Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can certainly appreciate there will be differences between $100/150/200K HHI in Omaha and San Francisco which is why it should be post-deduction and adjusted based on place of residence reference COL.

Ahh ... so if a household chooses to live in the most desirable location, has lots of children, and sends them to private schools then they are the befitting recipients of your generosity.

Huh

I can certainly appreciate there will be differences between $100/150/200K HHI in Omaha and San Francisco which is why it should be post-deduction and adjusted based on place of residence reference COL.

I also like the idea of an open voucher system combined with a MSRP cap for those eligible that would curtail some of the voodoo math manufacturers and dealers would otherwise attempt. (Would go into cap cost reduction under a lease or down payment assistance on a purchase)
Its exactly this line of thinking that has created the complex and somewhat chaotic tax codes that plague our country. Who collects the COL data? How often is it adjusted?

Somewhat of a tangent but I'm pretty sure when you as a buyer lease the car, you get zero EV tax credits under the current laws, and I'm pretty sure the new proposal doesn't do anything to change this detail.

(edit) You sure downvote a lot. So what's your plan to calculate COL? Does it factor in SALT as part of the income adjustment? How often do you adjust? Does the income cap ever go down? Do we setup a new government agency just to keep track of this or adopt something already in place?

If you're going to propose these ideas, you should be thinking of second order consequences and complexity, and not negging on someone for pointing out possible challenges.

Last edited:
I indicated that I still wanted the car and to not cancel the order. I should have also said please keep my order on hold.
They took mine off of hold (without me requesting this) after two people from Tesla said they would put it back on hold. Then, they gave me a vin and started texting me to pick up the car. This was yesterday, the hold was for March 2022, they wanted me to pick up the car in November.

Agree, the low-income limits should not be a part of the spending bills; however, it's good if that means more deliveries this quarter for people who are not penny-pinching and delaying.
I completely agree with this comment. Income limits don’t belong in this bill unless people with higher incomes aren’t incentivized by the credit. The primary reason income limits are in there is because of the optics. This bill isn’t about helping out the little guy buy an EV, it is about putting more EVs on the road. A couple making 500K absolutely will be incentivized by an 8K tax credit regardless of whether they “need” it. (And by the way, who “needs” an EV. Nobody!) I also think this bill is as much about the manufactures as the consumers. Making this credit available underwrites their EVs, and will bring more manufacturers and EV models to the table. We have a long way to go to get to 50% EV sales in 8 years, but this bill will do a lot to help get us there. No reason to cut it off at the knees.

I completely agree with this comment. Income limits don’t belong in this bill unless people with higher incomes aren’t incentivized by the credit. The primary reason income limits are in there is because of the optics. This bill isn’t about helping out the little guy buy an EV, it is about putting more EVs on the road. A couple making 500K absolutely will be incentivized by an 8K tax credit regardless of whether they “need” it. (And by the way, who “needs” an EV. Nobody!) I also think this bill is as much about the manufactures as the consumers. Making this credit available underwrites their EVs, and will bring more manufacturers and EV models to the table. We have a long way to go to get to 50% EV sales in 8 years, but this bill will do a lot to help get us there. No reason to cut it off at the knees.
The couple making 500k will buy a GLE63, RSQ8 or X5 M over a PYD or even MXP 9/10 times in my experience as someone in the auto business.

That’s funny. I see plenty of folks making over 500K in my area driving a Prius too.
Perhaps I should elaborate on my remark a bit though…I’ve also had various converts back to some of the previously mentioned cars from Teslæ due to complaints regarding servicing and or build quality. No amount of tax credits is going to fix or temper the abysmal experience regarding that unless you have the time and patience to learn the Tesla Service Center song and dance: Many don’t.

That’s not a Tesla buyer then, clearly. Maybe something suitable for them would be the upcoming ID3, which they should certainly be able to afford WITHOUT daddy.gov’s warm embrace.
I need to call out your choice of words. This part of the bill isn’t intended to help people “afford” an EV. (For a contrast, see the Affordable Healthcare Plan.) Instead, it is intended to incentivize buyers to buy one type of car (an EV) over another (an ICE). If you are using the word “afford” to describe this bill, you’re using the wrong word. As an incentive, it should work across many income levels.

