Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are saying people are willing to forgo $8k for delaying their car for two months in exchange for a $600 promotion? That’s not going to get many folks to bite. As soon as the legislation passes and if 1/1/2022 is in the language I am emailing my SA to put my order on hold. Otherwise I will just say I am out of town during delivery and get kicked to the back of the queue. It’s that simple.
Yeah. I missed some context, I was thinking about just increasing FSD take rather than incentives for people who are missing out on the EV rebate/ tax credit.

There is a huge hole in the current draft which allows PHEVs to take advantage of the tax credit.

They don't get as much as a BEV, but they get the base $4,000 plus it qualifies them for the Union clause.

Which means a Wrangler Rubicon PHEV with a tiny 10kWh battery which gets 20MPG will get an $8500 "Green" rebate while a Tesla gets $8,000.

It's a joke.
It is a joke, but PHEVs are currently getting about $6,000 to $7,000 credits today, depending on battery range. I believe the Audi Q5 PHEV is getting $6,700.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ogre
It is a joke, but PHEVs are currently getting about $6,000 to $7,000 credits today, depending on battery range. I believe the Audi Q5 PHEV is getting $6,700.
That is very frustrating 10 years ago it made at least a little sense. Now it's just stupid. 😤🤮

Honestly I'd prefer they let the whole program expire rather than fund millions of crappy PHEVs. I'd rather eat the $7,500 rebate on my Cybertruck than see hundreds billions of government dollars go into this garbage.

Reactions: StealthP3D
I was playing this “should I delay delivery” game in June. I’m happy I didn’t. I’m enjoying not producing emissions while obliterating every ICE vehicle short of my buddy’s McLarean to 60mph. Do what makes sense for your personal finances, but I’m increasingly skeptical that what is being debated today will actually be enacted into law after a few lobbyists have a house boat party with prime minister Manchin.

Reactions: Ogre
I'm about a week out, not sure if I should delay and hope there is something either Tesla or the bill gives in October/November (which is when my MYP would be deferred until) or just take delivery. If my refinance doesn't go through in time, it won't matter, though.

You guys do know that Tesla isn't going to be able to deliver 3 months worth of cars on January 1st right?

If you defer right now, or next month, there is a fair chance you won't see a car until March as thousands of other people have the same idea you do.
8000 off the cars price is over 100 a month off the payment (at 72 mo). I would HATE to wait that long but 100 a month is worth it to me

Last edited:
From what I know, these types of tax incentives are typically applicable to an entire tax year, as that’s much simpler than a specific date it’s passed. So if it passes in next 3 months(ish), it would most likely apply to 2021 taxes but if it passes at the end of the year it would probably only start in 2022.

I would bet it passes and relatively soon, applying to all of 2021 purchases.
My understanding is that the Biden tax changes, if they pass, are intended to be in effect for the 2022 tax year.

My understanding is that the Biden tax changes, if they pass, are intended to be in effect for the 2022 tax year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210918-172944_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210918-172944_Drive.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 115
Remember when the US first instituted serious pollution control regulations for cars and used tailpipe concentrations (mass per volume)? The manufacturers put an air pump on the exhaust manifold to dilute the pollutants. USEPA eventually got wise and changed the rules to mass per distance.

That's what PHEVs are, an endrun around the carbon emissions goals. The vast majority are often not plugged in to charge and even if they are, the C emissions saved is small compared to BEVs. PHEVs should get no tax break. Go ahead, buy a PHEV. I have one in addition to my MY. But don't ask for an incentive.

That's what PHEVs are, an endrun around the carbon emissions goals. The vast majority are often not plugged in to charge and even if they are, the C emissions saved is small compared to BEVs. PHEVs should get no tax break. Go ahead, buy a PHEV. I have one in addition to my MY. But don't ask for an incentive.
It's not just the emissions that matter though. It's the overall impact on the planet. Clearly the BEVs have no emissions now, but they did at one point while being made. And except for those powered by solar, some electric company still has to produce the electricity to charge and recharge the car. From what I've read there is probably a substantial environmental impact to create the batteries and to eventually dispose of them. I have not yet seen a study of the overall impact of a BEV over its lifetime. It might be better than a PHEV or ICE vehicle but it's certainly not "emission free". I don't know all the facts yet and plan to learn more about this.

Remember when the US first instituted serious pollution control regulations for cars and used tailpipe concentrations (mass per volume)? The manufacturers put an air pump on the exhaust manifold to dilute the pollutants. USEPA eventually got wise and changed the rules to mass per distance.

Here's another perspective to consider. My previous Honda Odyssey got 21 MPG and 100% of the miles, of course, used gas.

I replaced it with a PHEV Pacifica, which gets 32 MPH, and 25% of the miles are gas.

In a typical 16k mile year, my Odyssey burned 762 gallons of gas. My Pacifica burns 125.
PHEV gas savings: 637 gal/year.

Compare a small SUV to my MY. A small crossover SUV gets around 30 MPG. For the example above, that'd burn 533 gallons per year. My MY burns none.

MY gas savings: 533 gallons/year

I know that this example is biased because my van is a larger vehicle. It does show that my PHEV minivan does more to reduce gas consumption than my MY. Incentivizing them both (or neither) seems reasonable to me.

Here's another perspective to consider. My previous Honda Odyssey got 21 MPG and 100% of the miles, of course, used gas.

I replaced it with a PHEV Pacifica, which gets 32 MPH, and 25% of the miles are gas.

In a typical 16k mile year, my Odyssey burned 762 gallons of gas. My Pacifica burns 125.
PHEV gas savings: 637 gal/year.

Compare a small SUV to my MY. A small crossover SUV gets around 30 MPG. For the example above, that'd burn 533 gallons per year. My MY burns none.

MY gas savings: 533 gallons/year

I know that this example is biased because my van is a larger vehicle. It does show that my PHEV minivan does more to reduce gas consumption than my MY. Incentivizing them both (or neither) seems reasonable to me.
In this comparison. If there were no phev credits, I think it would be more likely that an affordable odyssey sized ev would exist because they would sell less phevs. So really, by the phev credit existing, it took away your ability to have 762 gallons saved.

If phev incentives didn't exist there would be more money to be put towards ev incentives. Could theoretically double

J
What?
PHEV combine the advantages of both EV and ICE.
My Chevy VOLT has 75,000 miles on it. 85% of those are fully electric, at less than 200Wh/mile. The rest are miles driven on the interstate where i never had range anxiety, never altered my route, never slowed down my pace, never worried about my A/C being on, how cold or hot it was outside, nor thought once about finding charger. It didn't cost much, is cheap to insure and cheap to maintain, has the original tires, And gets 50+ MPG. Its been perfectly reliable, well built, requireing only 2 oil changes and one air filter, that cost less than any required service on a Tesla.
Sure its burned a little -very little- gas. But so does the entire support network for Tesla.

So lets recap....197Wh/Mile and 50 MPG. Definitely an example of the best of both worlds.
Two Dem Senators hold out on $3.5 trillion spending bill.
Axios reported he failed to change manchin and Sienema’s minds. They want a much smaller bill less than half of the 3.5 trillion proposed, and the EV tax credits will be an easy thing to cut or pair down in favor of other priorities. My bet is in the end there will be a credit but it will only apply to non “luxury EV’s” below 50k. NY recently changed its rebate incentive similarly

Reactions: Terminator857