Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends. Have you been in California? Tons of tech folks in the Bay Area can buy 12 mpg urus, but the area is probably Tesla’s #1 sales region.

And that’s another thing, complaining about service and build quality, sure, but alot don’t convert away too.
A lot of well to do folks value time. Think about all the extra time NOT getting gas and going into a fancy dealership for oil changes and major service. Nice coffee, lounge areas are nice, but not having to go there is even better

As mentioned before, the goal is for more EV’s to be on the road, and the bill will do that, even if unfortunately this means having high income folks benefiting in the beginning. Low priced EV for the masses just isn’t here yet. They had fiat, e-golf, but the range isn’t good enough for most.
I was just citing some examples.

And as far as getting your car serviced, Not a single store I work with won’t at least offer courtesy drop off and pickup including loaners (even if they have to hand you the GM’s demo car or pull a new unsold unit off the lot to make it happen) vs bullshit Uber credits that you can’t even use to give the driver a nice tip with.

• Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush and glide
May 2021, MYP.

For the 3k, I would rather wait for the new battery/casting regardless of the potential credit. Or, to see if Tesla will sell me a trimotor Cybertruck (I'm completely skeptical about that though).
They’ll sell you it but I’m 99.999% sure it won’t be for $69,000. They CYA’d themselves pretty well on that end.

Rebuttal:

Wealthy people will tend to favor Tesla over other Prestige cars because they offer no way to charge quickly on road trips. Supercharger network will be the deciding factor for many.

With Giga Factories coming on line in Texas, Germany, and large expansion in China, I imagine that wait lists will be compressed. There will also be CyberTrucks and in a couple years, perhaps a $25,000ish smaller offering. If incentives are focused on USA produced vehicles, then more of these factories will be build in US.

In other words, profits from selling lots of cars now with incentives will induce Tesla to expand even quicker, and the legacy and additonal upstart manufacturers will come on line.

Putting restrictions on incentives for the wealthy, Union membership, etc all will only slow down the electrification of personal travel. The idea is to incentivise as many buyers as possible to choose electric or plug in hybrid.

Giving Union production preference would be like requiring Union membership to vote in elections :( UnAmerican to say the least.

There are always going to be people that will suffer from FOMO. They will find almost any excuse to not accept the production of today, while waiting for the next improvement. You can only buy what is available now...never able to buy the future.
The best time to buy a Tesla is yesterday.

They took mine off of hold (without me requesting this) after two people from Tesla said they would put it back on hold. Then, they gave me a vin and started texting me to pick up the car. This was yesterday, the hold was for March 2022, they wanted me to pick up the car in November.

I don’t think you are the only one. Tesla is forcing people to accept cars and unholding them

Even if Tesla originally promised them 2022 holds. See above.

My hold is unique in that my EDD was late Jan 2022 and I bought a demo MYLR off the inventory in Oct and the Tesla SA gave me a 6 month hold… I didn’t even ask for that long. It was supposed to be a backup order in case something happened to my MYLR.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Perhaps I should elaborate on my remark a bit though…I’ve also had various converts back to some of the previously mentioned cars from Teslæ due to complaints regarding servicing and or build quality. No amount of tax credits is going to fix or temper the abysmal experience regarding that unless you have the time and patience to learn the Tesla Service Center song and dance: Many don’t.
Purely anecdotal but I know 2 people (High income) personally who gave up on Tesla and went back to luxary ICE cars after having model s’s, for the reasons you mentioned above. Not everyone who gets one is a life time convert especially after you have to go to the service center a half dozen times for quality issues

People of all brands tend to keep their options open when new car time comes around. Not unexpected to have someone with one brand opting for another.

Every auto ownership forum has people complaining about poor service and reliability. Tesla is not unique here.

At one time Tesla was a very rare and unique choice. Now they are much more common.

People of all brands tend to keep their options open when new car time comes around. Not unexpected to have someone with one brand opting for another.

Every auto ownership forum has people complaining about poor service and reliability. Tesla is not unique here.

At one time Tesla was a very rare and unique choice. Now they are much more common.
And it’s that commonality that has degraded the service experience since Tesla has been glacially slow at expanding their own support infrastructure for the cars they’ve produced while at the same time being unapologetically and vehemently unsupportive of independent shops.

Support infrastructure has been viciously blocked in many states by laws supporting the franchise dealers

Absolutely!
But to be fair, the crony capitalism has been anti-Tesla in one specific way: when Tesla wants to open a service center. If Tesla wanted to, they could let independent shops service Tesla. I hope they do.

From what I see of Norway through the Bjorn Nyland videos, independents service Tesla.

Absolutely!
But to be fair, the crony capitalism has been anti-Tesla in one specific way: when Tesla wants to open a service center. If Tesla wanted to, they could let independent shops service Tesla. I hope they do.

From what I see of Norway through the Bjorn Nyland videos, independents service Tesla.
As far as I know those are just general services with more specialized ones being possible because S/X were literally part bin cars (They shared parts commonality with several manufacturers) for many components.

As far as I know those are just general services with more specialized ones being possible because Tesla were literally part bin cars (They shared parts commonality with several manufacturers) for many components until the Model 3’s introduction.

IIRC, Bjorn showed two garages that have and use the Tesla diagnostics software. I don't know if Tesla will sell them parts, but as you say, that still lets them do a lot.

They’ll sell you it but I’m 99.999% sure it won’t be for $69,000. They CYA’d themselves pretty well on that end.
I have a Cybertruck on reserve and I did it when they posted the prices. If you look at the CT link there is no longer prices listed. I have to believe the trucks will be sold more than we all agreed to when we reserved a year ago however, I think those who did reserve will pay less than anybody buying when they are in production. I could be wrong but I have to think there should be an incentive for us folks who reserved way in advance.

• Funny
I have a Cybertruck on reserve and I did it when they posted the prices. If you look at the CT link there is no longer prices listed. I have to believe the trucks will be sold more than we all agreed to when we reserved a year ago however, I think those who did reserve will pay less than anybody buying when they are in production. I could be wrong but I have to think there should be an incentive for us folks who reserved way in advance.
Maybe locked in FSD price but that’s probably it.

Purely anecdotal but I know 2 people (High income) personally who gave up on Tesla and went back to luxary ICE cars after having model s’s, for the reasons you mentioned above. Not everyone who gets one is a life time convert especially after you have to go to the service center a half dozen times for quality issues
i had a model 3 and then Y. I now drive Hyundai Palisade.

i couldn't take the amount of time i was spending with Tesla Devon PA service center to get my early MY build issues, gave up on their shitty a** pathetic customer service. last thing that broke the camels back was when they told me i will get a loaner and when i got there, they said no loaner. i live 60 miles away and they were suppose to keep the car for 2 weeks at least. i had to scream through the roof to get a enterprise ICE car loaner on Tesla's dime. never again until Tesla opens service center near me.

i had a model 3 and then Y. I now drive Hyundai Palisade.

i couldn't take the amount of time i was spending with Tesla Devon PA service center to get my early MY build issues, gave up on their shitty a** pathetic customer service. last thing that broke the camels back was when they told me i will get a loaner and when i got there, they said no loaner. i live 60 miles away and they were suppose to keep the car for 2 weeks at least. i had to scream through the roof to get a enterprise ICE car loaner on Tesla's dime. never again until Tesla opens service center near me.
If i wasn’t able to pick up a phone and request a demo car to drive around pretty much whenever I need it, we probably would not have gone to being an all-Tesla household.