They took mine off of hold (without me requesting this) after two people from Tesla said they would put it back on hold. Then, they gave me a vin and started texting me to pick up the car. This was yesterday, the hold was for March 2022, they wanted me to pick up the car in November.

Unless you are buying an inventory car, you have no concrete date on when that car will be delivered, just some hand waiving of a future date which is fluid to say the least. Tesla realized that this uncertainty could cause some problems with people suddenly being told of a delivery while on vacation or not having their financing in place for that date, so they can offer up an exception to delay the delivery to accommodate buyers in those situations. But trying to exploit Tesla's good faith gesture and extending delivery beyond these circumstances is not something Tesla has to honor. They might have done that before, does not mean that they have to keep on doing that indefinitely. They are running a business and have to answer to shareholders, it is their responsibility to sell as many cars as fast as they can to increase their profitability and stock price.

You placed an order for car, you signed a contract to do so. Tesla is holding up their end of the deal and the car you agreed to buy is now ready. If the buyer is not willing to accept delivery at that time or beyond the small delay Tesla has allowed to accommodate issues like on vacation or to get financing in place, then they have no obligation to keep on extending that delivery just because the buyer wants to double dip or it is not convenient for them. Sorry, an order was placed and it is now ready. Give me one example of another other vendor who will keep your yet unpaid ordered item around indefinitely waiting for you decide when to pick it up, at the same price it was when you placed that order.

So what if Tesla implemented a third option here.

If you want to delay the order you placed beyond some grace period that Tesla has created to deal with people on vacation or trying to get financing in place, then the price is no longer locked to that original date the contract was effectively signed by the potential buyer and it slides. You get one 30 day extension but that comes with the caveat that you also accept the price 30 days after you placed your order. So if you placed your order just before a price increase, sorry, but now the price has just gone up. You only get one delay, then you forfeit your order, up to Tesla to refund your deposit or not. They fulfilled their end of the deal, the car you ordered is ready. If you are not taking delivery, then you are the one breaking the contract.

I know those trying to double dip on locked in price and potential EV rebates are not going to like it, but they should put themselves in Tesla's shoes. It's okay to expect the price when the order was placed if the seller is unable to deliver product at that time, i.e. not an inventory car. But by any reasonable expectation, once you submit an order for a new car, you want to buy it now. And once that supply bottleneck has been resolved and your ordered car is ready, then they are delivering what you requested. Tesla owes you nothing.

You placed an order for car, you signed a contract to do so. Tesla is holding up their end of the deal and the car you agreed to buy is now ready. If the buyer is not willing to accept delivery at that time or beyond the small delay Tesla has allowed to accommodate issues like on vacation or to get financing in place, then they have no obligation to keep on extending that delivery just because the buyer wants to double dip or it is not convenient for them.

Yup

You get one 30 day extension but that comes with the caveat that you also accept the price 30 days after you placed your order.

That is news to me, but I get it.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
The delivery time-frame for my Model Y AWD/Blue/Hitch ordered 9/29 had been stable for March 2022 for a long time, but just changed to Dec 09 - 27.

Interesting !

Obviously not my preference if I miss out on the tax credit by a few days, but I'll decide what to do based on the choices Tesla offers. My first reaction is to consider flipping the car and then getting back in line for a Made in Austin, 4680/Dual_cast.

The couple making 500k will buy a GLE63, RSQ8 or X5 M over a PYD or even MXP 9/10 times in my experience as someone in the auto business.
Depends. Have you been in California? Tons of tech folks in the Bay Area can buy 12 mpg urus, but the area is probably Tesla’s #1 sales region.

Perhaps I should elaborate on my remark a bit though…I’ve also had various converts back to some of the previously mentioned cars from Teslæ due to complaints regarding servicing and or build quality. No amount of tax credits is going to fix or temper the abysmal experience regarding that unless you have the time and patience to learn the Tesla Service Center song and dance: Many don’t.
And that’s another thing, complaining about service and build quality, sure, but alot don’t convert away too.
A lot of well to do folks value time. Think about all the extra time NOT getting gas and going into a fancy dealership for oil changes and major service. Nice coffee, lounge areas are nice, but not having to go there is even better

As mentioned before, the goal is for more EV’s to be on the road, and the bill will do that, even if unfortunately this means having high income folks benefiting in the beginning. Low priced EV for the masses just isn’t here yet. They had fiat, e-golf, but the range isn’t good enough for most.

• Informative