Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When did you complete you profile?
When did you call with your question that resulted in the hold?
I completed the profile right after my order; i.e., entered registrant info and payment method. I did not call in for the hold but had an online chat with Tesla. They got my contact number but did not call me back, instead they put the hold as of this morning :)

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Here is the text message I got from Tesla this morning:
IMG_4326.jpg

That’s interesting! My car is paid for and unless I can get them to refund me, they might just park it which wouldn’t help me or possibly make me liable for the destination and paperwork fees per the Tesla contract.

Also if I’m put to the back of the line, my car I want to sell will loose a lot more value as I put on 30k miles a year.

I believe there is language in the bill that the car needs to be manufactured before 1/1/22. Just a heads up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
The current status is that the House version of the bill states that it will be applied to vehicles purchased after December 31. The Senate version is retroactive to vehicles purchased after May 24, 2021, but it looks like the administration is leaning toward the House version. We might know more either tomorrow or later this week.

• Funny
I placed my order 6/1, but just completed my profile today. Won't take delivery until after 1/1/22. Let's see how that all works out.

I'm in this same boat. Submitted my order last week, but haven't completed my profile whatsoever as I am waiting till April to be put in line for delivery? I'm guessing you got a bunch of the emails to fill in your profile? They didn't cancel your at all?

I'm in this same boat. Submitted my order last week, but haven't completed my profile whatsoever as I am waiting till April to be put in line for delivery? I'm guessing you got a bunch of the emails to fill in your profile? They didn't cancel your at all?
I got a bunch of emails in the first 2-4-6 weeks, after that the emails pretty much stopped. I also got a call within a day or two of placing the order from the SA saying I should complete my profile asap so I can get the car asap, I told her I was in no hurry as I wanted to see what would happen with the tax bill, she said ok so no car for you this quarter and I've not heard from her since. I completed my profile today because I'll take the car any time after 1/1/22, the bill will either be signed by then (I expect by thanksgiving) or it will have failed completely. If Tesla tries to get me to take a car before the end of the year, which I think is unlikely, I'll ask to hold until January and then take delivery whenever they give it to me then. The MYLR I ordered 6/1 is up $5k in current pricing, so there's also that.

The current status is that the House version of the bill states that it will be applied to vehicles purchased after December 31. The Senate version is retroactive to vehicles purchased after May 24, 2021, but it looks like the administration is leaning toward the House version. We might know more either tomorrow or later this week.
The screenshot I posted is from the current legislation though. I'm sure you're fine but if you take delivery in the first week of the year then it may be excluded from the credit, as it stands now

The screenshot I posted is from the current legislation though. I'm sure you're fine but if you take delivery in the first week of the year then it may be excluded from the credit, as it stands now
I am not sure if we are interpreting that language correctly. If it would apply only to cars manufactured before 1/1/2022 that would be a huge limitation and only a very limited number of vehicles would qualify. It will most likely apply based on purchase date, but before the final bill passes we won't know. In my case, since I am in a position where I can wait with my current car, I decided to take the delivery after 1/1/2022.

I am not sure if we are interpreting that language correctly. If it would apply only to cars manufactured before 1/1/2022 that would be a huge limitation and only a very limited number of vehicles would qualify. It will most likely apply based on purchase date, but before the final bill passes we won't know. In my case, since I am in a position where I can wait with my current car, I decided to take the delivery after 1/1/2022.
Apologies, I meant to say the car needs to be manufactured after 12/31/21. So if you take delivery in the 1st for example, the car might be excluded from the credit because it was manufactured in 2021.

Do we really need the tax credit? Haven't we had enough free money in this country yet? Our great grandchildren will be saddled with debt we can't afford.
I really can afford to buy the MY no matter what happen with the EV Tax credit. If passes or not I will still buy it... but if the EV Tax credit is available to everyone, why shouldn't get it ???

But if the EV Tax credit is available to everyone, why shouldn't get it ???
If it works like last time, not everyone was eligible. You have to have 7500 (or whatever the credit is) in tax liability.
Tesla has been raising prices on their cars over the past year or so, IMO, in anticipation of the tax credit. So even if you get the credit, you'll pay what you did a year ago for a new car. Tesla effectively gets the credit.

If it works like last time, not everyone was eligible. You have to have 7500 (or whatever the credit is) in tax liability.
Tesla has been raising prices on their cars over the past year or so, IMO, in anticipation of the tax credit. So even if you get the credit, you'll pay what you did a year ago for a new car. Tesla effectively gets the credit.
Fair point but there are a lot of folks now who have locked in at the price from in or around June/July. That price and tax incentives is awful attractive.

My understanding is that the plan being looked at now makes it a rebate and effectively you get the credit regardless of your effective income. The current version of the ev incentives will only max payout if your tax liability is high enough.

• Funny