Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. I get the feeling the regular price increases were definitely a deliberate tactic to soften the blow for folks who bought in 2021 and will miss out on the credit. The ones who potentially stand to make out would be folks that ordered in 2021 before most of the price hikes, but taking delivery next year.
TBH this is why I placed my order in July. $100 to lock in price and try to thread the needle for the incentives seemed like a good idea to me.

Last edited:
Do you know how many times you can delay?
I think Tesla reps make it up as they go. I waited until my EDD got close, held for a month, and then later asked for another hold. The rep had to ask his mgr and call me back. They gave me about 6 more weeks, I think. I didn't keep track of all the dates. I think initially a rep told me 3 months. Another one told me a hold would could put my deliver to April. Another one threatened to cancel my order. They're all over the place. I wouldn't be surprised if they cancelled the ability to put a delivery on hold.

BTW, you can always click "I'm ready" and take sooner. Just ask for as much as you can get.

Reactions: tangible1
I'm just coming in on this and haven't read all the way back. I apologize in advance if this has been covered.

I found a reference that said According to the latest text of the bill, the new benefit could only be used on cars that cost up to $55,000, vans that cost up to $64,000, and pick-up trucks that cost up to $75,000.

Looking it up in that copy of the full bill posted a page or two back, I found this a bit on page 1243, line 12, thru 1244, line 4:

1635817702710.png

If the Model Y is classified as Other (a car, not an SUV) that $55,000 limit is below the current price of the cheapest Y, the Long Range.
If it is classified as an SUV the $69.000 limit is no problem.

I'm just coming in on this and haven't read all the way back. I apologize in advance if this has been covered.

I found a referencethat said According to the latest text of the bill, the new benefit could only be used on cars that cost up to $55,000, vans that cost up to $64,000, and pick-up trucks that cost up to $75,000.

Looking it up in that copy of the full bill posted a page or two back, I found this a bit on page 1243, line 12, thru 1244, line 4:

View attachment 728296

If the Model Y is classified as Other (a car, not an SUV) that $55,000 limit is below the current price of the cheapest Y, the Long Range.
If it is classified as an SUV the $69.000 limit is no problem.
It was talked about earlier, MY counts as SUV so we're good if you don't add FSD.

Reactions: RHinCT
TBH this is why I placed my order in July. $100 to lock in price and try to thread the needle for the incentives seemed like a good idea to me.
Yup. Same here. Ordered end April at $6K below current MYLR price (was annoyed at the time about the price rising $1K over when I'd test driven the MY!). Not going to lie... it was certainly tempting to give into the urge for instant gratification but I haven't been in an urgent need for a new car as my current 2010 sedan is doing fine and I don't do a whole lot of driving since I've moved to remote work. I ended up finally completing my profile last week when the price for the MYLR went up $2K. EDD is probably going to be towards the latter part of Q1 2022, so if the credits come to fruition, I should be in good shape.

As my old pappy used to say, "one in the hand is worth two in the bush."

I consider myself fortunate to have taken delivery of a July order in a timely manner affording me enough time to sell my 2019 BMW 540i lease for a $3K+ profit and attaining $14,154 in real or potential savings on the purchase of my new MY. The Tesla cost me under $50K out of pocket including taxes and fees. I'll take a tax credit if passed retroactively but I already consider the purchase of my new Tesla an embarrassment of riches.

$ 3204 - BMW Profit
$ 375 - BMW Disposition
$ 672 - BMW Registration
$ 1500 - EV Credit
$ 110 - Premium Connectivity
$ 500 - Supercharger Miles
$ 3000 - MY Price increase
$ 293 - Tax on increase
$ 4500 - (interest self financing)

$14,154 (Savings)

Last edited:
We knew this would come up at the COP26, aka the United Nations Climate Change Conference UK 2021.

"Representatives from the EU and its member states Poland, Sweden, Spain, Austria, Netherlands, Belgium, Cyprus, Ireland, Malta, Finland, Romania, and Greece have written a letter to US legislators arguing elements of the proposed EV rebate plan are unfair to their own manufacturers. The objections – which both Mexico and Canada have voiced as well – don’t brandish the mother-joke-grade provocation of “protectionism,” but do argue requirements in the payback offer put “US trading partners at a disadvantage.”

"They aren’t alone in claiming the scheme is crafted to primarily benefit Detroit’s Big Three. EV giant Tesla isn’t happy about the union stipulation of the proposal. Toyota and other foreign-origin companies that similarly tend to base their US manufacturing in non-union states are protesting the plan. Several of those firms have begun lobbying California’s senators with arguments that the proposal undermines the interests of auto employees in their state."

Last edited:
But now, I'm seriously considering to hold delivery until after 1/1/202[2].... what's the best strategy to make it happen but not be put at the end of the line ???? Thanks

Me too. Per another post I made, I'm reaching out to my SA for the process of a hold. It's ironic that now that my EDD has been moved up so much that I want to move it back again. Depending on what Congress does it may be moot, of course.

Reactions: Teslitored
Well, here's what my SA said. I don't like how this sounds. What's a match? Cancel my order and buy something at an inflated cost in January? If so, that sounds like a big loser.

View attachment 728471
Match is when you get a VIN I believe. Your SA is suggesting a similar one to mine. Don’t go on hold but unmatch if you receive a vin. That’s the current path I’m going with.

Reactions: Falcon73