Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Prius Prime. It gets 30 miles on electric and 60-70 mpg on my commute. The car is a 2017 and has 200k miles, with no issues. I will always have a Prius in some form, even with multiple Teslas.
True, but then you still need to go to the gas station, get oil changes and smog certification. PHEV are fun to drive while in EV mode, and tend to suck in gas mode. I do acknowledge that a PHEV is still better than a pure gas or hybrid car though.

I had a CMAX Energi PHEV for a few years. It was a good gateway car to full electric, and may serve that function for many others. There were times I felt it had all of the advantages of EV and ICE (I drove it 95% on electric). But other times when I thought it had the disadvantages of both (like when I went to get the emissions inspected and I needed to drive around for an hour because the ICE had not been used recently).

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
How much maintenance has been required over 200k? Genuinely interested as a possible 2nd vehicle since it looks like it still qualifies for $4500 in Fed tax credit. That could make it a good EV commuter car.
Our 2007 Prius has almost 500k miles. We needed a new traction battery at around 490k for 3k. We had the brakes done once, oil changes, catalytic converter, and shocks once, plus tires every 80k.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and rjpjnk
True, but then you still need to go to the gas station, get oil changes and smog certification. PHEV are fun to drive while in EV mode, and tend to suck in gas mode. I do acknowledge that a PHEV is still better than a pure gas or hybrid car though.
I had a 2020 Model 3 standard plus last week and was at a Supercharger for an hour to get 190 miles. Not fun. That would be three gallons of gas in the Prius and a minute or two at a pump. This was after the car had been plugged in for hours in a 110v outlet to get it to 40 miles. And, the Supercharger was 10 miles out of the way.

I had a 2020 Model 3 standard plus last week and was at a Supercharger for an hour to get 190 miles. Not fun. That would be three gallons of gas in the Prius and a minute or two at a pump. This was after the car had been plugged in for hours in a 110v outlet to get it to 40 miles. And, the Supercharger was 10 miles out of the way.
Sounds like you should buy a frigging diesel. Nobody charges an EV on 110V

One thing I learned early on with the Tesla, never charge to 100% at a Supercharger. Going from 80% to 100% is ridiculously slow.

I also never park with a low battery, if I'm going on a trip I hit the supercharger the night before and get it to 80% then let it charge overnight at home to top off. Then you only spend 20 minutes or less at the Supercharger.

Reactions: Physicslawyer
This was a car I picked up 50 miles away from home and was considering buying. I had it for a few days. I didn't get to 100%. I was hoping to get as close as possible to see how many miles the battery had, but after an hour, it was too long.

Our 2007 Prius has almost 500k miles. We needed a new traction battery at around 490k for 3k. We had the brakes done once, oil changes, catalytic converter, and shocks once, plus tires every 80k.
Wow! you beat me. My 2010 had 250k and I thought that was huge. The only repair I ever had to do was head gasket at 197k.
I do not expect the Model Y to come anywhere near Prius reliability until Tesla as a lot more years under their belt. They are smart, and will get better with time.

What would tesla do to incentivize sales in 2021 if the credit is passed but doesn't start until 2022?

Im hoping 8K FSD discount.

I mean, they aren't paying anything to add it to my vehicle and I would jump on that instead of waiting for the credit.
I heard any FSD discount will trigger reaction from the previous FSD buyers, will see how TSLA handles this time.

Let's see if the bill passes on 9/27 and eligibility starts from 1/1/2022

if they discount the FSD during that period, they will lost potential gains from future FSD purchases and subscription -- board will not happy
if they do nothing, most likely an unknown percentage order will drop or delay which cause Q4 bad numbers -- board will not happy

Reactions: Gurule92
I heard any FSD discount will trigger reaction from the previous FSD buyers, will see how TSLA handles this time.

Let's see if the bill passes on 9/27 and eligibility starts from 1/1/2022

if they discount the FSD during that period, they will lost potential gains from future FSD purchases and subscription -- board will not happy
if they do nothing, most likely an unknown percentage order will drop or delay which cause Q4 bad numbers -- board will not happy

That's why I think they do an FSD promo for those that have Q4 deliveries. I don't think they really care about previous FSD buyers because the same can be said about previous Tesla car buyers who took delivery for the past year who aren't receiving the tax credit. Someone will always be unhappy but losing out on sales in Q4 is not good for them.

It would be exceedingly infuriating to have spent $10k on FSD and be stuck with the limited features for 3-4 years only to have someone who buys a car today get it for much less. I cannot see Tesla doing this under any circumstances.

It would make far more sense for Tesla to do a promotional subscription rate for new buyers. Maybe 6 months at $99 or even 2-3 months free.

That's why I think they do an FSD promo for those that have Q4 deliveries. I don't think they really care about previous FSD buyers because the same can be said about previous Tesla car buyers who took delivery for the past year who aren't receiving the tax credit. Someone will always be unhappy but losing out on sales in Q4 is not good for them.
Tesla increased prices by $4,000-$5,000 over the past year. They still have 4-6 month wait lists and are not able to keep up with demand.

They don't need to discount anything right now. As I said above, maybe a limited time price drop on subscriptions might make sense. Or lower price subscriptions until FSD ships.

It would be exceedingly infuriating to have spent $10k on FSD and be stuck with the limited features for 3-4 years only to have someone who buys a car today get it for much less. I cannot see Tesla doing this under any circumstances.

It would make far more sense for Tesla to do a promotional subscription rate for new buyers. Maybe 6 months at $99 or even 2-3 months free.
that is not enough to convince people to forget 8k

Tesla increased prices by $4,000-$5,000 over the past year. They still have 4-6 month wait lists and are not able to keep up with demand.

They don't need to discount anything right now. As I said above, maybe a limited time price drop on subscriptions might make sense. Or lower price subscriptions until FSD ships.
I disagree. They are booked out now but when the tax incentive comes out i think 90% of those ppl (including me) will put their orders on hold until the incentive comes out unless there is some sort of incentive to buy.

They need to get as much sold before is signed as possible or they will have to do something. The demand will drop off a cliff temporarily.

I disagree. They are booked out now but when the tax incentive comes out i think 90% of those ppl (including me) will put their orders on hold until the incentive comes out unless there is some sort of incentive to buy.

They need to get as much sold before is signed as possible or they will have to do something. The demand will drop off a cliff temporarily.

Are you going to be able to put your order on hold without losing your deposit?

It's going to be a weird situation, particularly as you get closer to the end of year and Tesla wants to crank out deliveries while people want to delay them.

I can see Tesla doing something short term, but not by fiddling with the FSD pricing, that would cause some serious anger.