Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Elon Musk Says Update 8.1 Coming in 10 Days or So

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe we should be glad our 8.1 failed load - leaving our car dumb went back to crippled 8.0 for now. Seems i just read that there already needs to be a patch, as the FWD activation (open close) screen is DOA. At least the return to inoperative safety features on 8.0 leaves us with FWD's that still work from the screen. Maybe we'll just deal w/ no cruise control etc until it all gets sorted out.
Not trying to be a d*ck but maybe you should. I've had my share of issues too. My first Model X has an unfixable problem that took over a month to decide that it wasn't worth fixing. We were left stranded 2 times and had to wait for tow service. So we all have to deal with stuff, especially with a newer car company. I get frustrated with certain things about how the company handles things but I will say they have compromised and listened at times. All the little things will be here soon enough. We all need to be patient and put things into perspective.
We can all live without these gadgets. Compared to what some people have to deal with I think we all can manage.
I bought a Tesla because I like finer things and new technology but if someone took the car away tomorrow, you deal with it focus on more important things. As for the FWD, I received the patch the next day after getting 8.1. It's all coming, life's too short to stress over it.

Maybe we should be glad our 8.1 failed load - leaving our car dumb went back to crippled 8.0 for now. Seems i just read that there already needs to be a patch, as the FWD activation (open close) screen is DOA. At least the return to inoperative safety features on 8.0 leaves us with FWD's that still work from the screen. Maybe we'll just deal w/ no cruise control etc until it all gets sorted out.

I wouldn't call 8.0 dumb or crippled. Yes, 8.1 one has several new features, all of which I'm glad to have but neither version has all of enhanced autopilot yet and I'm fine with that. I, for one, think it's awesome how we get software updates for our cars and that those updates truly do add valuable functions. I would much rather have it that way then have an all or nothing car purchase where whatever functions area available at that moment is all you get until you get a new car or at the very least, take it into service for an upgrade.

Yes, it was annoying that the FWD buttons disappeared but it only affected the limited circumstance where you needed to set a geotagged "always open to full at this location". The doors still worked find with the key fob, the pillar controls and the touch screen (unless there was an overhead obstruction). They released a fix for it in less than a week.

I don't know of very many software companies that fix an introduced bug in less than week. There was recently an app on my iphone that had a bug introduced that made it unusable and it was over a month before that was resolved. Microsoft breaks things all the time with their software and it is months or years, if ever, when the problem is fixed. Having Tesla send me an update in a few days to fix what is a minor inconvenience in the big scope of things is remarkable.

I wouldn't call 8.0 dumb or crippled. ............snip.............

I don't know of very many software companies that fix an introduced bug in less than week. .............snip.............
re 8.0; by crippled - it'd seem the car was meant to run faster than 50-55mph on freeway drives using adaptive cruise & lane assist, and faster than 35ish-mph for those features on surface streets. AP2 came out what ... prior to september last year? It was sold as being up & running. Not a complaint ... just an observation.

And as for a bug introduced, the software (8.0) ran as designed. Not a bug.

We've had no issues with the update 17.11.3....

Autosteer to 80mph.... use it every day from Temecula to the 91, works great
now have adjustable head rest and lumbar support but still no auto dim headlights or rain-sense wipers (not that we need them much here in SoCal)...

Much happier with the vehicle now as it makes the commute more enjoyable.

Oh and the scratch pad on the screen is pretty neat for the kids to doodle

After waiting to see if MrX could recover from its failed 8.1 update, we called service. They said they'll pull logs OTA - see what happened, & why no 2nd attempt. After checking to see whether there was any particular issue(s) - they'd push it to the car again. Took maybe 4 hours for MrX to get its update, then nearly 2 hours for the flash to load. Supposedly summon is back, but nothing yet. At least the FWD's work off the screen - so we missed that mini fiasco.
:)

AP2 came out what ... prior to september last year? It was sold as being up & running. Not a complaint ... just an observation.

And as for a bug introduced, the software (8.0) ran as designed. Not a bug.
AP2 hardware was announced on October 19th, 2016 and the first deliveries in the US weren't for another month, in late November 2016. At the time of the announcement, they indicated it would possibly be several months before AP2 functionality was at parity with AP1 functionality.

AP2 hardware was announced on October 19th, 2016 and the first deliveries in the US weren't for another month, in late November 2016. At the time of the announcement, they indicated it would possibly be several months before AP2 functionality was at parity with AP1 functionality.
i was getting my info from sales folk - ie earlier functionality than the, 'several months before' statement .... just as these kind if reads indicate;
Elon Musk says Tesla’s vision neural net for Autopilot is “now working well”
Working well . . . and that was last year - well before 8.1 ... So I suppose if one considers freeway cruising at 50 mph ok, then yes it was working well even last year.
;)
But hey, on the bright side, with 8.1 - it's another teeny bit closer to not being Mr Toads wild ride - patience is a virtue.

I got my X 100D on the day 8.1 was released, was so happy about the timing but after the update, I found my car lost all the driver assistances. It has been one week after the buggy release and still no patch yet (17.11.10 did not help). Now my car is just like every other car (maybe worse because I can't even use normal cruise control) except it is all electric, falcon wing doors and cost $130K.

Wow, I hope there is a quick resolution. My X, picked up 7 days earlier, had 8.0, did the pre-8.1, then the 8.1, followed by the FWD update. All 3 updates successful. No issues to report on my end. What does your Service Center say?
they said it is a known firmware issue, they will patch it soon but no timeline yet.