Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla End to End: John O'Groats to Lands End

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully that paper issues a correction.
Bottom of the first column:

It took them just over two weeks to reach their southerly destination.

True, but a couple sentences after that it says "It was completed in a similar time to that of a petrol vehicle". A correction should still be issued but having that sentence in there makes up for the goof a bit.

^No, I think there are that many idiots...

The comments are back on. Up to 39 now and still mine isn't one of them.

EDIT: I think I have the measure of them now. Make a calm and succinct response to someone under your real name and they block it. Make a slightly abusive response and anonymise it a bit and hey presto it appears in minutes...

Funny how many of them phrase their EV-bashing (with a seemingly similar amount of angriness) as a request for more information. As if the answers are kept secret. Yet they are able to come up with about every unpleasant question one could think of, except for those which would require exposing in-depth knowledge of the subject.

I wouldn't be surprised if this will happen with every new territory the EV discussion will reach.

That's been a common theme regarding the laptop LiCo cells, since apparently people often fully drain and fully charge their laptops, (and cell phones), on a daily basis, shortening cycle life.

Not to mention packaging them in with a high-powered CPU, which generates a lot of heat. Leave it plugged in during use and, well, full charge, high heat... great combo.

So, given what we know about lithium batteries, what are the suggestions for extending its life?

For instance, my MacBookPro lists the time to full charge. Should I pull it off the charger with 20 minutes left? Should I then use it unplugged until it's got, say, a half-hour of charge left, and then recharge to 20minutes before full?

So, given what we know about lithium batteries, what are the suggestions for extending its life?...

Don't overheat them.
Don't drain them to 'empty'.
Don't overcharge them. (yeah, 80% is better than 100%)
Don't store them at a high state of charge.
Don't store them near empty.
Don't charge them too quickly. (No real concern there with the Roadster.)
Don't discharge them too quickly. (But that 'go' pedal is oh so temping.)

But there is a calendar life clock ticking, so #1 thing to do is: drive it while the going is good- don't park your Roadster in a museum and let it sit there until the batteries wear themselves out.

So, given what we know about lithium batteries, what are the suggestions for extending its life?

For instance, my MacBookPro lists the time to full charge. Should I pull it off the charger with 20 minutes left? Should I then use it unplugged until it's got, say, a half-hour of charge left, and then recharge to 20minutes before full?
Pretty much. I'm shallow cycling my current laptop by trying to unplug it before it's full and never drain it near empty.

I noticed in Ecotricity's press release for their new charging network they included the following:

In November 2010, Ecotricity launched the Nemesis, a wind-powered sports car that can reach 0-100mph in 8.5 seconds and with a top speed of 170mph. The first electric supercar to be designed and built in Britain, the Nemesis was created by an A-team of ex-Formula 1 engineers with the brief to “blow the socks off Jeremy Clarkson” and show that electric cars can be sexy, fast and fun to drive. It will be the first electric car to drive from Land’s End to John O’ Groats this summer.

Now clearly that is a technicality as we did it in the opposite direction. Anyone fancy going for a drive?

I believe that at least 6 hours can be shaved off the trip by 1) not driving into the prevailing winds, but instead getting a hand from them and 2) using the west coast route with an HPC at Birmingham (which wasn't available last time).