Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Off topic, but I just gotta know…

What is so funny, @ElectricIAC ?

1637426708111.png
🤔 😂

Last edited:
Disagree. Someone who can afford a 100k + premium EV like an EQS or a plaid should absolutely not be getting any sort of tax break whatsoever.
Why? Maybe he’s considered similar priced ICE car and the additional rebate might push him over to EV. Isn’t that what the ultimate goal is here? This also encourages more smaller auto companies to put in R&D into EV otherwise the initial cost of producing cars will be too high. Even though rebate is to the consumer but looking it another way it’s a stimulus for EV manufactures.

Why? Maybe he’s considered similar priced ICE car and the additional rebate might push him over to EV. Isn’t that what the ultimate goal is here? This also encourages more smaller auto companies to put in R&D into EV otherwise the initial cost of producing cars will be too high. Even though rebate is to the consumer but looking it another way it’s a stimulus for EV manufactures.
Someone with the means is going to pick what they want when they want it, perceived cost benefits be damned.
I know this because this is quite literally my business.

The goal with any subsidy/tax benefit should be to aid those who otherwise would not have the choice open to them financially -- The wholesale proliferation game has already been tried and we should move past it.

So is the Model Y a sedan or an SUV? The bill says "For purposes of this subsection, the Secretary shall prescribe regulations for determining vehicle classifications using criteria similar to that employed by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Energy to determine size and class of vehicles."

Last time I hunted around for the definition a SUV for EPA purposes had a GVWR >6000 lbs. The MYLR is about 5300. Note that these government definitions are almost completely unrelated to the common usage of terms. If it's not legally an SUV it's not going to qualify.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
So is the Model Y a sedan or an SUV? The bill says "For purposes of this subsection, the Secretary shall prescribe regulations for determining vehicle classifications using criteria similar to that employed by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Energy to determine size and class of vehicles."

Last time I hunted around for the definition a SUV for EPA purposes had a GVWR >6000 lbs. The MYLR is about 5300. Note that these government definitions are almost completely unrelated to the common usage of terms. If it's not legally an SUV it's not going to qualify.
SUV/Crossover

Disagree. Someone who can afford a 100k + premium EV like an EQS or a plaid should absolutely not be getting any sort of tax break whatsoever.
I have to disagree.

1) Making over that CAP does not mean you can afford a $100k car. And if you leave in a premium plus area, then even less.
2) If you considered a similar priced ICE car, the additional rebate might probably push you to an EV. Otherwise you might just get an ICE car

Disagree, the credit has a dollar limit on the vehicle purchase price. 'Affordability' is none of anyone's business, most of all the governments.

As a person of means, I wouldn't drive a lowly Model 3 just get a rebate anyway (as I sit here waiting for '22 with my model 3 order on hold) ;-)

The NHTSA classifies the Tesla Y as an SUV.

Fueleconomy.gov, another government agency, also classifies as an SUV:

Unless you saw another definition in the bill that classifies an SUV, I suggest what you're asserting is misinformation that has no authoritative source / backing.

Apologies if this question was answered in one of the 90 pages earlier :) Assuming proposed tax credit becomes effective in Jan 2022, is there a limit on the number of Tesla's one could consider for tax credits? If there is a limit of one EV per person or household, in scenarios where husband and wife filing joint taxes, each one should have separate booking incase of two Tesla purchases?

Apologies if this question was answered in one of the 90 pages earlier :) Assuming proposed tax credit becomes effective in Jan 2022, is there a limit on the number of Tesla's one could consider for tax credits? If there is a limit of one EV per person or household, in scenarios where husband and wife filing joint taxes, each one should have separate booking incase of two Tesla purchases?
no matter what tax tricks you do, you can get one car per year with the tax credit. (Please correct me if I am wrong).

• Informative
Disagree, the credit has a dollar limit on the vehicle purchase price. 'Affordability' is none of anyone's business, most of all the governments.

As a person of means, I wouldn't drive a lowly Model 3 just get a rebate anyway (as I sit here waiting for '22 with my model 3 order on hold) ;-)
When the tax payer has to essentially pick up part of the tab then yes it is the governments (and more importantly the public’s) buisness, not to mention the government knows what you make anyway through your tax filings so that very notion is kinda silly.

• Informative
Someone with the means is going to pick what they want when they want it, perceived cost benefits be damned.
I know this because this is quite literally my business.

The goal with any subsidy/tax benefit should be to aid those who otherwise would not have the choice open to them financially -- The wholesale proliferation game has already been tried and we should move past it.
You said it perfectly. Ridiculous to subsidize those with very high incomes, into a high end car.

When the tax payer has to essentially pick up part of the tab then yes it is the governments (and more importantly the public’s) buisness, not to mention the government knows what you make anyway through your tax filings so that very notion is kinda silly.

Is it more important to get EVs on the road or worrying about who gets a deal? Let's not perfection get in the way getting rid of ICE.

no matter what tax tricks you do, you can get one car per year with the tax credit. (Please correct me if I am wrong).
a quick search brings this. Though they say consult with a tax professional, it looks OK to claim more than one EV per year

• Funny