which you might not care about if you're someone who likes to drive at the speed determined , by the road conditions) you could always get something like an Ultragauge and put it directly in front of you. That will show you the speed and any other information that you can get through the OBDII port.

I get it that this is the new line of revolutionary thinking (we saw the same explaining away deficiences of iPhone7iPad back in the day, many of which of course were brought back later), but it completely dismisses two things:

a) what happens in the meanwhile, driver-not-responsible city driving is likely years away

360 camera view, availabe for the driver, is basically a standard feature or standard option in all cars these days except the smallest and cheapest ones. It will be useful for years for case a) and it will be useful indefinitely for case b).

Tesla may well not do a 360 degree view and get away with it, but that doesn't mean it is not a desireable feature or one that will somehow be made redundant. With cars adding more and more cameras and sensors, quite the contrary I'd expect to see more and more surround / sensor views in cars... even autonomous ones...
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your thoughts and desire for the option. I even have some preferences on technology from previous vehicles I have owned.

With that said, I spent 20 years on a core design team for HP servers. Every 2 years we were completely redesigning and advancing innovation and technologies that did not exist resulting in 1000s of patents while maintaining 1st in market share for 20 yrs straight. In order to lead that kind of innovation, over 3000 engineers were employed specifically to focus on future innovation. The fact is, in order to maintain the market lead, all resources were focused on innovation. What was not a focus was maintaining old technology, or designing backwards because a competitor had a different innovation that could be desired. There is no profit to be made in that, relatively speaking. Put it this was, would you dedicate those 1000s of engineers on future innovation that will open the market to new
revenue , or use them on a competitors innovation even if it would catch some new clients considering no new revenue is possible. It is a simple business decision. Their is little to no profit to designing backwards. The cost to do so would not overcome the benefit.

Right now Tesla has the EV market for their revenue stream. By innovating towards autonomous driving, that opens them up to a whole new revenue stream with folks who prioritize that innovation over EV. So, they would catch both worlds in one package.

Obviously, I am representing the business side of the equation. In an innovation company, there is always a give and take between maintaining, going after competitor, or developing new innovations. New innovations will typically always win because of the potential of revenue vs. the cost to backward design or maintain old innovation.

Reactions: OBX John

Massive difference.

I'm flattered .
It was a total joke! If you've ever seen @PedanticOne comments he is far from a $&@? disturber. I certainly got the humor of it combined with the irony that the previous post was talking about complainers then you posted a short comment which obviously wasn't a complaint but was joked about.

Actually the funny part is that your first comment wasn't a complaint but your second one was :). Take a deep breath, everyone. It's a car forum!

...and now I see I didn't read down far enough and it was subsequently explained!

camera_systems.jpg

Not possible in current AP1/AP2 hardware at least as the cameras Tesla uses are not in the right positions for this - more pointing away from the car to "see" other objets/cars, versus the wide angle cameras on bottoms of mirrors for example that do this for BMW.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger